• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• airline manifest list - codes used

I have a BOAC manifest list from 1951.

I can't attach a copy but the headings across the top are:

Surnames and Initials for use by owner or operator only for official use
    a,b,c,d,e,f,g

Can anyone tell me what the columns, a,b,c,d,e,f,g might mean?

Typical numbers might be F 4 7 23 14 48 y
    M 5 5 55 5 66 D

And also in the final column what the prefix V or T might mean.

Thank you.

Welcome to the Forum ramour1,

As this is a Family History Forum and we share our love of all things Family History I think you are in the wrong place maybe you need to find a Forum that discusses aeronautics, we would only be interested in the names on the passenger lists not the layout of the page.

Edna

Last edited by clematised; 22-03-15, 14:59.

Comment

I'm assuming the reason you are interested in the headings is in the hope it may tell you more about the people on the list? The first column looks as if it just tells whether the passenger was male or female. Perhaps the initial under column g might be their destination D might stand for Durban where I know BOAC had a large base, though I can't off hand think of a destination beginning with Y. Afraid the numbers have me beat. Did airlines collect much in the way of information about their passengers in those days? I suppose they might refer to seat numbers, weight of luggage, date of booking - could be any number of things.
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

One of my possible relatives is in the list. I am trying to determine if it was her or not. The first set of numbers was in fact her. her d.o.b was 16 may 1926 which would make her 24 at the time. the flight was to new York from London.

Comment

My apologies as it was Family History related

Edna

Comment

One more clue. The total of each column has been totalled at the bottom so they are not d.o.b.
            Some of the passengers have blanks against all columns.

Comment

I worked with airline manifests many years ago. I am not familiar with BOAC manifests and can’t help with that particular document but as a general comment, the sort of information that the airline would record on a manifest would be the number of pieces of baggage each passenger had, the total weight, numbers of meals on board, special meal requests eg kosher, numbers of adults, numbers of children, any unaccompanied minors, and VIP or special passengers. BOAC may also have split the information up depending on what class you were travelling.
              Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

Thank you for that. It makes more sense now. That would explain the totals.

Comment

Working...
                X