wish to remove "nickname" from persons in people directory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wish to remove "nickname" from persons in people directory

Using 2014 version of FTM. When I restored my family file from a BU HD it placed about 35 people at the top of the people directory. These folks have nicknames so they are shown first in the directory alphabetically by nickname. Example: (Amy) Amye Marie Jones. Because they are listed by nickname they don't show up down the list in the "Jones" family. If you don't know that they had a nickname you could overlook them easily.

I want to remove the nicknames from being shown per example and put them where they are supposed to be. Is this possible now without risking loosing the person altogether?

thanks

Hi

when you are in people view if you go to bottom right and click on 'Customize view' you will get a pop-up table, if you look on that table top right corner 'selected individual facts' there should be 'Births/Deaths' and possibly you might have 'Also known as' if this is in the top right hand table then you need to hi-light it and then click the < arrow in the middle panel that separates the two upper boxes. This then should [hopefully] remove it and revert names back to their respective family list
    I guess you mean the left hand family list that is searchable? I do use FTM 2014 but nowhere near the way that I should, I just use it for inputting names DOB's and census, tho I have also tried to be more thorough and adding extra bits of info, census details for every person and going off on tangents looking for every little twiglet!

hopefully I have helped you a little bit.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

what also might help is to search FTM's help index with the search term AKA this also seems to indicate why/how to resolve the issue.
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

In the name box what does the entry look like _ if it is Amye Marie Jones (Amy), then just delete the (Amy) bit and it will come up as normal in the list, i.e. Jones, Amye Marie. Then if you want you could put in the AKA field as Julie says above and enter Amy there. That is not picked up by the list so will stay as normal.

You would probably have to do this manually for each one, but if there are only 35, it shouldn't take too long.

Hope this makes sense.
        Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

wish to remove nickname

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
          In the name box what does the entry look like _ if it is Amye Marie Jones (Amy), then just delete the (Amy) bit and it will come up as normal in the list, i.e. Jones, Amye Marie. Then if you want you could put in the AKA field as Julie says above and enter Amy there. That is not picked up by the list so will stay as normal.

You would probably have to do this manually for each one, but if there are only 35, it shouldn't take too long.

Hope this makes sense.

Worked great, just what I wanted, thanks!!

Comment

Working...
          X