Last seen in 1891 Canada census - siblings Perlin E & Cynthie A DODMAN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last seen in 1891 Canada census - siblings Perlin E & Cynthie A DODMAN

I share a line of Dodmans (who left Norfolk for Ontario in the 1830’s) with one of our Canadian members. He is stuck with his research into the two youngest children of John Dodman (1825 – 1907) & his wife Mary Jane, (nee McKay)
    There were 13 known children, most of whom he has managed to track, but we are both having problems tracking the youngest 2 : son Perlin E born c1874 and daughter born c 1876 most likely named Cynthia Annette (aka Nette in 1891)
    In 1881 & 1891 the children were both recorded in the parental home in Howard, Ontario, where their father farmed. Mother Mary died in 1900. My first reaction was that Cynthie A was probably married and in her own home by 1901, but I can’t find a marriage reference.

I think I have just found father John in Howard in 1901 (transcribed as Dedman) – 75 yrs, farmer, head of house.

With him is son Eugene, wife & 3 children, & also 2 others , one of whom seems to be daughter transcribed as Tena, 20 yrs. Age is out , but could this be “thia” (Cynthia???)
    I haven’t any worldwide subs. Can anyone help with either Perlin or Cynthia/Nette?

Thanks for reading
    Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

i'll have a look Jay.. be back in amo
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

hmmn seems the son was born in 1854 and it might be that he has been married twice, there is also what looks like an 'adopted' daughter too, the image is very poor if you would like to give me your email I will send the image onto you if you would like.
      Julie

Comment

On Ancestry, the image seems to say Tena - it is linked with Christina Dodman. There is a marriage for Christina Dodman in 1910 to Willaim Alex Haines. she is the daughter of John D and Mary McKay. The witness however is Nettie Kaufman of Saginaw, which might be a possibility.
        Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

1901 Canada Cens:http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/88...eId=z000059599
          Last edited by Darksecretz; 11-03-15, 20:55.
          Julie

Comment

Thanks girls.

John & Mary did indeed have a daughter Christina - familysearch records the marriage as July 1910.
            I have Christina's year of birth as c 1865. I'm not sure whether or not she was with her parents in earlier census _ I'll have to check.

Son (Daniel) Eugene was born c 1855. In 1896 he married Lucinda Wilson, born c 1868 and they had 2 children by 1901 - Violet, Daisy and Wilson. I think he was still single and in the parental home in 1881 & 1891.

I don't have a Kaufman link for this family, so it COULD be Nettie Dodman after a marriage???

Thanks for the offer of the image Julie. I've sent a mail to the Canadian member (J) advising him about this thread and asking him to add any sources and links that he has. I'm waiting to hear back from him - if he hasn't got a copy of the image for me, I'll get back to you on that one tomorrow. if I may.

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Thanks Julie - that link will only open for people with worldwide membership :(

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                Thanks girls.

John & Mary did indeed have a daughter Christina - familysearch records the marriage as July 1910.
                I have Christina's year of birth as c 1865. I'm not sure whether or not she was with her parents in earlier census _ I'll have to check.

Son (Daniel) Eugene was born c 1855. In 1896 he married Lucinda Wilson, born c 1868 and they had 2 children by 1901 - Violet, Daisy and Wilson. I think he was still single and in the parental home in 1881 & 1891.

I don't have a Kaufman link for this family, so it COULD be Nettie Dodman after a marriage???

Thanks for the offer of the image Julie. I've sent a mail to the Canadian member (J) advising him about this thread and asking him to add any sources and links that he has. I'm waiting to hear back from him - if he hasn't got a copy of the image for me, I'll get back to you on that one tomorrow. if I may.

Jay
                sure, no worries.. :smilee:

do you know what John died of? I found his death and it seems it was uremic poisoning for 4 weeks..
                Julie

Comment

do you know what Perlin's middle name was?
                  Julie

Comment

Christina was in the family home in 1881,

I think she may have been in Detroit Michigan in 1900 & 1910 with the Kaufmans.

I came across Detroit in connection with another child of John Dodman (sibling of Christina, Nette, Perlin.) I'll have to go back over my jottings, but I think it was the marriage of John Bertram Mills, the son of deceased eldest sibling Charity Charlatta Dodman.

