Scottish records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottish records

Is there any way to get scottish records without paying ? I can`t find what I need on Ancestry.
    Thanks

Hi, this was sent to me last week it might be of use to you.
    We're delighted to announce that the Valuation Rolls for 1865 have just been added to the ScotlandsPeople website.

The new records, which are FREE* to search, comprise 1.3 million indexed names and 76,512 digital images. The Rolls, which are searchable by both name and address, cover every owner, tenant and occupier of property in 1865, offering a fascinating window into the lives of mid-Victorian Scots.
    *Index for Valuations Rolls 1865 free to search until 19th April 2015. Images can be viewed for 2 credits per page.
    Vonny

Comment

That's the thing with Scotlands People they let you look at something but then you have to buy credits to see the document, I do like the site and think if you know what you want then its worth the cost of credits to see the documents http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/?g...FakSwwodtygAKg

There is also Familysearch Scottish Records. https://familysearch.org/search/coll...ntryId=1986318

Good Luck and hope you can find someone to look for you

Edna

Comment

Are you looking for something specific Lyn? I've got a few SP credits, might be able to find something for you.
        Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
          Are you looking for something specific Lyn? I've got a few SP credits, might be able to find something for you.
          Thanks Elaine, yes I have some credits too but have to buy more to activate them !
          I am trying to find family, Hugh W Scott 1910-1979 married Ida Margaret Scott 1910-1988,in 1933 ( they were cousins ). I have their parents, Hugh`s :- Thomas Wilson Scott and Mary Barr Stevenson Martin and Ida`s :- Grace Brown 1904-1976 and John Scott but want to find both their parents to go further back, thanks.

Comment

Thanks also Clem and Vonny, I have tried familysearch and just trying other options in the hope that I won`t have to pay. I have used Scotlandspeople before and know that if you find the right records they can give you so much more info, thanks

Comment

Lyn - does this look like the right one?
              1902 THOMAS WILSON SCOTT / MARY B S MARTIN = LARKHALL /LANARK 638/01 0077
              Elaine

Comment

RE Grace Brown 1904-1976 and John Scott - is the birth date for Grace correct ?? You said daughter Ida born 1910.

Could this be the marriage
                1894 JOHN SCOTT / GRACE SHEPHERD BROWN HUTCHESONTOWN GLASGOW CITY/LANARK 644/11 0283
                Elaine

Comment

Yes, both look good, thanks

Comment

Sending you a message.
                    Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                      RE Grace Brown 1904-1976 and John Scott - is the birth date for Grace correct ?? You said daughter Ida born 1910.

Could this be the marriage
                      1894 JOHN SCOTT / GRACE SHEPHERD BROWN HUTCHESONTOWN GLASGOW CITY/LANARK 644/11 0283
                      Don`t know why I put 1904 for her !!

Comment

Anyone else need any spare credits on ScotlandsPeople using up ?.....hee hee:D

Comment

One thing that is free on SP is the index of wills. The index entries are often quite detailed and can enable you to confirm identity and often other useful facts such as dates.
                          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks John, most helpful, I shall take a look.

Comment

I realise the op cannot do this. If you are within reach of Glasgow or Edinburgh you can search all the records up to present day for £15 for the day

Comment

Originally posted by BEARGER View Post
                                I realise the op cannot do this. If you are within reach of Glasgow or Edinburgh you can search all the records up to present day for £15 for the day
                                Thanks Bearger, too far to come from Spain !

Comment

Originally posted by BEARGER View Post
                                  Or in quite a number of other locations throughout Scotland.

Comment

Originally posted by highland ranger View Post
                                    Or in quite a number of other locations throughout Scotland.
                                    I did not realise that other places held ALL the records, thank you.

Comment

Working...
                                    X