Henning Hall - Norfolk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Henning Hall - Norfolk

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this - I couldn't see anywhere better to ask?

I'm wanting to confirm that there was a place called Henning Hall in Norfolk at around 1909 that was a Workhouse? I can't find the place, but have been told that a relative was an inmate there at this time - it's kind of a key bit of info if it's correct and would help fill in some gaps. But as I said I cannot seem to find trace of such a place - I have tried googling it. I thought someone who knows Norfolk and it's history might be able to shed some light on it?

Obviously it's possible that the name of the place is wrong - the problem when someone tells you something off the top of their head lol

Thanks for any help you can give
    Kaye x

Everyday in every way my life is getting better!

Here is a list of Norfolk workhouses before 1834. I know that is before the date you are interested in, but there may be a similar named place here.

My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Sure it was Norfolk?

There was a Henning Hall in Essex.

Scroll down to paragraph below photo of Former Ingatestone workhouse, 2006.

Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

According to a newspaper Henning Hall was near East Harling. Now see this page and you'll see Guiltcross or East Harling Reformatory about half way down.
        Phil
        historyhouse.co.uk
        Essex - family and local history.

Comment

It was a little late last night to do further research but a look now reveals that it should be Kenninghall. It's a parish just over 3 miles from East Harling.
          Phil
          historyhouse.co.uk

Comment

Thank you for all your replies - it looks like my relative got muddled up!

I will take a look at the link for Workhouses in Norfolk and the Henning Hall in Essex.

Considering my ancestor was in Lancaster it seems strange that she should be in either of those counties, but my relative has done a lot of research and so far everything has checked out.

Thanks again for the help - I will check out all the links
            Kaye x

Comment

Just a note to say it looks like Kenninghall is the right place - it was an "Innebriate Workhouse" and my relative mentioned this.

I'm off to see if I can find my delightful ancestor who apparently resided there for a while - she apparently had at least 7 children, 4 of which survived. I know of one (my Great Grandfather) who was put straight in the workhouse and ran away to join the Marines, and one other who was with her Grandparents and then a Foster home - I'm searching for the other two. She doesn't sound like a particularly nice Woman, but I know her family were very poor (I think they came over from Ireland during the Potato Famine) and maybe she tried to do better but struggled? Hoping this place might shed some light?

Thanks everyone again
              Kaye x

Comment

Originally posted by Kaye LaLa View Post
                Just a note to say it looks like Kenninghall is the right place - it was an "Innebriate Workhouse" and my relative mentioned this.

I'm off to see if I can find my delightful ancestor who apparently resided there for a while - she apparently had at least 7 children, 4 of which survived. I know of one (my Great Grandfather) who was put straight in the workhouse and ran away to join the Marines, and one other who was with her Grandparents and then a Foster home - I'm searching for the other two. She doesn't sound like a particularly nice Woman, but I know her family were very poor (I think they came over from Ireland during the Potato Famine) and maybe she tried to do better but struggled? Hoping this place might shed some light?

Thanks everyone again
                not sure if you have had a google Kaye, but I found the location of the old Workhouse at Kenninghall, if you would like to see it as it is now, then google 'Guiltcross Farm' as this is the exact location and you can just see a few of the old buildings that have survived.
                Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

oh and if you would like some help locating the others then shout up :smilee:
                  Julie

Comment

Thanks Julie - I found Guiltcross and had a look at the photos.

I cannot find this woman there though - I can't seem to find her anywhere! I'm looking on Find my Past at the moment - wondering if Ancestry might have more? I can't afford to sign up for any sites at the moment and doing it for nothing is the hard way lol

I think I may be bald by the time I find this Woman lol
                    Kaye x

Comment

Originally posted by Kaye LaLa View Post
                      Thanks Julie - I found Guiltcross and had a look at the photos.

I cannot find this woman there though - I can't seem to find her anywhere! I'm looking on Find my Past at the moment - wondering if Ancestry might have more? I can't afford to sign up for any sites at the moment and doing it for nothing is the hard way lol

I think I may be bald by the time I find this Woman lol
                      if you chuck a name out at me i'll have a look and see what I can spot [if anything] I use Ancestry
                      Julie

Comment

Oh thank you - that would be really helpful.

The details I have are?
                        Catherine Hayton - Widow - born c1861 in Lancaster, Lancashire

Her Maiden name is Baker, but I don't think she reverted to it after the death of her Husband Mathew.

She had a Son in 1886 - don't know who his Father was - and he seems to have gone straight to the Workhouse (without Catherine). She then married Mathew in 1887 and had a daughter Isabella in 1888. Mathew also died in 1888. That was the last I could find of her, but apparently by 1909 she was in what I think is Kenning Hall and obviously in a bit of state!

Thank you again for the help - you may preserve my sanity lol
                        Kaye x

Comment

do you know what happened to Isabella?
                          Julie

Comment

I have just stumbled across something by Googling - I think Catherine said her dob was 1867. It looks like someone on Genes Reunited did some research and found Catherine - because they were looking for "Alice Hayton" - who it looks like was her daughter!!!

I don't know for sure what happened to Isabella - the problem is her Grandmother (on her Father's side) was called Isabella Hayton, her Aunt (Father's Sister) was Isabella Hayton and goodness knows if any of them had children also called Isabella Hayton lol

I know an Isabella Hayton married and emigrated, but I don't think it's the right Isabella.

She was definitely alive up until about 1912 because I have her Brother's Military Record and she is down as next of kin until he married.

It's such a difficult line to trace - she was obviously a drunkard, possibly a prostitute? Mothered children and dumped them! Her Parents are a bit of a dead end too.

I wanted to find Catherine's children to see if there are any family out there that I don't know about.
                            Kaye x

Comment

Here she is on the 1911 census on FMP. No 12 on the page.
                              Create an account for free with Findmypast to discover your family history and build a family tree. Search birth records, census data, death records and more.
                              Last edited by keldon; 12-03-15, 17:46.
                              Phil
                              historyhouse.co.uk

Comment

Thank you both - found her!

The bad news is that I don't think it is my Catherine Hayton :( She links in with a different Catherine who was born in Norfolk and married in Paddington. I have emailed the chap who gave me the info to see what else he comes up with, because I'm sure this isn't the right woman.

Thank you for your help x
                                Kaye x

Comment

hmmn I have found her in 1911 but she says she is married for 23 yrs>>> 7 children born 4 still alive and 3 that have died.

very odd
                                  Julie

Comment

Hi Julie - it doesn't fit does it :(

There is another Catherine Hayton born in Norfolk and married to a Henry Hayton in Paddington. This woman was arrested for being drunk and ended up in Kenington Hall which was meant to reform them.

It looks like it was a bit of a wild goose chase - but thank you so much for looking and helping
                                    Kaye x

Comment

I take it this is 'your' Catherine in 1881?

Source Citation
                                      Class: RG11; Piece: 4266; Folio: 92; Page: 33; GSU roll: 1342020

if you would like me to keep on looking then I will... don't like leaving things untidy...lol
                                      Julie

Comment

Yes that's my Catherine

Can't track her down once she's married!
                                        Kaye x

Comment

Working...
                                        X