Help finding mystery marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help finding mystery marriage

Hi, haven't been here in quite some time but I'm having another look at my husbands family tree at the moment and was hoping someone could help me find a marriage.

This week I received a marriage certificate for John Melhuish of Washfield, Devon and Sarah Davey, m 1887, Cove, Devon. I was surprised to see that John Melhuish was recorded as being a widower.

I've spent the last two days looking for possible previous marriage but even though I've found possible in 1886, 1884 and 1881 I don't know where to go now.

Census for John
    1871 - Servant, farm labourer for William Gale
    1881 - Not found
    1891 - Glastonabury with Sarah and children

Not the end of the world if I don't solve this one as she's not really a part of oh's tree but would be nice to know who she was.

Thank you in advance for any help

there is a marriage in Tiverton st Peter in 1881 to an Elizabeth Vicary could that be it? there are a few marriages in Devon abt the right time.
    Was his Fathers name John ??? if so thats this marriage
    Last edited by Guest; 13-03-15, 20:02.

Comment

Now that is an odd one to answer. John's mother was unmarried, Harriet Melhuish and no father on birth certificate. However, his marriage to Sarah Davey he has put his father as John Melhuish, farmer.

I believe John was raised by his grandmother Ann (1861 census) and that his grandfather was John Melhuish, a farm labourer (1851). I think the grandfather also died 1851. He was in service 1871 age 11. His mother married William Hodge and Ellen Hodge is a witness to his marriage to Sarah. Ellen seems to be his half sister, although I haven't found him living with his mum Harriet at all. There is also a Frank Berry witnessing, no idea who he was.

I wonder if John was embarrassed to put father unknown. Thank you for that, I think it may well be correct.

Comment

There are banns at Washfield for a John Melhuish to a Mary Davey 9 Mar,

Devon Banns Registers 1538-1915
        First name(s) John
        Last name Melhuish
        Banns year 1879
        Banns date 09 Mar 1879
        Parish Washfield
        Spouse's first name Mary
        Spouse's last name Davey
        Residence Washfield
        Spouse's residence Withycombe
        County Devon
        Country England
        Archive reference 1146A/PR/1/8
        Record set Devon Banns Registers 1538-1915

which would tie this John here

1881 RG112236/87/10
        Lythcourt Cottage, Tiverton, Devon
        John Melhuish Head Married 21 Ag Lab Washfield, Devon
        Mary Melhuish Wife Married 26 Withycombe, Somerset
        with 2 lodgers

I haven't found a marriage though, there is a death for a Mary Melhuish Q3 1882 Tiverton
        Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
        http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

John who marries Elizabeth Vicary is a shoemaker on his marriage certificate, father John labourer. Slightly different signature from John but inclined to think it's not him looking how he spells John
          Last edited by Elaine; 13-03-15, 21:00.
          Elaine

Comment

Oh my gosh, I think the penny just dropped. Sarah Ann Davey had a sister Mary Davey, b 1853, d 1882. I just found the 1881 census you mentioned and yes John's age and occupation fits. Can't believe it, he must have lost his wife and then went on to marry her sister. It's amazing how something I was looking at out of curiosity turns out to be far more interesting than first thought. This is going to looking interesting when I add to my ancestry tree, another related marriage to confuse it. I've had right messes with marrying cousins before.

Thank you so much for your help.

Comment

Found the registration

Marriages Mar 1879
              DAVEY Mary Williton 5c/369
              MELHUISH John Williton 5c 369
              Elaine

Comment

Just found the marriage record

Oops, posted before I saw that.

Thanks for all the help, one more puzzle piece in place.
                Last edited by currie1972; 13-03-15, 21:28.

Comment

Wish I could find the original!
                  Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
                    Wish I could find the original!
                    As the marriage was registered in Williton, it took place in the bride's parish of Withycombe in Somerset. You won't find St Nicholas Withycombe records online for that year - they only go up to 1812 (and they are transcripts, not originals).
                    Last edited by Rick; 13-03-15, 22:37. Reason: Added more info
                    Rick

Comment

Originally posted by currie1972 View Post
                      he must have lost his wife and then went on to marry her sister.
                      Which of course was prohibited - although it did happen on a regular basis. My own 3xG Grandfather did the same in 1840 - which, once I worked it out, explained why he got married for the second time some distance from his home parish.

Marrying your dead wife's sister was finally allowed in 1907 by the passing of the "Deceased Wife's Sister's Marriage Act" - one of the snappier titles for a piece of legislation, matched only by the "Deceased Brother's Widows Marriage Act" which followed after another 14 years, in 1921.
                      Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                      Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

I have a friend who discovered very late in life that the woman she had always called mother was in fact the twin sister of her dead mother! Unbelievably, her mother died, her father married the twin sister - AND NO ONE IN THE FAMILY KNEW!!!!

It was a very helpful local registrar who finally solved the puzzle of why there were two marriage certs seemingly to the same woman two years apart..the sisters were called Mary and May and dad declared himself a bachelor both times.......friend said it explained why she never had any contact with her grandparents.

OC

Comment

wow OC thats spooky

Comment

AnthonyM, I had no idea this was prohibited. I guess he had a scandalous life from birth, with his father rumoured to be a local squire. I will definitely be ordering a certificate for the marriage to confirm.

Is there a book you could recommend for me to find out this kind of information, prohibited marriages etc or website. Sorry I'm a bit old school and still like a book in my hand, lol.

That is an amazing story OC.

I hope I get to study genealogy properly one day, it's so fascinating.

Comment

Originally posted by currie1972 View Post
                              Is there a book you could recommend for me to find out this kind of information, prohibited marriages etc or website. Sorry I'm a bit old school and still like a book in my hand, lol.
                              The best book on marriage I have found, and one I refer to regularly, is "Marriage Law for Genealogists" by Rebecca Probert, a law professor at Warwick University. Unlike some legal books, it is very readable and she explains very clearly what was and wasn't allowed, when and why, and how things changed over time, she also dispels quite a few myths about things like handfasting & "broomstick marriages" and other things that have become fashionable amongst some recently.
                              Last edited by AntonyM; 14-03-15, 10:10.
                              Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                              Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Thank you, I've noted that down, sounds an interesting read.

Comment

Originally posted by AntonyM View Post
                                  Which of course was prohibited - although it did happen on a regular basis. My own 3xG Grandfather did the same in 1840 - which, once I worked it out, explained why he got married for the second time some distance from his home parish.

Marrying your dead wife's sister was finally allowed in 1907 by the passing of the "Deceased Wife's Sister's Marriage Act" - one of the snappier titles for a piece of legislation, matched only by the "Deceased Brother's Widows Marriage Act" which followed after another 14 years, in 1921.
                                  I have several examples of this - wife dies and husband left with young children to care for. Unmarried sister-in-law moves in to keep house and rear the children, takes over other "wifely duties", ends up pregnant, followed by a marriage in another place (sometimes the registrar's office) and a return to home as normal.
                                  I read once that because it was illegal, as long as the marriage was conducted low key and out of the home parish and also the parish where the first marriage had taken place, then usually it was "accepted" by those living round about the family and the vicar baptised subsequent children.

Jay
                                  Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Working...
                                  X