• Lincolnshire Marriage Look-up please

I have the following marriage of possible interest:

Name: Albert Goulding
    Spouse's Name: Susannah Grant
    Event Date: 22 May 1871
    Event Place: Great Grimsby, St James, Lincoln, England
    Father's Name: James Goulding
    Spouse's Father's Name: William Grant
    Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M16322-3 , System Origin: England-ODM , GS Film number: 1541946

I wonder if someone could kindly let me know Albert's age and his father's occupation if only to rule it our. Thanks

Just had a look at 1871 census.

There is an Albert Goulding living at Great Grimsby as a lodger aged 24 Fisherman born London. the name underneath is Susannah Grant aged 20 sister (probably to the head of the house) born Barking Essex.

The head is James Porter aged 28 fisherman.

Hope this might help
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

They are the 2 that married just a few weeks later. I'm trying to ID Albert's father's name and occupation to verify whether it's the same chap as the one I am following with known parents etc. He may have died in London but with the information I'm seeking I hope to rule him in or out for definite.

Comment

Name: Albert Goulding
        Spouse's Name: Susannah Grant
        Event Date: 1871
        Event Place: Great Grimsby, St.James, Lincoln, England
        Father's Name: James Goulding
        Spouse's Father's Name: William Grant
        Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M16322-3 , System Origin: England-VR , GS Film number: 1541946 , Reference ID: 2:3CVXJ1C

Found by searching Hugh Wallis site with Batch no

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Doesn't help with occupation though.

Oops sorry thought you needed father there. Should have read yours through properly!!!
        Last edited by Katarzyna; 10-03-15, 20:32.
        Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

I go to GY RO about every 3 months when I have a list of what peeps need. I can try to look this up in the records next time I go if you haven't found it through the lincs to the past site meantime. Have you looked through the PR's on there yet?
          Last edited by Katarzyna; 10-03-15, 20:36.
          Kat

Comment

Thanks Kat . Father's name is encouraging but occupation would clinch it. I tried lincs to the past earlier but didn't find any PRs -probs need to look again (must have overlooked something) .
            Last edited by Bertie; 10-03-15, 20:45.

Comment

Just been there myself Bertie, - no marriages for the 1800's. I wonder why- that is very strange as they have all the baps and burials.
              Not on FMP Lincs collection either. Will try to get to RO this week.
              Kat

Comment

Ah that explains it! I knew about the FMP collection so thought I might get the answer easily so strange it's not there either. Your offer is very much appreciated: thank you.

Comment

Had to go to town this morning so took the opportunity look for the marriage. 10 minutes in and out!

St James Parish Church, 22 May 1871

Albert Goulding, Batchelor, full age, Fisherman, living Fotherby Street, Father - James Goulding - Carman
                  Susannah Grant, Spinster, full age, living Fotherby Street, Father - William Grant - Fisherman
                  Both Signed
                  Witnesses: George Glover, Mary Porter
                  Kat

Comment

Thanks so much Kat - it looks like the 'wrong' Albert as the one I am looking for had father James' occupation (consistently) as Chairmaker. Thanks so much for your help

Comment

Just for info .... there are no marriages after 1837 on LincstothePast. I guess they didn't want to conflict with those who sell certs?
                      Anne

Comment

Hi everyone (particularly Bertie)

Albert and Susannah Goulding were my great-great grandparents. They both came to Grimsby at the end of the 1860s / early 1870s - Albert from the London area, Susannah from Barking in Essex. I'm intrigued by the interest in them as I thought we knew all descendants of these two!!

Comment

Hi Peter - these are distant cousins on my tree. I have Albert born 09 Jan bap 30 Mar 1845 Shoreditch - parents James GOULDING and Mary Anne. I know his later census records state London or Barking, Essex so it seems (as I said above) that the Grimsby Albert is a different Albert and the one I am looking for did not, therefore, go to Grimsby.

