Clergy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clergy

Where would be best place to try and find current clergy in the country.

Man is a priest, Father ?????

I do know his name lol just can't put it on here as he is very much alive.

woiuld he be on the electoral roll

Comment

If you Google "list of clergy " loads of different sites come up, there is a C of E database .
      Vonny

Comment

Thanks Vonny

Very common name, looked on ER but haven't got a clue where he would be.

Linda

Comment

got a feeling they dont put The Title Father on the Electoral rolls?

Comment

I am having trouble Val.

Linda

Comment

Have you had a look at this site Linda? http://www.catholicdirectory.org
              Vonny

Comment

Sorry was just going to post... he was a Reverend. my friend got a bit confused

Linda

Comment

If he is retired there is a retired list of clergy?
                  Vonny

Comment

You need to know which denomination. Reverend covers practically every Protestant denomination - Church of England, Baptist, Methodist, United Reformed Church, etc. etc.
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Linda .................

do you have a sub to GR??

Is your guy Anglican?

If so ............. Cynthia who posts on the Christian Thread on General Chat is the wife of a retired Vicar. She may well be able to help you. I would pm her .......

...... you could say Sylvia suggested you did it. I'll take the blame
                      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Even with a common name you could Google "Reverend John Smith" with the inverted commas, narrow the search to the UK rather than the world and get a much shorter list of possibles. A clergyman would be almost certain to have references in local newspapers which would appear on a Google search.
                        Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                          Even with a common name you could Google "Reverend John Smith" with the inverted commas, narrow the search to the UK rather than the world and get a much shorter list of possibles. A clergyman would be almost certain to have references in local newspapers which would appear on a Google search.
                          Anne
                          If he is still in role as a parish priest, then a google search as above may well bring up his current position.

Jay
                          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Crockfords is the annual directory of clergy in the Church of England, Church in Wales, Scottish Episcopal Church and Church of Ireland. The online version http://www.crockford.org.uk/search.asp?id=57 can be searched by surname. I just tested it with names of my local vicars and scrolling down the list to find the appropriate initial shows their current parish, or retired. It would cost a subscription to find further details, ie age, where trained, previous parishes, but if you think your man was around in 1995/1996 I have a copy of the directory for that year. I would imagine more recent copies would be available in a decent sized reference library.
                            Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thanks everyone,

All the information I have is the name...and where he lived.

Have looked on the website Judith with no luck. Will have a Google no as suggested.

Linda

Comment

Working...
                              X