More dodmanitis..... Lol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More dodmanitis..... Lol

I do not know if, Janet may have tried this, or not.

Ann Dodman Bt. 2 Feb 1823, Snettisham, Norfolk Eng.
    Immigrated to Canada mid - to - late-1830's. Married to
    Freland Graham born Canadian. no birth date, no death
    date. But 1861 Canada Census show's Ann Graham,
    WIDOWED. Any information on Freland's, birth, death
    and marriage to Ann, is what I am asking for.
    HINT - daughter - Mary Ann Graham's death record
    shows father as Samuel.
    Hint - daughter Mary Ann Graham b. 26 Feb 1844
    Bt. 26 May 1844 Brantford, Brant County, Ontario
    d. 31 Jul 1915 Plymouth, Wayne, Michigan. Mary Ann
    Singer, was married to Samuel Singer.

I am also posting about Edward Graham ( Son ), Ann
    and Freland b. 1845 Plattsville, Oxford County, Ontario.
    Edward married Sophronia Mills 17 May 1870, Mosa Twp.,
    Wardsville, Middlesex County, Ontario. 1871 Canada Census
    shows Edward and Sophronia, Camden Twp., Kent County
    ( Elgin/West ), in the household of sister Mary Ann and Samuel
    Singer. At this point Edward is lost completely, no death record
    or anything else that leads to be him, has been found. Can Edward
    be found, is my question, here?

I do not think that this post will be as easy as Pearl and Nettie Maynard!!!!

Any And All Help With This Post Will Be Deeply Appreciated!!!

Happy Hunting - Jeff ;D :D

At her baptism, Mary Ann Graham's mother was recorded as Ann Dodman

Wesleyan Methodist reg
    Vol 1 page 177 District/county Brock/London
    Area Blenheim Twp.
    Mary Ann Graham; parents Freeland Ann; residence Blenheim
    born1844-02-26 Brantford
    bp 1844-05-26 Blenheim by Ker, Rev. Peter

And when son Edward Graham married, his mother was recorded as MARY Ann Dodman

from Ontario Vital Statisitics Project

Vol 7, pg 50 – Edward GRAHAM, 24, shoe maker, Plattsville, Wardsville, s/o Freland GRAHAM & Mary Ann DODMAN, married Sophronia MILLS, 25, Shinemicas? – Cumberland Co NS, Mosa, d/o John MILLS & Sarah McQuarrie BELTS, witnesses: Robert & Sarah McQ. GARLICK of Mosa, 17 May 1870 at Mosa

Jeff, no I haven't previously posted any threads about your Canada line of Dodmans, as far as I can recall.
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Eh Janet: From our past talks, I am at this point as well. Through documents I have, Canada Census's, marriage license.
      When at library Saturday, I got timed out Janet , only allowed 1 hr., spent time doing Thomas and Christina. Will return
      Tuesday when library re-opens. To see if I can find a marriage for Mary Ann and Freeland. Tried today on familysearch.org
      with no luck. Found Dodman marriages a lot there, at library.

Robert and Sarah McQ. Garlick originate from Iona, Elgin County, Ontario, Janet. On Edward's marriage license.

Oxford County, Blenheim District, is where Mary Ann Hipkins, husband John, and all the children settled in Ontario, by 1838.
      Son Richard Hipkins, is born here as well 1838. Mary Ann Dodman and John Hipkins married 4 Aug 1834, I believe, Snettisham.
      Giving us a 4 yr. span for immigration into Oxford County, Blenheim District, ( Brock/London ).

Happy Hunting With Thank's Janet - Jeff

Comment

Have found this one, familiar place too!

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Name: Wm Hunginton
        Event Type: Marriage
        Event Date: 03 Mar 1899
        Event Place: Ridgetown, Kent, Ontario, Canada
        Birth Year (Estimated): 1873
        Father's Name: Samuel
        Mother's Name: Ellen
        Spouse's Name: Annie Graham
        Spouse's Age: 27
        Spouse's Birth Year (Estimated): 1872
        Spouse's Father's Name: Edward
        Spouse's Mother's Name: Sophronia
        Digital Folder Number: 004529271
        GS Film Number: 1870923 , Image Number: 01018
        Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
        http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