Comment

Hi Bertie - you've no idea how grateful I am to hear that! Have been looking at Albert for over 30 years now and am still unsure if we have the correct "Albert in London" Obviously, "Albert in Grimsby" is ours. Censuses state he is born either in London or Barking, Essex. His marriage cert states his father James was a carman. And my grandfather's memoirs state he was a bewhiskered old sea dog with an Irish accent!!! And that's about all we really know.
                            Rewind to "Albert in London" The only birth cert or baptism we can find that fits is the 'born 09 Jan bap 30 Mar 1845 Shoreditch' son of James and Mary Anne (nee Taylor) The only doubt we have - and one that won't go away - is that this James was a chairmaker, not a carman. This James, as you probably know came from Wimborne in Dorset and died in 1856, still a chairmaker. (We've done a fair amount of of work on this family, if you want it. It still might be our family - the 'carman' on the 1871 cert could have been an error) We did find another James Golding who was a carman, but no sign of a son called Albert.

Comment

Hi Peter -

I agree re. James GOULDING: he was from Wimborne. If you have the details of his death I would be grateful to know them (all I have is Q4 1856 Shoreditch).

Re. Albert: I am inclined to think - from what I have - that he was from Barking as (as you will know) from the 1871 census he is with his wife to be - Susannah born Barking. They are in the PORTER household where James is born Barking (and his wife - likely Susannah's sister - Mary Ann born Lincs). Too many Barkings to be a coincidence?

Comment

Hi Bertie,

Yes, we scoured Barking, to no avail - no Albert baptism, Albert birth, nor James, a carman. And of course in the subsequent Grimsby censuses, Albert gave his birthplace as London, Middlesex. So this Albert, in Shoreditch, is our only real option. Wish the carman / chairmaker thing could be tied up though!
                                James Goulding died November 23, 1856 in Shoreditch Workhouse. Burial: November 30, 1856
                                Cause of Death: Apoplexy paralysis. Certified.
                                Medical Information: Informant: George Ford, present at the death. (Signed with his Mark and his address also given as Shoreditch Workhouse

There is a copy of James' application for Outdoor Relief dated Wednesday 9th March 1853:-

"James Goulding of 24 Walbrook Place there five and a half years. Before that 4 Albert Place, Hand Alley. Long Alley 11 years. (There is a symbol here which I cannot read) permanently disabled by paralysis. I am 53 years of age have a wife named Mary Ann to whom I was married in the parish church of Wimborne Minster in the county of Dorset on the 24th Nov 1822. 2 children chargeable Robert 9 years and Albert 7 years.

"Supposed to belong to Wimborne Minster by apprenticeship to Mr John Fluke of that place Chair Maker served 7 years and till I was 20 years of age unreadable word slept also services in Hos of father Jno Goulding in Wimborne Minster of (symbol unreadable).

"Irremoveable by residence."

Comment

Thanks for that Peter - the extra detail is fascinating. You have a classic dilemma!

FWIW James was born /bap James GOULDEN and I have this family back a further 3 generations. I also have his wife's, Mary Ann's, burial record but have not found her baptism in Wilts. You perhaps have all this - if not (and you care to know more) le me know.

Regards

Comment

Hi Bertie,
                                    Mary Ann Taylor was baptised in Mere, Wiltshire. Unfortunately we have two children of the same name baptised within a year of each other to two different sets of parents. I have yet to trawl through the Mere deaths and marriages to see if we can rule out one of them. One was baptised 3rd Jan 1804, daughter of Richard and Sarah. The other was baptised 18/08/1805 daughter of Thomas and Sarah
                                    As for the Gouldens, I'd be interested in comparing trees!

Banns proclaimed between James Goulden and Ann White 19/4/1772 Wimborne Minster. (There was a James Goulden s/o James Goulden bapt in 1757 in Wimborne but this might make him a bit young?
                                    Not sure if they married. Ann White is buried under her maiden name in Wimborne in 1805. James was buried February 07, 1779, Wimborne.
                                    Children - JOHN GOULDEN, b. 1779; d. 1826.
                                    LUCY GOULDEN, b. 1775. May have married MCSTAY
                                    DAVID GOULDEN, b. 1773. May well be the David Goulden who is the progenitor of the Goulding line in Newfoundland. There is a lot of circumstantial evidence.