Jay
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I have the same cause of death for John as you, Julie.
                      No, I don't know what Perlin's middle name was. This couple gave all their children two fancy forenames, which it seems they couldn't pronounce properly, let alone read or write them! So loads of mis-transcriptions:(

I'm hoping J will join us at some point as these Canadian descendants are more closely connected with him than they are with me and I know he has been working on them for some time, trying to piece things together. The problem is lack of records, especially online.
                      I've been reliant on Ancestry worldwide at the library in our local town to try and fill in some of the gaps.
                      Jay
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Familysearch records for the marriage of the son of Gustaf Kaufman suggest that before her marriage Mrs Kaufman was Nettie C Maynard and 1910 census records Mrs Kaufman was born Canada c 1875/6.
                        The name Maynard rang a bell - according to my notes, another of these Dodman siblings, Avis Pemilia born 1854, married Thomas Maynard in 1875 and they had a daughter Cynthia Maynard 1875/6.

ETA Avis Pemilia died in 1877 - someone would have had to have looked after her little girl. Could she have gone to live with her maternal grandparents John & Mary and been their grandchild, recorded with their surname rather than her own? I don't actually have a birth record for either of the two children in the header (Perlin & Cynthie A/Nette) they just appeared in census recorded as son, daughter.

I now feel a headache coming on!

Jay
                        Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 11-03-15, 21:47.
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Just seen a ref with that, be back
                          Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                          http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Now I remember why,

Ontario, Canada, Marriages, 1801-1928
                            Name: Cynthia N Maynard
                            Birth Date: abt 1875
                            Birth Place: Ontario
                            Marriage Date: 21 Dec 1897
                            Marriage County or District: Essex
                            Father: Thomas Maynard
                            Mother: Avis Dodman
                            Spouse: G Eugene Kaufman
                            Spouse's Age: 26
                            Spouse Birth Date: abt 1871
                            Spouse Birth Place: Germany
                            Spouse Father: Chas W Kaufman
                            Spouse Mother: Wilhelmina Schlaterice Kaufman
                            Last edited by Elaine; 11-03-15, 21:48.
                            Elaine

Comment

Been back to the IGI, marriage 1875, also

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Name: Perah Emerson Maynard
                              Event Type: Death
                              Event Date: 30 Nov 1913
                              Event Place: Ridgetown, Kent, Ontario
                              Birth Date: 24 Nov 1873
                              Birthplace: Tp. Zone
                              Father's Name: Thos. Maynard
                              Mother's Name: Avis Dodman
                              Reference ID: yr 1913 cn 18222 , GS Film number: 1854934 , Digital Folder Number: 4176385 , Image Number: 734
                              Elaine

Comment

Thanks for that, Elaine.

Did you see the edit I'd added to post 12?

So do you reckon both Perlin E & Cynthie A of 1881 & Perlin & Nette of 1891 could well have been the GRANDCHILDREN of John & Mary? That would explain the apparent absence of birth details!

Jay
                                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                                  Thanks for that, Elaine.

Did you see the edit I'd added to post 12?

So do you reckon both Perlin E & Cynthie A of 1881 & Perlin & Nette of 1891 could well have been the GRANDCHILDREN of John & Mary? That would explain the apparent absence of birth details!

Jay
                                  YES

I see that he died of Typhoid fever [3 weeks] and heart failure and he was married doesn't state wifeys name though!

Last edited by Darksecretz; 11-03-15, 22:31.
                                  Julie

Comment

Just looking for a bit more, have Nettie to 1930 so far but I would say you are right about the children. Was just trying to chase a death for her in case it named parents, you never know!
                                    Elaine

Comment

There is a tree on Ancestry for the Dodman family, with lots of photos too. They have Nettie as a Dodman in 1881, but also have Avis's family as well. According to this tree Perlin is actually Pearl, and there was also a son called Llewellyn who died in 1881. I have found Cynthias birth on 9 Feb 1876, will see if I can find anything to confirm the other two children.
                                      Linda

Comment

found the death for Llewellyn in 1881 at age 10, but not having much luck finding the child born in 1874.

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/89...l=ReturnRecord
                                        Linda

Comment

Working...
                                        X