And 1873 Sophronia marries again

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Name: Robert Mumford
          Event Type: Marriage
          Event Date: 17 Nov 1873
          Event Place: Aldborough, Elgin, Ontario, Canada
          Birth Year (Estimated): 1845
          Father's Name: Robert Mumford
          Mother's Name: Elizabeth Mumford
          Spouse's Name: Sophronia Graham
          Spouse's Age: 28
          Spouse's Birth Year (Estimated): 1845
          Spouse's Father's Name: John Mills
          Spouse's Mother's Name: Sarah Mills
          Digital Folder Number: 004529103
          GS Film Number: 1862698 , Image Number: 00439
          Elaine

Comment

Death here

Name: Sophronia Munford
            Event Type: Death
            Event Date: 28 Mar 1923
            Event Place: Windsor, Essex, Ontario
            Birth Date: 03 May 1845
            Birthplace: Nova Scotia
            Burial Date: 30 Mar 1923
            Burial Place: West Lorne, Ont.
            Father's Name: John Mills
            Mother's Name: Sarah Betts
            Elaine

Comment

Do you have 1852? Is this him?

8 Dodman, John Labourer England Methodist 26 M
              9 Dodman, Maryjane Canada Methodist 19 F
              10 Dodman, Charity Canada Methodist 1 F
              11 Graham, Edward Canada Methodist 6 M
              Elaine

Comment

Elaine, you're a star!

I had no idea about daughter Annie Graham for Edward & Sophronia.

Jeff, the two references I posted in post 2 were found via this site; http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~onvsr/
                Don't know if you're familiar with it? It's by no way complete and not indexed and you have to rummage around and search through various record sets, buts it's free and online from home.

Re Jeff's reference to Hipkins in post 3 - to fill in the background for everyone, Nicholas Dodman of Norfolk UK married Mary Pilgrim and they had 6 known children bp Snettisham Norfolk - Thomas (1818-1819) William 1821,Ann 1823, John 1825, Avis 1828?? & Elizabeth 1830. Nicholas died in 1832 and his widow Mary remarried - to John Hipkins, in 1834. We don't know when they to Canada (John Hipkins, wife Mary & 5 Dodman children) but a son Richard Hipkins was born in Canada in 1838.

Jay
                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Glad I could help:D

Is that Avis's father 1852?
                  Elaine

Comment

John the father of Avis Permilia, yes.
                    There was also an Avis in the earlier generation - sister of John.

I have Edward Graham with his uncle John in 1851, and his mother Mary Graham with her sister Avis, Mrs Robinson, (both sisters of John Dodman) I don't know where child Mary Ann Graham was . I never did find Freeland Graham in any census, nor a marriage or death.

Jay
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Jeff - post 3.
                      I only have the matriarch as Mary, not Mary Ann. She was Mary Pilgrim when she married Nicholas Dodman and Mary Dodman when she married John Hipkins. It seems to be later generations which were named Mary Ann.

Jay
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I fear this family change their names too!

I've found Sophronia & Robert Mumford in Albrough Elgin in 1881 - with 4 children, the eldest being 9 year old Sarah. The family are still in Aldbrough in 1891, but Sophronia has a shortened name (looks like Carrie??) and the 19 year old daughter is ANNIE.

So, was the daughter of Sophronia & Edward Sarah (Ann) Graham????
                        These Dodmans drive me crazy - the men in white coats will be arriving soon, I fear.

Jay
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Nicely done Elaine, as Janet stated we had no children for Edward and Sophronia!!!!
                          Automatedgenealogy 1852 Edward Graham is correct, this places Edward in John's household.
                          South, Dumfries Twp., Brant County, Ontario. Although, " THAT I HAVE NO PROOF AT ALL,
                          OTHER THAN THE WORD, FROM ANOTHER RESEARCHER OF McKAY'S, SUCH AS MARY JANE DODMAN
                          (NEE McKAY). JOHN DODMAN AND MARY JANE McKAY WERE MARRIED - WOODVIEW COTTAGE, ST.
                          GEORGE, SOUTH DUMFRIES TWP., BRANT COUNTY, DISTRICT OF ZONE, UPPER CANADA 7 JAN 1851. "
                          CHARITY CHARATTA DODMAN FIRST BORN OF JOHN AND MARY WAS BORN 20 SEP 1851, HERE.

