Frederick John Thorpe of Witnesham Suffolk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frederick John Thorpe of Witnesham Suffolk

Hi everyone, looking for help please, have hit a brick wall with my paternal grandfather. My father was Frederick Samuel Thorpe, born 13 March 1919, died 2 January 1989. My grandfather is either known as Frederick John or John Frederick Thorpe. Married Elizabeth Caroline Steer. He was born 1879 in Witnesham Suffolk, married March 1918, Witnesham, died June 1956 in Ipswich Suffolk. He served in the Queen's Own (Royal West Kent) Regiment, Labour Corps, Regimental Number 14630, 554412
    I can't find any record of why he joined the Kent regiment as he was from Suffolk or any other record of his military service for the time he spent in there? My grandmother was born in Horsham Sussex. Trying to locate when he left Witnesham, and what he did until he began military service, and what happened to him from when he left the regiment until his marriage. Happy for any help that can be provided. Thanks Emmie x

Attachments:

indicates an unread post
    Next Thread
    Find a board about a specific topic

Surnames or topics

Tools

I have found a medal card for John Frederick Thorpe same regimental numbers as the ones you quoted. No main Service record found. He was awarded 2 medals, the British Victory medal and the British War medal. I have found in the past if soldiers were assigned to the labour corps there doesn't seem to be a main service record for them, my grandfather was the same, and as for regiments they could be assigned to any the army wanted them to be in despite geographical differences. If you PM me with your email I can then send the medal card over to you.
    Vonny

Comment

I also found him on the 1911 census with his parents, his father was a maltster and John Frederick was a farm labourer. I have saved it so when you P.M. me I can send both docs over to you.
      Vonny.

Comment

Working...
      X