Marriage question please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage question please

If you get married for a second time and have children do you put you actual maiden name of the certificate or your first married name?

Linda

Do you mean on the birth certs of the children?

My second MARRIAGE cert reads Bloggs to late Smith, formerly Brown. Brown was my maiden name, Smith was my first married surname.

On the BIRTH certs of my children to my second marriage, no mention is made of my first married name - why would this be mentioned, it is nothing to do with the children of my second marriage. So, their birth certs read:

Daffodil Bloggs, father Fred Bloggs, mother Mary formerly Brown.

OC

Comment

The only name which has to be entered on a marriage certificate for a person marrying, or for a parent on a birth certificate is the name they are known by at the time of the event being registered. Where a change of name has occurred the registrar will always recommend that "formerly known as ...." be shown for reasons of continuity, traceability and potential inheritance issues but the person concerned can say no.

The maiden name is always the name in which a woman first married (usually her birth name, but not always) - current birth registrations have an additional space for "surname at marriage" so that can often reflect a previous married name even where no "formerly known as " name is shown.

The one it really matters to have all previous names recorded correctly is a death certificate, because if there are assets like property, investments or pensions still owned under a previous name and that is not shown on the death certificate the person dealing with the estate can have real problems.
      Last edited by AntonyM; 21-03-15, 13:20.
      Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
      Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

I have a copy of a birth certificate which shows the mother as Charlotte X, late Y, formerly Z. So the former married name is mentioned. It is just as well she didn't have any children from her subsequent marriage as there wouldn't be sufficient space for all the names.

J
        Research Interests :-Dominy in Dorset prior to 1800, Page in Radnorshire area pre 1850

Comment

Thank you everyone

Linda

Comment

I have just looked at my own marriage certificate just out of interest to actually see what it does say. This was my third marriage (unlucky not greedy!). I married under my name at the time and on the condition column it says previous marriage dissolved.
            Vonny.

Comment

Working...
            X