Break in Family Tree Line!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Break in Family Tree Line!

Have got a fair way back now with my Forster line who have been "difficult" to say the least.
    Checked "relationship to me" after adding the most recent one and it said "no known relationship to you". I know she is related and the next one back in line BUT she doesn't have a husband and does have three children - she was a bit ahead of her time and never married - don't even know if the children had the same father. She is, nevertheless, part of the main line - have tried adding a "fake" husband to no avail.
    How do I overcome this. She and the children all have the family name.
    Can't get my head round it - I keep thinking there must be an easy way. Has anyone else had this problem? She is Esther Forster b 20.11.1743 Chelford, Cheshire - d 11.7.1793 Astbury, Cheshire. Sue

What FT software are you using? With FTM I think you can add an "unknown" partner.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

If she's a direct relative then it doesn't make any difference whether she has a husband or not. If she's a 'twig' then maybe its different? Can't you try coming forward generation by generation till you get to yourself in case there really is a break in the link as you have entered it, which can be corrected.
      Anne

Comment

Slightly off topic, but isn't the name of the father of the children mentioned in the PR? I have relatives in Astbury at a similar time and putative fathers are very often named in the register.

OC

Comment

Anne: Rest of the line up to her (or the person beyond her) is OK - she is not a twiglet she is a "mainliner".

OC: Woke up with brainblock this am - I am sure I should know what PR is but can't remember. It certainly would appear that anc.co is "sex biased" - perhaps I will just put "Fred Forster" in! I did look at FSOrg but am not sure enough it is her on there and I am not sure the names of the father's are the same (which of course they may well not be).

Sue

Sue

Comment

Uncle John, I am using Anc.co.uk. The male line seems to be the continuity line. Sue

Comment

Parish register!

Astbury was a huge district and there are overlapping records including Bishops Transcripts (and possibly Archbishop's transcripts if I remember rightly). I used the originals not the online records which weren't available anyway when I started my research.

OC

Comment

Of course, Parish Register!
                I believe, somewhere online, there are BTs for Cheshire but last time I looked Astbury was not on there - it was some new project when I first saw it - if I could remember what it is called I would look again.

I think I will do a bit of gardening instead (rolcgu)

Sue
                Last edited by Sue1; 13-03-15, 13:17.

Comment

Ooooh Sue, you don't mean that awful site, name escapes me, which was set up about 30 years ago in the infancy of computers - you have to find one thing, like John, then click on a little button to find surname Smith then click on another button....and so on, absolutely awful!

You may be right about Astbury not being online I have a vague memory that the archbishop would not allow the records to be filmed, but that may have changed of course.

OC

Comment

OC - no don't think it is the same website although it is a bit similar and awful but maybe has improved.
                    It is possibly a University project to put BTs for Cheshire online. Has the name cprbt ?? or similar - most peculiar and cumbersome to use and doesn't even have a proper name to remember. You have to know the date you are looking for and ASTBURY is still not on! You need the patience of a saint to use it which is why I have so rarely looked at it. (I think if you type: "Cheshire project to put BTs online" you will probably get it".) The other thing I notice about Cheshire research on ancestry is that VERY few "hints" come up once researching in that county - census come up but I am pre-census now so pretty much zilch for my lot.
                    The other thing about above site is that you have to know the code for the place you are searching - sometimes self explanatory but quite often not if you don't know Cheshire - Macclesfield for instance will come up under Prestbury (or viceversa). Oh, and you have to read the date backwards! In the case of Cheshire and the absence of any other memberships than Ancestry it is best to use FSOrg. Sue
                    Last edited by Sue1; 14-03-15, 00:21.

Comment

That's the one Sue! I have recently deleted it from my bookmarks.

I have a major line in Cheshire and I did it by borrowing the films at my local LDS family history centre. The reward for that is that the registers are wonderfully full of extra detail which almost never gets online anywhere! One of the things I found was the banns book and an explanation why a marriage had not taken place. In the same banns book was another marriage for another child of the family that I had missed altogether and would probably never have found online because I wasn't looking for another child.

OC

Comment

I, too, have deleted it which is why I can't remember the proper access name!

I don't suppose you are researching Forsters or Bebbingtons in Cheshire? Worst case scenario is that you may find you are related to ME! What an honour that would be for you (rofl-cgu)
                        I have tried to use local LDS FHC to no avail - i.e. never open and although I have a phone no. nobody ever answers the phone. It may be that it is a Centre that does not have the facility for that use any longer although it is given on the FSOrg site as one that does. Not sure where the next nearest one would be - the one above was Kings Lynn. I imagine Peterborough would have one - will look into that (but would they have the correct records - do you have to send to London for them and take them along to read?)

Going away for six weeks next Thursday so won't be doing it any time soon.

Sue

Comment

Sue

I think I have Bebbingtons, I'll check.

My local centre is also now very difficult to contact! Never open, no one answers the phone.......you have to order the film you want online and it will be sent to the centre of your choice for you to read there.

OC

Comment

OC

My first Bebbington is Jane - 1797 d Somerford - 1852 d Smallwood who married George Forster in 1816 at Prestbury Church. Jane was my GGG Grandmother. Husband died (George Forster) and she remarried in 1851 to a Joseph Painter and she died the year after they married. Jane's parents were Betty Dean and Samuel Bebbington of Acton-by-Nantwich.

Sue

Comment

cheshire is well covered on FMP.

Comment

Kylejustin: It may well be worth me using it as "pay as you go" - unlikely to take out a subscription as I don't like the website - not because of its content but because I find it extremely "awkward" to use.

Sue

Comment

This is the Cheshire PR site in case you need it again, Sue:

Comment

Thanks Mary. Shan't be using it for a while as off to Spain for 6 weeks on Thursday! Can't wait to feel the sun. Sue

Comment

Sue1

Checked my Bebbingtons and I don't think we have an obvious connection. My Elizabeth Green married a Bebbington before 1820 (info from Will). Their son Richard bc 1814 Weaverham married ?Elizabeth? and had Jane 1843 (m William Trafford) Mary 1846 (m William Potts) Ralph 1857 untraced, Samuel 1859 untraced. All Chelford/Weaverham.

OC

Comment

I hope the weather's better in Spain than it is here. It's been chucking it down for the last 2 days.

Comment

Working...
                                        X