Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happened to Arthur William Woodley?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to Arthur William Woodley?

I am trying to tie up some loose ends with this branch of the Woodley family.

Please can someone help in what happened to Arthur William Woodley

He was born in 1869 in New Cross, baptised at Brockley St Peter in Sept 1869, son of Robert William and Maria Jane nee Mills.

I can follow him through the census including 1901, where he is a boarder in Lambeth, occupation Commercial Clerk. Then I lose him.

I do not have Worldwide access and I can see there is a Arthur William Woodley travelling to Albany, this looks a possibility as his brother went there too, although the brother died in 1897.

However there is a probate record for an Arthur William Woodley in 1951, but doesn't give much of a clue as whether this is my man. This names his wife as Grace. There is a possible marriage for an Arthur William Woodley to Grace Johnson in Headington 1908.

On familysearch there is a death and burial in 1904 Merton Surrey.

So, in the first instance, I am hoping someone would kindly check the passenger list or immigration details for the Arthur William travelling to Australia before moving to the marriage or death.

Many thanks.
    Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

I can't see a passenger list for him on Ancestry but have found this marriage in 1908 Sept Q:

Arthur William Woodley
    1908 Sept Q
    Headington, Oxfordshire
    Volume: 3a
    Page: 2137
    Names on page:
    Harry Gibbons
    Alice Charlotte Holder
    Grace Johnson
    Arthur William Woodley

Sue

ps.. oops I see you've already got this, sorry
    Last edited by Crafty Sue; 10-03-15, 08:18. Reason: added ps
    Sue

Comment

adding info

No worries. Thank you Sue.

This is the one I am interested in (well there are 3 in fact, 2 to Albany 1 to Sydney, on Ancestry worldwide.

Western Australia, Australia, Crew and Passenger Lists, 1852-1930▼

Passenger Lists

Name: Arthur W Woodley
      Arrival: date - Albany
      Last edited by bubblebelle; 10-03-15, 09:54.
      Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Not much info on him in the passenger, just that he is a 34 year old single male, disembarked at Sydney, occupation is Bookkeeper. Can't see any other records for him in Australian records either. Must go now - will have another look later.
        Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Ah thanks Linda. When you get back, if you have time what is the date please?
          Bubblebelle x

Comment

Back again for a bit - the Ship was the Suevic, arrived at Sydney 27 Aug 1906, and the manifest says Arthur embarked at Cape Town, and was British.
            Linda

Comment

Back again for a bit - the Ship was the Suevic, arrived at Sydney 27 Aug 1906, and the manifest says Arthur embarked at Cape Town, and was British.

Something to add to the mix - death for Arthur Woodley in Queensland 19 Jul 1915, parents Robert Woodley and Mary Jane Vince. It doesn't match exactly but might be worth pursuing just to rule out.
              Linda

Comment

Thanks Linda.
                Mother was Maria Jane Mills, so may be a mistranscription. Mind you I am finding the children giving misinformation everywhere, but that is nothing new within my family.
                Many thanks, I will try and investigate further.
                Bubblebelle x

Comment

Getting nowhere any help gratefully received
                  Bubblebelle x

Comment

Originally posted by bubblebelle View Post
                    However there is a probate record for an Arthur William Woodley in 1951, but doesn't give much of a clue as whether this is my man. This names his wife as Grace. There is a possible marriage for an Arthur William Woodley to Grace Johnson in Headington 1908.
                    I think you can discount this one. He has a service record on Ancestry that shows the marriage but he was born in about 1888

Jackie

Comment

Ah thanks, that is such a big help as it crosses one possibility off the list. I have been too focused on this, so haven't been looking at the wider picture. Many thanks Jackie.
                      Bubblebelle x

Comment

It also states on the manifest that he disembarked in Adelaide.
                        Death SA
                        Arthur William Woodley 28/6/1925 states he was 55yrs. Born C 1870 He is buried at West Terrace Cemetery
                        It seems he had three allotments near Seaton Park at the time of his death.
                        Last edited by niftynannie; 11-03-15, 08:40.

Comment

Thank you niftynannie.

I put a line through one and up pops another. I am really ignorant of all things Australia, although I can put many major cities in an approximation of where they are, so I googled West Terrace Cemetery to see if it's in Adelaide and up popped a search engine. Will have to try this more for Australian immigrants, I have quite a few in the family. So have found the one you mention. Many thanks.

It is frustrating not having worldwide in these cases. I will have to list all my pending worldwides then buy some FMP credits, I think, in order to try and sort this out and of course there is the 1904 death in UK too.
                          Bubblebelle x

Comment

Bubblebelle I have been looking for your Arthur William but not having much luck. I have worldwide and note the death on Ancestry but no additional info given. I can see Arthur's and Arthur Williams about but one is a Tailor and another Electrical Engineer. If you have any leads, I am happy to look them up.

Vera

Comment

Details of the Arthur William buried in Queensland in 1915 are on FamilySearch. He was only 5 weeks old, so not yours.
                              Linda

Comment

Thanks Linda another crossing out.

Many thanks Vera, although I cannot be sure he went to Australia, just a hunch as I can't find him post 1901 in UK. As I say there is a death in 1904 in Surrey which could be him.

He is not close family but the brother of a lady I am researching in a bit more depth as she was a 'Sister of Mercy'. She has always intrigued me and I am now liaising with the Sister of Mercy archivist re her life in the convent. As with my family nothing is straight forward and she, apparently unusually at this time, changed convents, and changed her religious name! So the archivists are intrigued too.

As I have put the effort in for this lady I thought I ought to at least attempt to tie up loose ends with her siblings. Arthur William is the one who is missing.

Thank you Vera.

In the 1891 census he was a bank clerk and in 1901 having left the family home remains single and gives his occupation as a commercial clerk. This career path is much the same as his family of bookkeepers, accountants etc.
                                Bubblebelle x

Comment

Bubblebelle

I've taken a look at the wider family including the lady you refer to. I can see her as a Sister of Mercy and then ?? as a Housekeeper at a HospitalConvent. They are all easy to follow with lots of records but Arthur William is another matter. I note three of the sibs in later years lived in Wallington, Surrey. I will take a look at that as there are some Surrey parish records on Ancestry.

Wonder if that child who died at 10 days has anything to do with Arthur William?

Vera
                                  Last edited by vera2013; 11-03-15, 18:54.

Comment

I'm glad I'm not the only one Vera, he really is a bit wily, hence why I wondered if he emigrated.

I contacted the archivist at Bermondsey and she has given me information to her time in Dockhead convent, and now an archivist in Birmingham is looking in greater detail at her life in St John & St Elizabeth. It is always lovely to fill out the story with more personal details. And all free! I will be sending a donation though.

I am supposed to be packing to move, so I am not concentrating on searching properly, dipping in and out when I take a break... shouldn't be researching anyway. Many thanks for your help.
                                    Bubblebelle x

Comment

Soory but also meant to say on the manifest it states he is a bookeeper.

Comment

Working...
                                      X