What could 'C of P' mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What could 'C of P' mean?

Just a quickie - in a parish record, anyone know what C of P could stand for next to a marriage record?

Amanda
    Last edited by Guest; 04-03-15, 14:09.

Were the couple married in a church as it could mean Church of Parish. What details do you have.

Comment

Yes, they were married in church. Most, not all, of the marriage entries have C of p after them. A very few don't have anything and some have 'by licence'. I have the parish records for baptisms, marriages and burials.

Church of parish sounds credible - thanks PD

Amanda

Comment

By licence I would have thought would be registry office or other civil building like a town hall for instance.

Comment

Originally posted by PDennis View Post
          By licence I would have thought would be registry office or other civil building like a town hall for instance.
          The marriage certificate should tell you where the ceremony took place and what denomination it was, if any. So that should clarify whether it was a registry office.

In my experience, licence simply tells you the authority for the marriage, not whether it was a civil ceremony. Many church weddings are by licence, not just registry office ones. Having a licence speeds up the process if you are in a hurry. Some denominations such as Presbyterians don’t use banns at all, and most of their marriages were by licence or special licence.
          Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

Originally posted by amck37 View Post
            Yes, they were married in church. Most, not all, of the marriage entries have C of p after them. A very few don't have anything and some have 'by licence'. I have the parish records for baptisms, marriages and burials.

Church of parish sounds credible - thanks PD

Amanda
            Are we to assume your description Parish Records means Parish Registers?
            Your original post did not make it clear but your follow-up post makes it more likely.
            If the records are Parish Records C of P could stand for Constable of the Parish, Clerk of the Parish but if parish registers most likely to stand for Church of Parish. I.E. the parish church (these were seldom named in records).

If so are these images of the original Parish Registers or transcripts of them?
            It would also help to know date and location.

Examples of Marriage Licences and other records and certificates may be found at

Cheers
            Guy
            Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Originally posted by PDennis View Post
              As the letters were found in a parish record the licence would be one granted for marriage in church without banns, nothing to do with registry office or civil buildings.
              Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I have never ever in all my years of researching, seen the expression "Church of Parish" when what is meant is either Parish Church (PC) or a church IN the parish which is not the parish church but is a sister chapel or a chapel of ease etc.

Why would you put C of P when you could more easily and elegantly write PC! I would also expect that all the entries to be for the parish church by default and only marriages not taking place in that church would be marked.

I would be checking whether that church also performed marriages in other chapels etc. In my experience those were recorded separately and only brought together for the BTs but I suppose anything is possible. C of P to me suggests "Chapel of P...."

OC

Comment

I think that what OC has said that it sounds more like a Chapel of P.... could be correct.

What date is this marriage? Pre 1829 and even post 1829 and Catholic Emancipation, many catholic marriages often took place in chapels that were not licenced for marriage, and couples were then referred to other churches, often C of E but not necessarily C of E churches. This happened to one of my OH's ancestors in Dorset.

As others have said getting married through a Marriage Licence has nothing to do with where the marriage took place but is usually a marriage in a hurry for whatever reason, not always because the woman is pregnant either!

Janet
                  Last edited by Janet; 05-03-15, 15:40.

Comment

Does it say 'of this parish' for both bride and groom? I was wondering if it might be this particular vicar's shorthand for 'couple od parish' to save him writing it out in full for each.
                    Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                      I have never ever in all my years of researching, seen the expression "Church of Parish" when what is meant is either Parish Church (PC) or a church IN the parish which is not the parish church but is a sister chapel or a chapel of ease etc.

Why would you put C of P when you could more easily and elegantly write PC! I would also expect that all the entries to be for the parish church by default and only marriages not taking place in that church would be marked.

I would be checking whether that church also performed marriages in other chapels etc. In my experience those were recorded separately and only brought together for the BTs but I suppose anything is possible. C of P to me suggests "Chapel of P...."

OC
                      Wouldn't that be Chapel of Ease OC?
                      Cheers
                      Guy
                      Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Think OC means Chapel of a place. For example a small community chapel within a large parish. I have seen, for example, married in the chapel at Barnsley, in the times when Barnsley fell within the parish of Silkstone, West Yorks.
                        Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                          Think OC means Chapel of a place. For example a small community chapel within a large parish. I have seen, for example, married in the chapel at Barnsley, in the times when Barnsley fell within the parish of Silkstone, West Yorks.
                          Anne
                          Yes, that is what I thought OC meant as well. My OH had an ancestor married at a Catholic Chapel in Lymington, but that chapel was not registered for marriages, and because they could not afford a licence, they then legalised their marriage at the local Registry Office, but they always maintained they married in the Catholic Church. The registers for this chapel have also been very difficult to track down, as the chapel was in a private house owned by the Catholic Weld Family, who have branches of their family in both Dorset and Liverpool.It would appear, after some searching amongst the Catholic Archives, that nobody seems to know where the records are. However, another couple married in the same chapel, legalised their marriage at the local C of E Parish Church

Janet
                          Last edited by Janet; 05-03-15, 18:58.

Comment

Guy

No, it would be Chapel of Pease, lol!

Yes, I meant Chapel of (a place name). I'm thinking in particular of one church which had parish church, a sister chapel, a daughter chapel and a chapel of ease. This often meant that entries were duplicated or sometimes missed and as Jant points out, if it were a private chapel at the Big House, for instance, quite often the register is lost forever.

Amck - when and where is the marriage you are looking at? Do other entries in the same register have the same thing in the margin? Could C of P be their residence?

OC

Comment

If it's by the signature of the person officiating, it could be curate of the parish.

Jay
                              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Jay

Yes, that's why I asked what date we are talking about - could be Curate of Parish or even Chaplain.

OC

Comment

So sorry for the delay, everyone, I am poorly at the moment.

The document I have is Registers of the Church of St Peter & St Clare, Fenny Compton, Warwickshire, Baptisms Marriages & Burials 1627 - 1837
                                  It is a transcription of the register

There are several entries after the two people's names who are getting married:
                                  consent of parents
                                  C of p.
                                  otp
                                  botp
                                  Licence

The C of p. also appears after the names of the witnesses but not necessarily of those getting married.

Amanda

Comment

I'd assume it is just an abbreviation for consent of parents. Otp = of this parish. Botp = both of this parish. The registers are on Ancestry - if you give a specific example I could look to see what the original says.
                                    Rick

Comment

Anne in Carlisle, Chapel of a place sounds interesting! On an online document, marriage I think offhand, the parish says Dassett Magna. Nowadays the Dassett Magna area is made up of four parishes, Burton Dassett, Avon Dassett with Fenny Compton, Farnborough and Gaydon with Chadshunt.

Comment

Well now Rick, that's interesting and I think that could be it - Consent of parents! It states this in full after some names and just C of p after others; perhaps it is simply a shotform used by those transcribing the register?

Amanda

Comment

Working...
                                        X