Giblert Hayhurst died 1826 to 1827, nr Kendal, Westomorland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giblert Hayhurst died 1826 to 1827, nr Kendal, Westomorland

Please, can anyone find a burial or death date for Gilbert Hayhurst in 1826 or 1827.

I have all the details of his life with proof for all of them, except for an exact date of death ...................

Born born 05 Feb 1792 at Milton Mill, Preston Patrick/Preston Richard, Sedbergh, baptised 22 April 1792 in Preston Patrick, Yorkshire.

Married Jane Goose on 9 June 1813 at St Michael the Archangel, Whittington, Lancashire.

They had 5 children, the last was born in 1826 and baptised 15 October 1826, Preston Patrick.

His wife is shown as a widow on the 1841 Census, living at Milton Mill, Kendal

The only other reference I had found to Gilbert until a few weeks ago was in the marriage notice of his daughter Alice (b. 1818) to Joseph Parker ..........

Saturday 19 May 1838 , Westmorland Gazette , Cumbria, England
    At Heversham. on Saturday tbe instant, the Ret. Dr. Lavvson, Mr. Joseph
    Parker, Crooklands, to daughter of the late Gilbert Hayhurst

A few weeks ago I found two Public Family Trees on ancestry that had Gilbert's death as 8 November 1826, Preston Patrick ......... but no documentation

A friend found a reference in the Index to Death Duty Registers Transcription on FMP to him, with death year 1827 ............

Gilbert Hayhurst
    Death Year:- 1827
    Residence:- Milton Mill
    Court:- All Courts excluding FOC
    Record Set:- Index to Death Duty Registers 1796-1903
    TNA Ref:- IR27/109
    Category:- Birth, Marriage, Death and Probate Records
    Sub-category:- Wills and Probate

She also found a reference on the National Archives to an Administration Bond being issued on 9 June 1827 ...................

Name: Hayhurst, Gilbert
    Address: Milton Mill, Burton In Kendal, Kendal, Westmorland
    Reference: R 520/55
    Description: Name: Hayhurst, Gilbert
    Address: Milton Hill, Burton In Kendal, Kendal, Westmorland
    Contents: Administration Bond
    Date: 1827 Jun 9
    Held by: Lancashire Archives, not available at The national Archives
    Language: English

This record is held by Lancashire Archives

Milton Hill should be Milton Mill, Kendal, Westmorland.

I've tried seeing the actual Death Duty Registration and the Administration Bond, but don't seem able to do it online ...... unless I am doing something wrong

but I cannot find the proof for death date of 8 November 1826 in the ancestry trees ...............

there just seems to be no burial, no obituary, etc etc ....... at least, not online

I was hoping to be able to find the date myself, without contacting the tree owners ....... but I think I'm going to have to do that, unless someone here can provide a miracle :D
    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

This is just a suggestion. I have counted 9 public member trees on Ancestry for Gilbert Hayhurst. Most seem to agree the exception being the death date which goes from 1826 to 1836 with Barrow-in-Furness mentioned as his death place. Unfortunately none have mentioned their source. Why don't you send the owner(s) of the tree(s) a message through Ancestry and ask for more information? It's worth a try.
    Vonny

Comment

Cumbria Archives have centres in Carlisle, Kendal, Barrow and Whitehaven .... its a big county! Although I do lookups in Carlisle Cumbria it is a long drive to Kendal and I suspect would cost me more than a short search by the Archivist.

I think you should try emailing Kendal Archives and find out if they do hold the PRs for Burton in Kendal and what their charges would be for a search. You have a narrow range of dates so it should not take long too look for a burial and hence not cost too much. (They might say Lancaster hold the PRs but you could email them too.) You could ask if copies are held on film at Carlisle and if they are I could look for you.

