Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

finding middle names without purchasing birth certs ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finding middle names without purchasing birth certs ?

Good morning
    Is there a way of finding middle names of births in 1914 - 1930 - 2 children registered in Kings Norton ,Worcestershire / 2 children registered in West Bromwich,Staffordshire ??
    the firstborn is 1914 George E M Colcombe in Kings Norton ,Worcs ...I am trying to find out if the M stands for Merrick ?
    Edgar Peter Colcombe married Beatrice Oakes from Garston ,Liverpool- only child was George E M Colcombe b 1914
    Beatrice died - Edgar then married Beatrices sister Sarah Oakes from Garston = 3 children - firstborn 1919 mar qtr...I won't post their names in case there is a remote chance they are still alive ..
    Beatrice Oakes and Sarah Oakes mothers maiden name was Merrick - Marianne Merrick came from Ocle Pychard in Herefordshire and married in Garston in 1873 but when her husband Daniel Oakes died in 1904 Marianne went back to Norton Canon ,Herefordshire to her grandparents home to live with just 2 of her children Beatrice and Sarah ...Marianne had 10 children in Garston ....the other 8 stayed in Garston and had families there ..

any help appreciated ....thanx ;D
    Last edited by garstonite; 14-03-15, 08:17.
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Unfortunately Allan, as George died in 1941 it doesn't give his middle names their either.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

There are a couple of private Trees on Ancestry that have a George Edgar Merrick Colcombe, b. 1914/5, Worcestershire in them.

STG
      Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Unfortunately Allan, as George died in 1941 it doesn't give his middle names their either.
        But his full name (George Edgar Merrick Colcombe) is in the National Probate Calendar on Ancestry.

scuda
        Last edited by scuda; 14-03-15, 11:00.
        Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

I tried to search on the probate register on Ancestry but since they changed it I can't get results the same :o Pleased you managed to find it Scuda

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTownGirl View Post
            There are a couple of private Trees on Ancestry that have a George Edgar Merrick Colcombe, b. 1914/5, Worcestershire in them.

STG
            Thanks very much girls ...that would be exactly what I imagined it would be ...his middle names being his fathers name and his nans maiden name ...both quite well off moneywise .....Chrissie - I seen that he died aged 27 on freebmd ....how sad - I wonder if it was due to wounds suffered in WW2?....thank you both very much ..........allan
            Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTownGirl View Post

STG
              Thanks very much girls / Scuda ...that would be exactly what I imagined it would be ...his middle names being his fathers name and his nans maiden name ...both quite well off moneywise .....Chrissie - I seen that he died aged 27 on freebmd ....how sad - I wonder if it was due to wounds suffered in WW2?....thank you both very much ..........allan

Comment

Don't worry, Allan, I'm one of the girls, too!

scuda
                Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Originally posted by garstonite View Post
                  Thanks very much girls / Scuda ...that would be exactly what I imagined it would be ...his middle names being his fathers name and his nans maiden name ...both quite well off moneywise .....Chrissie - I seen that he died aged 27 on freebmd ....how sad - I wonder if it was due to wounds suffered in WW2?....thank you both very much ..........allan
                  Quite a possibility but I think only the death cert would tell you that. Unless anyone knows how to find out online?

Comment

Marianne is listed as Mary Ann on the 1911 census? Lin

Comment

A good way to find people registered with a family middle name, for example, Merrick, is to search on Freebmd with * Merrick in the first name/s box with or without any surname, dates etc

Oops that doesn't work but try it out
                      Last edited by Katarzyna; 12-07-16, 11:28.
                      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Unfortunately it doesn't work from 1914 - 1930 because at that time only initials were being used. There are lots come up to 1910 and then again from 1966.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                          Quite a possibility but I think only the death cert would tell you that. Unless anyone knows how to find out online?
                          I can't see his name on the Commonwealth War Graves site so doubt he died of wounds
                          Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

He died in Birmingham Judith, so I think Allan meant sent home with wounds and subsequently died from the effects. In which case I don't think he would be on the Commonwealth War Graves site would he?

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                              He died in Birmingham Judith, so I think Allan meant sent home with wounds and subsequently died from the effects. In which case I don't think he would be on the Commonwealth War Graves site would he?
                              Should be, I have seen CWGC records of soldiers who died in British hospitals and buried here. For example have just come across one who died November 1945, just after war ended so I'm guessing he had come home wounded, buried in a cemetery in Solihull
                              Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Might be able to find full names on the 1939 Register if they are open records.

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
                                  Should be, I have seen CWGC records of soldiers who died in British hospitals and buried here. For example have just come across one who died November 1945, just after war ended so I'm guessing he had come home wounded, buried in a cemetery in Solihull
                                  Thanks Judith, that interesting Worth bearing in mind for the future.

Comment

If you look at the dates on the CWGC website they cover some years after the wars as well. Up to 1921 and 1947. Presumably this covers those who died of wounds later. There are also a considerable number of civilian casualties' memorials too.
                                    Anne
                                    Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 13-07-16, 09:20.

Comment

Working...
                                    X