those with convict knowledge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• those with convict knowledge

the conduct reports in convict registers, usually record family details don't they? so if they don't, do you assume there was no surviving family?

Kyle,

What records are you meaning when you say conduct reports.

Tora

Comment

Records about the conduct of convicts serving their sentence.

Comment

where are they Kyle

Comment

Kyle's talking about Australian convict records.

I'm not sure if you can assume anything from the lack of information, though.

Comment

I never assume anything from the absence of information on any record .................

and am often suspicious when the information is there :D
            My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Kyle, have several (four) convicts in my brother in laws family and I cannot remember any family members details on their records, just individual write ups on the persons age, where they came from in UK and the crime for which they were convicted and the term of imprisonment. Will have a shuffle through to see if that is totally correct.
              Last edited by grumpy; 30-03-15, 01:25.
              Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Kyle,

The records I use for my convicts, are Colonial Secretary Papers, Certificates of Freedom, Tickets of Leave, 1828 & 1841 censuses, return of Convicts to Government, shipping lists, NSW Gazette. I have not come across any that just record their conduct and family details.

Tora

Comment

The Prison Hulk registers on Ancestry do record family details, conduct and character. But as Sylvia says I wouldn't assume that lack of mention of family means there was none.
                  Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Conduct records are only online for Tasmania if I remember rightly. All the ones I have give family details (names of parents and siblings).

Comment

i didn't realise they (conduct reports) were different for nsw and tas, or maybe i remember seeing nsw ones on who do you think you are, (assuming you could access them the same) but i was sure they mentioned surviving relatives. the convict i am interested in is well documented, have the court trial from newspapers in 1833 at kesteven, lincs, and he was sentenced to 7 yrs in tasmania. have the muster records, conduct record and physical description. he was released in 1840. just trying to prove he is my man who appears in victoria in 1842. but there is no mention of family in any of the convict sources. just that he used an alias and a false occupation when arrested. and that he was arrested before the trial that convicted him, though no details on that crime.

Comment

You could try his name in this database: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=1989 If he was held on a prison hulk before transportation you may be lucky. It's where I found conduct details of my relative, and a ref to the fact he was married with 2 sons - no names etc though.
                        Last edited by JudithM; 31-03-15, 09:36.
                        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

thanks judith, he isn't there.

Comment

Thinking about my own convict to Sydney in the 1820's, I did not find any family details on the Tickets of leave/freedom or any other official documents in Australia. All his family information, his crimes and sentences were all found through the Northamptonshire CRO, in which county of Northamptonshire he was tried and found guilty of poaching game not once but twice! It was here that I found his family were destitute, his wife died the year after his transportation and all the children on Parish Relief, one apprenticed as a tailor. I have not found any of this family information in Australia, but I would be interested to know if it is available and if so where would I find it?

Janet
                            Last edited by Janet; 02-04-15, 12:18.

Comment

family circumstance is rare i think, but certainly on who do you think are, the aussie version, a few 'celebs' have found their convict ancestor's conduct report, which lists the trial date and place, sentence, the ship they arrived on, and any punishments they had while in captivity, and then when released or died. usually, their family details are included, like parents or siblings names. maybe that was a specific time period though. or maybe just for new south wales. so i would need to locate the trial papers in linconlshire then?

Comment

You should find all that you need through Lincolnshire CRO, though there are diifferent sections for Lincolnshire and I am not sure which part of Lincs you are interested, but try the following website for starters.

Lincolnshire Family History Society may also have some relevant CD's.

You are going to need access to the Quarter Sessions Records for details of trials and convictions, so have you tried Libraries where youi live in Australia to see what records they can get for you? My OH belongs to Queensland Family History Society and they have wonderful records from all over the world.

All this is a long way from Oz, but maybe Lincolnshire CRO would do a search for you for a fee. Ancestry has some Quarter Sessions records but not sure if they have Lincolnshire. Newspapers may also help with trial proceeedings.

Janet
                                Last edited by Janet; 08-04-15, 12:10.

Comment

Thanks janet

Comment

Working...
                                  X