Anne

Comment

I think this is the burial many of the public trees on Ancestry are quoting:
        Burial: 23 May 1836 St John the Baptist, Tunstall, Lancashire, England
        Gilbert Hayhurst -
        Abode: Burrow
        Buried by: Rob't Dunderdale Curate
        Register: Burials 1813 - 1884, Page 35, Entry 280
        Source: LDS Film 1517648
        The only problem with this is that it puts his d.o.b. around 1805.
        Vonny

Comment

Originally posted by Vonny North West View Post
          I think this is the burial many of the public trees on Ancestry are quoting:
          Burial: 23 May 1836 St John the Baptist, Tunstall, Lancashire, England
          Gilbert Hayhurst -
          Abode: Burrow
          Buried by: Rob't Dunderdale Curate
          Register: Burials 1813 - 1884, Page 35, Entry 280
          The only problem with this is that it puts his d.o.b. around 1805.
          Vonny
          I think the burial Vonny found is of this person - and therefore NOT your man.

Baptism: 11 Jul 1804 St John the Baptist, Tunstall, Lancashire, England
          Gilbert Hayherst - son of John Hayherst & Elizabeth
          Born: 24 Jun 1804
          Abode: Thurland Mill

Christine
          Researching:
          HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Vonny ............. I'm being a bit stubborn, and hoping to find the information myself without having to contact the ancestry people. I do know most of those trees have other facts wrong.

Anne ............ thank you for that information re the archives

There are two Gilbert Hayhursts of similar age, both with wives called Jane, one is mine while the other was born in Lancashire and continues to live in Lancashire until he dies in 1852, but he is a tailor not a miller.

There are in fact two families of Hayhurst who are millers and farmers, both families move back and forth from the Whittington area of Lancashire to the Kendal area, often exchanging mills, both like the names Gilbert, Cuthbert, Thomas and William and like to marry women called Jane or Elizabeth. Both have connections to the Quakers, but do get married, baptised and buried in CofE churches

It makes researching them very difficult ........ hence a lot of the wrong information on ancestry trees.

The two families HAVE to be connected, but no-one researching the English Hayhursts has found the connection. I'm back to 1725 with certainty on my line, others have got back to 1625.

I think the Gilbert who died in 1836 is the other family.

There is a Cuthbert Hayhurst who emigrated on William Penn's Second Fleet to Pennsylvania in 1682, dying just 6 months after they arrived there. His family were later excommunicated for some reason, but they are considered to be the ancestors of all Hayhursts in the US. American Hayhursts have done a lot of research on these Hayhursts, and have got them back to 1540.

The English Hayhursts have to be connected ............ but the evidence has yet to be uncovered.
            My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Sylvia, I do understand what you are trying to do - what a task you have set yourself. I have had a look back at Hayhurst families recorded on family search .org which indeed do go back to the early 1600's. I did see the Gilbert Hayhurst who was a tailor on the 1851 census, his d.o.b. was 1789 also born in Whittington. I will keep my eyes peeled just in case I do come across something that you might be interested in.
              Vonny

Comment

Thank you, Vonny

I know I'm a stubborn old cuss ....... and I probably will have to give in and contact those 2 on ancestry ;D

The ancestry community boards have a mountain of information on the American Hayhursts and their ancestors in England, including old wills etc etc, and (for once) it all seems accurate .........

.......... but it's all no good to me unless I can find the connection between my Cuthbert born in 1725 in Sedbergh and their Cuthbert who emigrated in 1689.

It is Gilbert's death that is really puzzling me, as there is just no record of it ........ nothing that I can see in the local paper for example, yet he was the local miller and presumably well known in the area.
                Last edited by Sylvia C; 04-04-15, 00:01.

Comment

Anne in Carlisle ..............

I found a link to CASCAT - Cumbria Archives last week, but have been having trouble working out how to get the best use of the site :(

