Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boer War help needed, please

Hi

According to service records from FMP and his Regiment (Royal Berkshires), William Edward Goodwin (b. 29 Jul 1873, Harwell) enlisted with 3rd Battalion Royal Berkshire Regiment on 19 Nov 1894, and on 3 Jan 1895 was "transferred to the regular army", where he served until 3 Jan 1907. Papers from the Regiment show him joining on 4 Jan 1895, that he was in Unit 2 R Berks, Company 2 Mounted Infantry and that he was awarded the Queen's South Africa medal with clasps for Cape Colony, Orange Free State and Transvaal; and the King's South Africa Medal with clasps 1901 and 1902.

On Friday I was given an article from his local paper when he retired from his job as a village postman, and that says:

In 1890 he enlisted in the Royal Berkshire Regt., and was in South Africa when the Boer War broke out. He went through the whole of this campaign with the mounted infantry, being present at the activity at Bloemfontein and Diamond Hill, and the historic taking of Pretoria.

On his enlistment papers in Nov 1894 he answers No to the questions about whether he is currently, or has ever been, in the services, so I don't know where his joining up date of 1890 comes from.

As far as I can find, there's only one William Edward Goodwin born in/around Harwell in abt 1873, so it's hard to mix him up with other people of the same name. I had though I'd found him on the 1891 census as an agricultural labourer in Nuffield, Oxon, which is only 12-15 miles from Harwell. Here's the link to the 1891 census, that I reckon is him

There's not much on the Royal Berks Regimental website about their activities during the Boer War, and to be honest it's all a bit as clear as mud anyway, this military stuff.

What I really would like to know is - does his version of events (as detailed in the newspaper article) tally with the medals/clasps that he won?

His name is given in newspaper reports in September 1900 as having been killed in action in April 1900 at Dewetsdorp, but this was later corrected in November 1900 to him having been "severely wounded only".

Can anyone help me, please or point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.
    STG
    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

I would trust the service records more than a newspaper article.

Some years ago I gave the same information sheet to three different newspapers and they each printed a completely different version.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

FMP is playing up so can't look at his record. What was his rank and Regimental no, please?
      The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
      Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by annswabey View Post
        FMP is playing up so can't look at his record. What was his rank and Regimental no, please?
        All that's on FMP is him signing up in Nov 1894 and transferring to the regulars on 3 Jan 1895 (i.e. 46 days service). The rest of the info I gave comes direct from a paid search the Regiment made for me.

STG

Comment

Did the regiment give you his number?
          Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

4321 !

Even I can remember that without having to look it up!

STG

Comment

Thanks - thought it might be!

Medal Roll for the QSA gives clasps as Cape Colony, Orange Free State and Transvaal

Comment

Thanks - thought it might be!

Medal Roll for the QSA gives clasps as Cape Colony, Orange Free State and Transvaal
                So, do they match with Bloemfontein, Diamond Hill and Pretoria?

And is there a card with the QSA details on, on FMP?

STG
                Last edited by SmallTownGirl; 08-03-15, 20:52.

Comment

I would believe the military records 100 percent. An old axiom re newspapers is that the only correct information printed is the date line and the price.:(
                  Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

The Medal Roll is on Ancestry. The clasps I mentioned are the only ones against his name

Comment

Originally posted by grumpy View Post
                      I would believe the military records 100 percent. An old axiom re newspapers is that the only correct information printed is the date line and the price.:(
                      Well, yes, indeed, but there are a number of things at play here, aren't there:

- the possible exaggeration of the story-teller
                      and
                      - the possible misunderstanding/mistranscription of the journalist

so I thought it was worth checking.

STG

Comment

The Medal Roll is on Ancestry. The clasps I mentioned are the only ones against his name
                        It's not coming up for me :(

Can you give me a link, please?

Thanks
                        STG

Edited to say : Found it! Thanks!
                        Last edited by SmallTownGirl; 08-03-15, 21:20.

Comment

Glad you found it!

Comment

And I found the one with the KSA records on as well. Didn't know they were on Ancestry!

Thanks for your help
                            STG

Comment

Working...
                            X