Thank You Very Much Elaine For This Fantastic Find!!!!!!!!

Happy Hunting - Jeff

Comment

Eh Janet: Tomorrow I will go to the library and see what I can find out about Annie Graham.
                            What a great find Janet. Since we had no idea she existed.

Thank You Very Much, Janet.

Happy Hunting - Jeff

Comment

1899 - Ontario vital statistics project

008462-99 (Kent Co.)
                              William HERINGINTON? (SHERINGTON?),
                              26, capt. s.q., Liverpool Eng, Tilsonburg,
                              s/o Samuel & Ellen,
                              married Annie GRAHAM,
                              27, Thamesville, Ridgetown,
                              d/o Edward & Sophrona,
                              witn James BONNY of Bothwell & Melinda NUMIFACE? of Eagle,
                              on 3 March 1899, at Ridgetown

I think there were 2 children (source familysearch)

Pearl F

Earnest Edward

William & Annie may have been living in Brantford in 1911, with son Ernest, but no Pearl with them
                              http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca...e001979404.jpg - I can't make out the writing, perhaps if anyone can access this census return on Ancestry, they could add the details of Wm's job.

Jay
                              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                                1899 - Ontario vital statistics project

008462-99 (Kent Co.)
                                William HERINGINTON? (SHERINGTON?),
                                26, capt. s.q., Liverpool Eng, Tilsonburg,
                                s/o Samuel & Ellen,
                                married Annie GRAHAM,
                                27, Thamesville, Ridgetown,
                                d/o Edward & Sophrona,
                                witn James BONNY of Bothwell & Melinda NUMIFACE? of Eagle,
                                on 3 March 1899, at Ridgetown

I think there were 2 children (source familysearch)

Pearl F

Earnest Edward

William & Annie may have been living in Brantford in 1911, with son Ernest, but no Pearl with them
                                http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca...e001979404.jpg - I can't make out the writing, perhaps if anyone can access this census return on Ancestry, they could add the details of Wm's job.

Jay
                                if you give me his name/age/pob i'll have a look Jay.. bit difficult when I can't figure out what the surname should be :smilee:
                                Julie
                                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks for responding, Julie.
                                  The surname is Huntington, but possibly mistranscribed on 1911 Ancestry (as it was on the Canada Library site) but not surprised as the writing on the image is poor quality. I think I found him by putting in William and Brantford and then picking him out of the hits. William was 37, born England.

I've just done a reccy on Ancestry and he and Annie popped up on there for 1921.(Ancestry is the only place 1921 is online.)

We do have quite a lot of events "missing" for this family, but the 1840's - 1860's was still "early days" in the immigrant settlement of this part of Canada and so I think not all records will have survived, and of those that have, not all will be on line. The Dodman Ancestry trees do have dates and places for some of these marriages, but no source to say where the information came from. I would accept what was written in a family bible or other personal document as a source, as long as it was said so!

Jay
                                  Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 17-03-15, 15:26.
                                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Well Done Gals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are all on the same page at this point. I have also found up too
                                    the last birth of Ernest Edward, and lost trail at this point, on familysearch. org. I am off to library
                                    To check out 1911 Canada Census, Brantford.

'll write back, with my findings.

Happy Hunting - Jeff

Comment

flipping silly thing!! HANTINGTON indeed!.........

his occupation Jay, is TAILOR.. if you would like the image PM me your email addy and I'll send it over [it is a better scan than the one you posted above]

oh and sorry for not getting back to you sooner [I forgot!!] :emb:
                                      Last edited by Darksecretz; 17-03-15, 19:46.
                                      Julie
                                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks very much for that, Julie - I thought it MIGHT be tailor, but the writing is poor.
                                        I'm just looking through what I have (and don't have!) for the first generation immigrants of this Canada branch of the family. My ancestress Ann Mary Dodman is one of my distaff lines and this Canadian family are a spin off side-shoot. Interestingly enough, they're not far off Lake Ontario and the Niagara Falls - I have an offshoot of Ann Mary Dodman's husband's family who were just a bit further along the lakeside to the east, in Rochester New York and some of my Irish Granny's lot went to Cleveland Ohio. Perhaps I ought to plan a trip!

Jay
                                        Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 17-03-15, 20:11.
                                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
                                        X