Gender Re-assignment!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gender Re-assignment!

I am struggling to add my newly gleaned information on the Bebbingtons of Cheshire.
    I have added the husband (blue square came up for him) and added the wife (pink square came up for her) - she is Frances (Fanny) Hilditch - clearly female I would have thought BUT when I click on the "thingy" asking what relation she is to me, it tells me she is my "Great Grand Uncle" - what on earth did I do wrong this time? Anyone else come across this or am I unique?

Sue

Maybe it doesn't like the bracketed (fanny)

Vera

Comment

I was using a programme where it was a bit inclined to acknowledge only the initial gender allocation. Correcting it later didn't seem to make much impression. The default was male, of course.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

She still remains a "he"! The actual name WAS "Fanny" but since I prefer Frances (and Fanny is the diminutive of Frances) that is what I entered with (Fanny) in brackets. I have noticed, however, not just on ancestry, that often men are "Frances" and "Francis" for men doesn't always get used or is certainly interchangeable.
        I hadn't realised that Ancestry was into gender reassignment.

Christine: I note this default is male also!

Sue
        Last edited by Sue1; 14-03-15, 22:47.

Comment

What program are you using ? Problems like this can usually be solved by deleting the person completely and then re-entering their details.

You shouldn't assume she was Frances - the name Fanny was not always a diminutive and was often given in its own right. My G-Grandmother was registered, baptised, married and died under the name Fanny.
          Last edited by AntonyM; 15-03-15, 09:55.
          Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
          Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Hi Antony,
            Using Anc.co.uk.
            Last night I changed it to just "Fanny" because that was in fact the only name I can see for her. She is still my "3rd Great Grand Uncle"! Her husband is also!
            I did ask the relationship thingy to recalculate but they are convinced she is a man.
            I suppose I could remove her for 24hrs and see what happens then.
            Sue

Comment

If you remove her, check then that there is a gender assigned to the uncle and that it is male. With that in place, adding a spouse usually ensures that "she" is female, or at worst, without either gender.

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Only explanation I can come up with is that if it is her husband who is actually your blood relative the prog is trying to show the relationship as .....uncle's wife (which is how Family Historian describes such relationships)but for some reason is losing the term wife.
                Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Janet: didn't remove her in the end - asked Ancestry what is going on - they will work on it if I give them the name of the Tree! (which of course I forgot to do in my irritation ......doh)

Judith: Husband is my blood relative and she his wife. It says the same thing for her as it does for her husband thus making her ALSO my "Great Grand Uncle). She does have a correct "pink background", however, and her husband a correct "blue background".

I haven't come across this problem before but other than being irritating it isn't the end of the world - be nice if ancestry could sort it out. Usually when these things happen it means the owner has done something else wrong on the Tree I imagine BUT I am not sure what/if I have done wrongly. Will update if/when ancestry "cure it". Sue

Comment

Fanny Hilditch is now a female! Ancestry.co.uk said they didn't have to do anything but it now says
                    "wife of Great Grand Uncle" - the "wife of" was previously not there! Sue

Comment

I was going to suggest, that despite the correct colour coded boxes, you click on the edit button for the individual(s) concerned and double check that the correct gender is assigned on that page. It could have been that either the wrong gender or "unknown" gender was assigned. Of course, now that ancestry have sorted it for you, it won't be possible to tell if that was where the problem originated...
                      Christine
                      Researching:
                      HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

For possible future reference -
                        I've just had a similar problem to Sue - wanted to add a second wife for a widower and she had to be male, as he was showing up as female. This turned out to be because the first wife was my rellie, and as I hadn't assigned a gender when I'd first entered her on the tree, the programme assumed she was male. (I don't have "coloured boxes" so hadn't noticed at the time these people were entered.) Because the husband was already in the tree with a wife and children, I couldn't amend either his or the first wife's gender.
                        So, I edited by creating a new first wife as another child of the parents (missing out her middle name and giving her the appropriate gender) then unlinking people in stages from the original relationship and linking them into the new relationships. I then deleted the original first wife and added her middle name to her new entry.
                        I saved the original tree before I began in case of error, and only saved again when I was happy I'd got it right.
                        I found it needed intense concentration and I had a headache by the end of the process, but at least I'm back on track now.

Jay
                        Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 18-03-15, 15:54.
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Commiserations and congratulations Janet ............... bit of a nightmare isn't it.
                          My Tree is leading me to some strange places since all that happened - can I really be related to the Sherriff of Northumberland!!!!!!!!! (actually thought it said Nottingham first of all).
                          Going on holiday tomorrow 5am - not going to do any more on Tree before I go - it is driving me bonkers.

Sue

Comment

Working...
                          X