Comment

Hi Sylvia, you probably have this anyway, I was looking at the marriage of Gilbert and Jane Goose, http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...26pgplz0q3dpid
                    The witnesses are Thomas Hayhurst and John Hayhurst, would these be brothers? Also on the marriage it is stated that both 21 - of age. I found a baptism for Jane in Garstang Lancs born 1786, also on the 1841 her age is stated as 53 with and approx. d.o.b. of 1788. http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...26pgplz0q3dpid
                    Baptism: 29 Jan 1786 St Helen, Garstang, Lancashire, England
                    Jane Goose - Dau of Robert Goose & Jinny
                    Abode: Catterall
                    Register: Baptisms 1780 - 1800, Page 46, Entry 5
                    Source: LDS Film 1278886
                    You did say the Hayhursts moved around from place to place so I have had a look at where their children were born. Jane b. 1814 and Mary b. 1816 Sedbergh Yorkshire.
                    Alice,b. 1818 Greta Mill Tunstall, and the only parish record of the event I could pull up, right hand page about 4th down. http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...26pgplz0q3dpid
                    Robert b.1822 and Elizabeth b. 1826 Preston Patrick. My thoughts were trying to find places which were know to Gilbert and perhaps his death could have happened in Yorkshire?
                    Vonny

Comment

I am sure this is your Cuthberts baptism http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...iv=1&ml_rpos=1 His name is in the Latin idiom? His father is Christopheri and I have a christening for him for 1705 https://familysearch.org/search/tree...r%3A1700-1706~
                      This is possibly his marriage in 1746 http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...iv=1&ml_rpos=8
                      Vonny.

Comment

Found this, all it really proves is that Gilbert was in Sedbergh until 1817 before moving to Tunstall http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...iv=1&ml_rpos=1
                        This might interest you, the master and his wife could be related? http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Kendal/Kendal1881.shtml
                        Vonny

Comment

This makes interesting reading, mention of Gilbert Hayhurst another miller and farmer, could this be the second family you mention?

Vonny

Comment

Hi Sylvia, I give up! Nowhere is there a death or burial for Gilbert, I feel as frustrated as you obviously do. Found some interesting things along the way though and enjoyed the journey! Please read fully the last post and especially scroll down the website, I found it really interesting. This is the contact address for the probate record that you have and perhaps they will be able to give you more information on the document you already have.
                            ◾Cumbria Archive Centre, Kendal
                            Kendal County Offices
                            Kendal
                            LA9 4RQ
                            Tel:01539 713540 or 713539
                            Fax:01539 773538
                            Email: kendal.archives@cumbriacc.gov.uk
                            Do let us know if you find anymore out.
                            Vonny

Comment

Hi Vonny

thank you for all your digging

It seems likely to me that Gilbert died at Milton Mill ............. both the Index to Death Duty Registers and the reference to an Administration Bond found in the National Archives give his address as Milton Mill, Kendal, Westmorland (posted in my OP)

I do think that the witnesses on Gilbert's marriage were his brothers ...... he had a brother Thomas born 2 April 1795 and a brother John born 29 May 1797, both in Sedbergh. I also suspect that was Jane Goose's baptism

Yes, that is my Cuthbert's baptism, with father Christopher.

I had found that possible baptism for Christopher, but been unable to definitely say he was mine.

I don't think that the Ann Hatch who married a Christopher in 1746 could be my Cuthbert's mother ..... step mother may be???

I did find a submitted record on family search that a Cuthbert Hayhurst married Jennet Walker on 19 October 1748 in Slaidburn, Yorkshire. There is also a submitted record that a Jennet Walker was baptized ca 1728 or 1739, in Graddall, Slaidburn (no parents shown). No proof as yet, but Isuspect this is "my" Cuthbert

I had not found that Land Tax record ....... thank you.

I have looked at the Thomas Hayhurst workhouse master, born in Lupton ............. and I have tried to follow him, but I think not a close relative of my OH's direct line.

I think that Morland War Memorial is the other family .............. but I shall follow it up to make sure.

There is one certain child of Cuthbert Hayhurst (and possibly Jennet) ............. Robert Hayhurst was born 1767 in Slaidburn, Yorkshire, England, and was baptized 10 May 1767, Slaidburn (England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975). This is Gilbert's father and thus OH's 5 x gt grandfather .......... who was also apparently a devout Quaker who preached at Brigg Flatts Meeting House in Sedbergh, while getting baptised etc in the CofE.

