Bewildered by website as ever was!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bewildered by website as ever was!

FMP is free today and tomorrow - I thought I would make a determined effort to crack it!
    I can't even find my own birth on there (I tried).......................perhaps I should go back to sleep!

Sue

I know what you mean, they only have the 1861 census for my great grandmother when I know there are a lot more records for her, not even her birth in Suffolk can be found, or her marriage. They don't have enough records for me to warrant actually having a subscription with them. Luckily I can find what I want on other websites.

Pam

Comment

I searched and found my birth and marriage, and a current electoral roll entry entry. Oooh err to the last one, certainly!

STG
      Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Have you tried these hints and tips?

Caroline
        Caroline's Family History Pages
        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I've had a good few results for my Sussex ancestors' wills, and some useful newspaper reports.

Comment

Sue and Pam put a look up on here am sure somebody will help

Comment

One difference to be aware of on FMP is that, unlike Ancestry, the search ONLY gives you what you asked for. This sounds great but if what you asked for is not quite what is indexed (different spelling or year of event for example) you won't get any result at all. On Ancestry their flexible results often bring up the right person somewhere down the list, although it can be equally annoying to have 1,000s of results you didn't really ask for!
              Anne

Comment

I must admit to really liking FMP. I have had lots of good results on it and have adapted to the new search facility.
                It has been brilliant for parish records and finding wills for various counties. Before I start searching, I usually select the A-Z of record set tab in the top right-hand corner and narrow my search down, e.g. if I am searching for PRs from a specific county.

I certainly couldn't be without FMP.
                Elizabeth
                Research Interests:
                England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                  Sue and Pam put a look up on here am sure somebody will help
                  I am getting a bit slow on the uptake I think ..................I have only just realised what you have said!!!

Good thinking though.

Sue

Comment

It's the newspapers that I eventually ended up using and I'm rather happy that I did. Found a fair few for Lennon, Peacock and Fenny. All seems to be Dad's side today.
                    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Comment

I know what you mean Sue. I had planned this weekend to search for Vivian Allport Parkinson in India, thinking I would get his death and children he may have had. All I could find were the records I already had. However, I did manage to get some copies of records for the family of the lady he married, which was useful to discover the jobs they did.

I was was very disappointed, but will search a bit more to take me to the end of the free session. I too think I won't be taking out a subscription x x xhugs x x x
                      Stellanne x

Researching: Bennetts (Derbyshire), Parkinson (Durham, Yorkshire)

Comment

Working...
                      X