Death Reg says Mr *****

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

strange
    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

The registrar has to record what the informant tells them, so if the informant said " His name is Mr Richard Carr" that is what they would record.
      Vonny

Comment

The source for this death isn't the GRO index as that is only available online up to 2006 so
        I would guess whoever compiled the index- Greypower deceased data by Wilmington Millennium West Yorkshire according to Ancestry- has taken info from sources such as newspaper announcements?
        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

My mother's death is on that particular data source and before here name is "MS". As I registered the death myself, I can categorically state that "MS" was not part of the information I gave to the Registrar.

So, I think the "Mr" on the record that Val is querying is an artefact of the database, not necessarily part of the death record itself.

STG
          Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

As it happens I read this yesterday when I was Googling for something else....

Professional Family History prides itself on working with original source material to provide research at the highest standard. Often this involves spending hours trawling through old documents at …

Scroll down to the post for 27 January but it says

"UPDATE: Following contact by genealogist John Wintrip with Wilmington Millennium, the following response was received:

“I can confirm that the data within the GreyPower Deceased database is compiled from funeral directors’ records and obituary notices.
            This database does not provide a full coverage, and I can confirm that the Scotland and Northern Ireland Index is estimated to include some 45% of deaths and the England and Wales Index is estimated to represent 55% of deaths.”

Chris
            Avatar....My darling mum, Irene June Robinson nee Pearson 1931-2019.

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

Comment

Originally posted by Vonny North West View Post
              The registrar has to record what the informant tells them, so if the informant said " His name is Mr Richard Carr" that is what they would record.
              Vonny
              Registrars would never put Mr as part of the name in a registration - the registrar decides , after questioning and agreeing with the informant, the proper way for the information to be entered.
              Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
              Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

how odd was sort of hoping it was because he was a Reverend ? as I have been trying to find one . thanks everyone
                Last edited by Guest; 28-03-15, 14:06.

Comment

Mr/Mrs/Ms is not part of your name, it is your courtesy title and as Antony says, would not be recorded on your cert.

However....I have many Lancashire relatives who thought it was hilariously funny to name thir children Squire, Captain, Major, Doctor and even Master, so there must have been some interesting conversations in the Registrar's Office!

OC

Comment

someone on GR was asking the other day for information on an ancestor whose name on his birth marriage and death certificates is

Sir Joseph xxxxxxxx

he was born in Yorkshire .................. and it turns out that "Sir" was a somewhat common first name in parts of that county

Squire was very common in the part of Lancashire that I'm from, I was in elementary school with a lad called Squire.

.................. one of the most well-known sportscasters on TV here in Vancouver is called Squire xxxxxx

He's supposedly Canadian, and around 45 .............. but there must be English in his background!
                    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Sylvia

My Lancashire grandad told me it was an attempt to show scorn and derision for the establishment.

However, it is commonly believed in Lancashire that the tenth son of a tenth son (or is it the seventh son of the seventh son???) has healing powers, hence the name Doctor.

OC

Comment

some interesting answers thanks for that

Comment

OC

I had never heard that reason!

It always seemed to be an honoured first name in Oldham

Comment

Somebody in my BiL's tree actually had the Christian name "Mister", which is nearly always transcribed wrong by bemused transcribers (they mostly leave his Christian name blank, assuming that Mister's just a title).
                            Last edited by Mary from Italy; 29-03-15, 22:58.

Comment

Working...
                            X