Help reading a death certificate please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help reading a death certificate please

Just got a death certificate 'died of General Paralysis of the Insane. 21 years' ( late stage Syphlis ) in Friern Barnet Hospital which was an asylum in 1945.

Does that mean in was in there for 21 years or that he had the disease for 21 years?

Thanks

Linda

Think that would mean how long he suffered from his illness. That's the usual meaning on a DC.
    Anne

Comment

I would have thought it meant that he had the disease for 21 years. It was only in WW2 that penicillin started to be used widely even though Alexander Fleming had discovered it in 1928, it wasn't until ten years later that a stable form of penicillin was produced.
      Vonny

Comment

I agree. The time period stated after cause of death refers to how long the deceased had suffered from the said cause.

Comment

There would be no requirement to record how long he had been in the asylum on a death cert.

I used to live opposite Friern Barnet Hospital (as it was called in the 1960s). It was the size of a small town. All gone now and posh housing instead.

OC

Comment

Thankyou ladies

Linda

Comment

Working...
            X