yet another random question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yet another random question

Hello... is there any inform available either on line or off line, that would tell me a persons occupation, any time after WW2 and 1983, this man was married in 1940 and cerf would just say Navy, and when he dies in 1983 cerf would just have retired on it...really wondering is it is possible to find out....I have exhausted Find my past today... and googled, now my mind is exhausted, can't see if this is possible, but a light bulb moment told me maybe someone here might just know, here's hoping for some suggestions.....thanks.......Lilly

If he was in the Navy then if it was RN there would be his records on ships he was on and the rating he attained, if he is close family someone may already have his record, I have that of my Father in Law who was in the Royal Navy until early 1950s

Edna

Comment

You say the certificate "would" say Navy or retired, does this mean you haven't actually seen the certificates? I ask because when my dad died in 1986 we described him as "organ builder (retired)" rather than just "retired". Also his marriage cert in 1939 didn't just say army but gave his regiment and his rank and I have see other wartime marriage certs where after the army rank the man's peacetime occupation has been added in brackets.
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Might there be some sort of notice in the local paper marking the death that gives clues (e.g. mention of a wreath from his ex-colleagues at Bodget & Scarper)?

STG
        Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

thanks Edna, but its not this Navy history I am interested in, he left the Navy after WW2. I need to know how he lived such a 'good' life after the War, with no training as such, nice house, retired to the seaside all bought, but the question is how? he was a van driver before the war...and badly wounded in the War.....I have my suspicions haha, oh he was honest as such, but, I think he come into an inheritance which he was suppose to share...for reasons didn't ....just trying to eliminate I thought if I could find an occuption it might explain the nice house, good living, big wedding for daughter, holidays aboard, this is the early 1950's lot of money for a job as a van driver don't you think???? ...Lilly ps daughter and wife dead and no children from daughter to ask...!

Comment

STG...thanks it certainly worth a look.....he died in 1983, so a possible.....thank you....Lilly

Comment

Hi Judith, hmm I see where you are coming from...

I was told by his late wife about his time in the Navy and was also told a story about who he worked for before the War and how they promised that he could have his job back after the War, but on his return, was told.'sorry we don't need you now'.....in the early 1970's they 'retired' to Weymouth(after selling their beauiful big house! )and bought a B+B, which they sold in the late 1970 to live out their last years he was nearly 80 by now and died in 1985, have just check for Wills, just going to check newspapers......no luck so far....although maybe a death cert might help, but I think it would just say B+B owner or something, as he hadn't worked for anyone for about 20 odd years before he died...ps I know about his War effort and jobs before the War, occup Van driver!!... Lilly

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
              You say the certificate "would" say Navy or retired, does this mean you haven't actually seen the certificates? I ask because when my dad died in 1986 we described him as "organ builder (retired)" rather than just "retired". Also his marriage cert in 1939 didn't just say army but gave his regiment and his rank and I have see other wartime marriage certs where after the army rank the man's peacetime occupation has been added in brackets.

Comment

Any children? Wouldn't their birth certificates would record an occupation?

Jay
                Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

When a friend died and we registerred his death I was surprised to see "wheelwright" given as his occupation - he hadn't been a wheelwright for the last 40 years, but as it was his trade that was what went on the DC.

I can see how your man could have made money when he bought/sold houses. Another friend who started with less than nothing (had to borrow ten quid to go on honeymoon) now owns a house worth at least two million. He has never had a fantastic job but has been careful with money and a wise investor. I wouldn't see your man's lifestyle as out of keeping or suspicious really.

And don't forget - someone has to win the football pools, haha.

OC

Comment

Thanks Janet, no afraid not, I think there were three girls, a couple born in the 1930's last one born abt 1938, obviously born before wife's second marriage, (they m. in 1940) but she did tell me that..'things were different then' she said... I have spend a while on Find my past, and Freebmd today, looking for their births, nothing there, as wife was married before, I have search her 1st marriage name, maiden and also second hubby name. for the birth of these girls... nothing....I really need occupation after WW2, that when he had the money....where from I want to know :( no money from first marriage, very poor in 1940 when they married, then suddenly they seem very well todo....no children after 1940 I expect because of his War injures......Lilly

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                    Any children? Wouldn't their birth certificates would record an occupation?

Jay

Comment

Oc you always see everything with a fresh eye, its great, maybe you are right, I will get his death cerf, of course there is so much more to this story, always is....but a ancestor left £849,492 1s 1p ( do you like the 1s 1p) in 1947 nothing in the Will that said man should have some, but now early 1950 he has bought a very nice house etc, very badly injured in WW2 though 'friendly fire' can't really work as such...to me that is alarm bells ringing....odd very odd.......Lilly

Comment

If there was a will though, it is difficult to imagine how anyone could have fiddled that because it was a HUGE amount of money in 1947 and lots of people would have been very interested indeed! Of course, there are ways and means if he had access to the house (for instance).

A great aunt died in 1970, in her late 70s and everyone was surprised to find that her house was virtually empty when she died, especially her favourite niece who had visited only a couple of weeks previously. GA had befriended a distant relative much younger than herself and he was present at her death. He said that GA had sold most of her stuff just before she died........no one could prove anything of course and the police were not really interested but we all know what WE think happened! He couldn't get at the will though.

OC

Comment

Working...
                        X