Missing - for more than 45 years !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing - for more than 45 years !!

Peter Jobbins was born 1808 in Kingswood, near Wotton under Edge in Gloucestershire and baptised at the Tabernacle (non-conformist) in Wotton in 1809. he joined the Royal Marines in October 1830, but was discharged from sick quarters to Plymouth Hospital just six months later, reason unknown. There are no further naval records for him.

And then he goes missing for more than 45 years.

He entered Chelsea workhouse in 1876 and was discharged to the infirmary in 1878, where he died a month later of bronchitis, aged 69, a shoemaker.

Any help in working out where he was in the "gap" would be much appreciated, even if it's just a theory of how someone can remain under the radar for such a long time. I've thoroughly searched Ancestry, FMP, Familysearch & Google to no avail, including the common mistranscriptions & poor spelling (jobins/jobbings/tobbins/sobbins and many others).

If it helps, brother William became a tailor in Worcester, brother John a shoemaker in Chelsea, while father Peter and sister Grace emigrated to the US, where they left a healthy footprint of immigration, census & BMD records. His father even returned to England at the ripe old age of 82.
    Rick

Devizes and Wiltshire Gazette.jpg there is this little bit in the paper wont help with later in life but its nice to have

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]17602[/ATTACH] there is this little bit in the paper wont help with later in life but its nice to have
      Thanks Val :-) That's the father - silver spoons no less !! Just before the collapse of the local clothing industry drove them all to leave.
      Rick

Comment

I'm not having any luck finding him,do you think maybe he was in an Institution somewhere

Comment

I'm not having any luck finding him,do you think maybe he was in an Institution somewhere
          That's one possibility, although I've looked for PJ's of the right age. But his profession as a shoemaker (at death) must have been established somewhere. And brother John is a shoemaker in Chelsea. My various theories also include him going with his father to the US and not leaving a paper trail, living under another name in the UK, continuing with a seafaring career of some sort (no paper trail), and to be honest, endless others. I don't consider it unusual for someone to just disappear, or to be missing for a census, but 45 years with zero records is very puzzling.
          Rick

Comment

does seem strange maybe he went to the USA then came back

Comment

I suppose what it boils down to is that he didn't appear in any Eng/Wales census returns 1841 - 1871, nor in the marriage index.

I had a similar scenario with a rellie, last seen in 1861 census (after the death of his father, but shortly before the sale of father's estate.) When 1901 census was finally released, he re-surfaced, along with Prussian born wife and a tribe of children, the elder ones born in Russia, the younger ones alternating between births in Germany and London. It transpires that the marriage was in Russia and that the Russian and some of the German births of the children coincided with UK census months, explaining the non-appearance of the family in UK records. (There are 2 English birth registrations, but as it is a fairly common surname and the children were born in the London suburbs, it was a needle in a haystack job until their existence was already known.)
              It could just be that your man was out of the country every time census was taken or perhaps life at sea had given him wanderlust and he became an itinerant cobbler, with a regular round. (Another rellie had a tribe of illegitimate children (1846 - 1863) all reputedly fathered by the same itinerant Irish cobbler, who always "lodged" with the mother when doing his rounds in their area.)

So, maddeningly, there are cases of no paper trail especially if there is no evident wife and children to extend the search parameters.

Jay
              Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 15-03-15, 10:36.
              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I had a Shoemaker who was a Chelsea Pensioner, maybe he left the Navy and joined the Army and was serving overseas, the Army needed Shoemakers as well as Tailors, he may have married overseas.

Edna

Comment

does seem strange maybe he went to the USA then came back
                  Possible, but his father left records for immigration, naturalisation, remarriage, tax, censuses and a passenger list for the return journey.
                  Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                    I suppose what it boils down to is that he didn't appear in any Eng/Wales census returns 1841 - 1871, nor in the marriage index.

So, maddeningly, there are cases of no paper trail especially if there is no evident wife and children to extend the search parameters.

Jay
                    If you compare what brother John (also a shoemaker who died the same year and also in Chelsea) left in terms of a paper trail - there are 14 records between baptism and death.
                    Rick

Comment

Originally posted by clematised View Post
                      I had a Shoemaker who was a Chelsea Pensioner, maybe he left the Navy and joined the Army and was serving overseas, the Army needed Shoemakers as well as Tailors, he may have married overseas.

Edna
                      I've checked the army service records too - nothing. I do think there's a possibility he's not in the UK - perhaps Europe, so no passenger lists.
                      Rick

Comment

have you sent for his fathers will ? just wondering if maybe he mentions him in it

Comment

have pmd you Rick

Comment

might be mistaken leave it for now

Comment

got this fellow in 1841 in a lunatic asylum a shoemaker born in Kingswood Gloucester? but it looks like his age is out and I cannot read his initials but you never know

Comment

got this fellow in 1841 in a lunatic asylum a shoemaker born in Kingswood Gloucester? but it looks like his age is out and I cannot read his initials but you never know
                                Now that wouldn't surprise me :-) Have PM'd a reply.
                                Rick

Comment

on its way maybe thats why he was discharged from the Navy ?
                                  Last edited by Guest; 16-03-15, 00:28.

Comment

have you sent for his fathers will ? just wondering if maybe he mentions him in it
                                    His father didn't leave a will - he died in 1868. If you mean the 1838 one, that's his uncle and he makes no mention of family at all.
                                    Rick

Comment

ah well shall have another look

Comment

Working...
                                      X