Robert married twice ........... 1. Mary Newton on 11 June 1791, died ca 1799; and 2. Mary Ellishaw sometime between 1799 and 1806. He had 3 children with Mary Newton between 1792 (Gilbert) and 1797, baptised at either Preston Patrick (Gilbert) or Sedbergh. He then had 2 children with Mary Ellishaw in 1803 and 1805, both baptised in Sedbergh. BY 1841, Robert and Mary Ellishaw was living in Kirby Lonsdale. In other words, he doesn't seem to have moved around as much

Robert's birth seems a long time after the submitted record of the marriage to Jennet, but there are also several other children born in Slaidburn between 1758 and 1767 with father Cuthbert. All are extracted records (not submitted), and I assume that they are possibly / probably siblings of Robert ............

Christr Hayhurst was christened 27 August 1749, Slaidburn

Thomas Hayhurst was christened 5 March 1758, Slaidburn

Jennet Hayhurst was christened 31 August 1760, Slaidburn

William Hayhurst was christened 2 January 1763, Slaidburn

Gilbert Hayhurst christened 25 December 1764, Slaidburn

There should probably be more children.

The truly intriguing thing about this family to me is that I chose the name Jennet for my own daughter without knowing anything about the history of OH's family ................. right down to the Jennet born in 1858 and known to my f-i-l until her death in Liverpool in 1938. I had seen the name in a novel I read in the mid-1960s, and loved it but here it keeps occurring, all the way back to the 16th century!

Comment

Hi Vonny

thank you for your last post ............... I was writing my long reply to all your other findings!!

Thank you so much for all the digging you have been doing .......... and for that email address. I shall contact them, and see if they can help me any further.

I will indeed keep you posted

sylvia

Comment

HI Sylvia, love the history, it just makes me want to go on looking!! Found this which might be an explanation for no record of burial for Gilbert.
                                  Waymarking.com is a way to mark unique locations on the planet and give them a voice. While GPS technology allows us to pinpoint any location on the planet, mark the location, and share it with others, Waymarking is the toolset for categorizing and adding unique information for that location.

It describes private burial ground for Quaker's. I will leave you to read it.
                                  Yes, I found the second marriage for Robert Hayhurst, and all the other children. I will re-visit the family again, I am much too tired now. My cat seems to want to take over my chair so I will call it a day.
                                  Vonny

Comment

Vonny ......

thank you for all your work.

That waymarking site is interesting ............ and a possibility, although the Hayhursts (in both families) did seem to get baptised etc in CofE churches, something that has puzzled me if they were strict enough Quakers to be "persecuted"! Trying to fit under the radar maybe!

Sleep tight!

Comment

BTW ..................

Sergeant Stephen Hayhurst (the Morland War Memorial) was the grandson of Robert Hayhurst. b. 1822, and thus the great grandson of Gilbert Hayhurst and Jane Goose

I should have read my records a little more carefully!

Robert Hayhurst married Ann Richardson in 1849, and they then had 14 children ............. their 3rd child Gilbert was born in 1850 and married Sarah Burrow (or Barrow) in 1875.

I noticed that memorial also mentioned a brother Cornelius .......... he was the youngest child.

Comment

I've been following up on Stephen Hayhurst and his brother Cornelius who were both killed in WW1, and who turned out to be gt grandsons of the Gilbert whose death is so puzzling.

Cornelius actually served in the Canadian army, joining up in British Columbia ........... so all his records are on the Canadian war records.

But the research has also led me to the following ..............

at least 3 of their brothers emigrated to Canada between about 1901 and 1912.

One of them went to Alberta, became a Federal MP for 1 term in the late 1930s, and then built a resort in the Rockies which opened in 1941 ................

.................. allegedly he still haunts the place .............. a white haired old man is seen in and near the resort

One of the other brothers ended up in Manitoba, and one of his sons was named Cornelius in honour of the WW1 soldier. Young Cornelius joined up for WW2, and was killed in 1942 at the age of 19 seemingly on Vancouver Island as his grave is in Nanaimo Cemetery, Nanaimo being a place we visit 3 or 4 times a year :o

The third brother went to Saskatchewan, and I haven't found anything on him yet!

I don't normally follow the families of siblings, but this one has become very interesting :D

unfortunately, nothing has given me any further leads to Gilbert's date of death

Comment

Working...
                                        X