John GOULDEN married Catherine FELTHAM. John's occupation in 1813 was a waiter.
                                    Children - i. JAMES GOULDING, b. 1799, Wimborne, Dorset; d. November 23, 1856, Shoreditch Workhouse.

ii. JANE GOULDING, Baptism: March 30, 1806, Wimborne, Dorset; m. HENRY HODDER, January 20, 1830, Wimborne Minster, Dorset.
                                    Jane appears as witness at her older brother James' marriage in 1824

iii. DAVID GOULDING, Baptism: November 17, 1809, Wimborne, Dorset

iv. LUCY GOULDING, Baptism: September 21, 1813, Wimborne, Dorset; d. Aft. 1830.
                                    Witness to sister Jane's marriage to Henry Hodder in 1830

v. MARTHA AMELIA GOULDING, Baptism: May 23, 1802, Wimborne Minster; Burial: February 22, 1818, Wimborne Minster, Dorset.

JAMES GOULDING was born 1799 in Wimborne, Dorset, and died November 23, 1856 in Shoreditch Workhouse. He married MARY ANNE TAYLOR November 24, 1822 in Wimborne Minster, Dorset. She was born Abt. 1804 in Mere, Wiltshire, and died August 1853 in Shoreditch.

Children of JAMES GOULDING and MARY TAYLOR are:
                                    i. CATHERINE4 GOULDING, b. Abt. 1831.
                                    ii. JAMES GOULDING,Baptism: July 17, 1836, St.John the Evangelist , Lambeth; d. Aft. 1841.

iii. CHARLOTTE GOULDING, b. May 14, 1839, 7, Merrydew Buildings,Shoreditch; d. December 21, 1839, 7, Merrydew Buildings,Shoreditch.Cause of Death: Inflammation of the lungs

iv. ROBERT PEEL GOULDING, b. February 19, 1843, 7, Merrydew Buildings,Shoreditch.
                                    There was a Robert Golding in the 1861 census serving in the RN on HMS Buffalo off the West Coast of Africa. He was a Boy 2nd Class(!) aged 17, born in Middlesex.

v. ALBERT GOULDING, b. January 09, 1845, 7, Merrydew Buildings,Shoreditch; d. May 25, 1916, 55,Mansell Street, Grimsby.(we think!!!)

Any thing you can add, please do!!

Comment

Hi Peter - I agree with the above in broad terms with some minor differences (mainly due to burial dates and that is somewhat inevitable with several e.g. James GOULDENS about and this is perhaps not critical anyway). Some specifics:

I 'claim' James the son of James as the first generation and don't think he was too young by the standards of the time.

Re. Mary Ann TAYLOR, I was looking for an earlier baptism as her census / burial records indicate she was born around 1801.

I have a burial record for Ann GOULDEN not WHTE (choices of 1799 or 1805). Their children David [buried Poole age 54 so not sure about the Newfoundland connection], Lucy [married first Edmund JOLES then Stephen STAY], John [see below], James [died young]

John GOULDEN [marr Caroline FELTHAM]. Children: James [see below], Martha [agreed], Jane [agreed - buried 1835], David [buried 1831], Lucy [marriage banns with John COOK - not sure if marriage took place].

James GOULDEN / GOULDING [marr Mary Ann TAYLOR]. Children [I have]: Martha [1823, James / Mary], Catherine [no baptism; nothing after 1851 - presume married], Lucy [1834-1835, James / Mary], James[[nothing after 1851], Robert [1851 is a possibility - I have nothing after 1841], Albert [bap 30 Mar 1845]

Unfortunately Albert was the last of the bunch - if not it would be perhaps easier to determine whether he was definitely part of this family based on birth dates / gaps but we can only work with what we have!

Regards

Comment

Hi Bertie,

Will need to spend a bit of time comparing and contrasting this. Many thanks for going to all the trouble.

In the meantime, here is the evidence for David Goulden and Greenspond in Labrador

Peter

Comment

Working...
                                        X