Need help with Asquith/Glazebrook search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with Asquith/Glazebrook search

Good morning to all. I am Terri and I have been trying to research my mother's family who emigrated to Canada in 1950, returned to England in 1951 and ultimately returned in 1952 to Canada. I only have information from my mother, who only remembers some things and is in her 80's. She says she would love to know some about her grandparents. Grandad was a man of very few words, who passed away in 1970. Grandma never talked about her family either, only she visited who my mom called her cousin in the US Ellis Glazebrook.

This is what I know: Before moving from England, their home address was 21 Farley Ave, Debdace Etate, Manchester. Grandad worked as a bricklayer during WW2, travelling around to bombed buildings in England, and mom said he even went to Ireland. Sometimes he would be gone for weeks.

My Grandfather: Louis Asquith b. 1906(?) Grandma: Marion Glazebrook B. (?) they married. 1928 I think in England.

Louis had 2 sisters: Jessie B.1905(?) Grandma had 2 brother: Wilfred and Arthur .... Mom is 84 now, b. 1931/Anthony b.1939
    Alice Grandma's parents supposedly owned a pub

There was also a cousin Ida, who married Frank Walsh and moved to Australia. I called her Auntie Ida. Also mom vaguely remembers a cousin whose plane was shot down during WW2.

Any help in researching would be great. Thank you.
    Last edited by tsr2007; 21-03-15, 12:08.

Lewis ASQUITH married Marion GLAZEBROOK in North Manchester between Oct-Dec 1928 - the index entry is Vol 8D p942 - getting a copy of that marriage certificate from GRO ( http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/ce...es/default.asp ) should give you the information you need to trace the family.
    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Hi Steve,
      You will definitely need to get that certificate to be absolutely sure you are following the right path. Remember last time and all the uncertainty without the necessary certificate
      The cert will have father's name and occupation so he can be found on the 1911 census. Then you can go backwards.
      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Thank you. And my search begins. Terri

Comment

1911 census

21 Helston Street Miles Platting Manchester.

Head of house Lewis Asquith aged 34 born West Ardsley Yorkshire bricklayer for the Council
          wife Dinah aged 29 born Clayton Manhcester. married 10 years.
          children
          Alice aged 9
          Lewis aged 7
          Jessie aged 5

three children born of this marriage

This appears to be the only Lewis Asquith family

On the 1901 his name is spelt Louis he is with his wife Dina he is a bricklayer and they are living in Nador Street Manchester.

the Farley Avenue address is probably Debdale Estate, Manchester.
          Last edited by Janet H.; 21-03-15, 14:33.

Comment

The Asquith / Glazebrook marriage took place at St Phillips Church Manchester.

Comment

I can't remember whether you have an Ancestry sub but if you do, the marriage cert is on there so you wouldn't have to pay for a copy

Jackie

Comment

Don't know how far back you want to go, but here is some SPECULATIVE stuff, needs checking.

Lewis Asquith (b1876, Ardsley, Leeds, Yorks) m Dinah Hayhurst (b 1876 Haslingden)1900 Manchester RO or RA

children:

Alice 1901
                Lewis 1904
                Jessie 1905

.................................................. ................

Dinah Hayhurst, mmn Hindle (born 1876 Haslingden) m Lewis Asquith as above

Dinah's parents POROBABLY James Hayhurst and Alice Hindle m 1859 Hyndburn

lots of children all born Haslingden
                James Thomas HAYHURST 1860
                John 1862
                Ann Alice 1866
                Mary Jane 1868
                Wilfred 1871
                Emily 1873
                *Dinah 1876

?Albert 1878 - there is another marriage which might account for him.

All needs checking of course.

OC

Comment

Asquith/|Glazebrook search

Thank you all. I called mom, her grandmother was Dina, she doesn't remember her grandfather Lewis. And vaguely remembers her grandma Glazebrook, her name was Elizabeth. Again, the grandfather she never knew.

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                  Don't know how far back you want to go, but here is some SPECULATIVE stuff, needs checking.

Lewis Asquith (b1876, Ardsley, Leeds, Yorks) m Dinah Hayhurst (b 1876 Haslingden)1900 Manchester RO or RA

children:

Alice 1901
                  Lewis 1904
                  Jessie 1905

.................................................. ................

Dinah Hayhurst, mmn Hindle (born 1876 Haslingden) m Lewis Asquith as above

Dinah's parents POROBABLY James Hayhurst and Alice Hindle m 1859 Hyndburn

lots of children all born Haslingden
                  James Thomas HAYHURST 1860
                  John 1862
                  Ann Alice 1866
                  Mary Jane 1868
                  Wilfred 1871
                  Emily 1873
                  *Dinah 1876

?Albert 1878 - there is another marriage which might account for him.

All needs checking of course.

OC

Comment

Working...
                  X