Melhuish, Devon. Trouble finding records for a couple

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melhuish, Devon. Trouble finding records for a couple

I have, so far, well documented my Melhuish tree back to John Melhuish b 1859. His mother Harriet Melhuish was unmarried but I believe went on to marry William Hodge. I've sent for a m. cert and a d. cert for her. John's m. cert does show a witness as Ellen Hodge (assume half sister). William and Harriet Hodge had a daughter Ellen so I'm pretty confident I've the right Harriet.

I'm currently stuck on Harriets parents.

On what I've found I believe her parents were John Melhuish b abt 1799, stoodleigh, d 1851-61 and Ann Melhuish b abt 1795, Washfield (possibly Crocker) m. should be before 1824 (going on eldest child I've found so far).

I have found 1851 census, John 56, Stoodliegh, farm labourer, Ann 52, Washfield. Also wife's father George Crocker (or Grocker). Children John 27, Maria 24, Mary 21, Peter 19.

I have also found a 1851 with Harriet, 14 in service at Coombe Butler, which would explain her not being with parents.

I also have 1861 census, Ann 62, widow. Harriet is out of service 24 and John 1 grandson. Other siblings Maria 34, James 27.

The only child in both census is Maria and her ages match. I'm guessing most of the children would have been in service or married at some point so not surprised they don't all appear on both.

I have 1871 cenus with John 11 in service for William Gale.

And there I've got stuck, I can't find any other census with John and Ann or record of a marriage etc. I've been searching on ancestry and family search don't know where else to look.
    Any help/advise would be apriecated. Im almost as far as I can get with census and GRO records and finding the prospect of starting on parish records daunting.

Thank you.

Hello Currie,

long time since we had contact!.. I have 'Emily Melhuish' born 1851 Uffculme d/o William Melhuish. She married Matthew Manley in 1871 @ Uffculme, Devon

do you have any other details on her at all?.. I am going to have a look in the census to see If I can find her before hand.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hi, not been around in some time. Was working on my own family tree for a while last year but my mother was very ill and we lost her in August so my minds been elsewhere. I've got ancestry back for a few months so thought I'd take another look at my husbands side.

I haven't come across any connection to Uffculme, yet anyway.

Comment

oh dear, sorry to hear that about your mum.

Emily Melhuish was just a hunch really, I have her in most census, just wondered if we had another connection :smilee:
        Julie

Comment

Unfortunately Family Search sold out Devon PR's to Find My Past. I'm not sure if there are some special offers on at the moment to join FMP. Might be worth googling to see.

I have pm'd you.
          Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Thank you, I miss talking to her about all this, she loved telling me about her family and hearing what I found out.

Thank you for the info about FMP. I was reading up about Devon records last night and wondered why FMP was mentioned so much. I have Melhuish, Binding and Clatworthy all from Devon so I will have to look into it.

Comment

Get everything you need to start discovering your family history for free for 7 days - start your FREE TRIAL today with Findmypast.

Full UK census records and birth, marriage and death records dating from 1761

The largest online collection of parish records, going all the way back to the 1500s

Extensive passenger lists of ships leaving the UK and Ireland for Australia, the US and Canada

Key military collections from the early 1600s onwards

The largest online local British newspaper collection with millions of searchable pages

I find FMP is much easier to search now too. Ancestry is more useful if you have London Ancestors though.

This is what they have for Devon:

Devon Banns Registers 1538-1915 Life events (BMDs) Marriages & divorces
              Devon Baptisms Life events (BMDs) Births & baptisms
              Devon Burials Life events (BMDs) Deaths & burials
              Devon Marriages Life events (BMDs) Marriages & divorces
              Devon Social & Institutional Records
              Newspapers, directories & social history Social history
              Devon Wills Index, 1163-1999 Life events (BMDs) Wills & probate
              Plymouth & West Devon Rate Books 1598- 1933
              Census, Land & Surveys Rate Books
              Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                Unfortunately Family Search sold out Devon PR's to Find My Past. I'm not sure if there are some special offers on at the moment to join FMP. Might be worth googling to see.

I have pm'd you.
                typical...lol... I know that FMP have just had a freebie session too...

did you mean you had pm'd me Kat? [haven't had one]
                Julie

Comment

Nope

edit: but I have now LOL!
                  There is a free trial IF you haven't had a sub for FMP before.
                  Last edited by Katarzyna; 18-03-15, 14:31.
                  Kat

Comment

Thanks so much for all the info, very helpful

Comment

Working...
                    X