HELP in Coventry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP in Coventry

I need someone to look at Directories held at the Herbert Museum/History Centre in Coventry in an effort to find the address of a person who lived in Coventry 1950/60,s. I am willing to pay 15 pounds per hour via PayPal.
    Thank you.

Welcome to the Forum toby,

Have you tried phoning the Museum to ask if they do this service themselves as sometimes they will charge an hourly rate for a search though not all places do this.
    http://www.theherbert.org/whats-on/history-centre I just checked and they do research services

Edna

Comment

Coventry help

Originally posted by clematised View Post
      Welcome to the Forum toby,

Have you tried phoning the Museum to ask if they do this service themselves as sometimes they will charge an hourly rate for a search though not all places do this.
      http://www.theherbert.org/whats-on/history-centre I just checked and they do research services

Edna
      Yes, they do offer the service but at 30 quid an hour, just a tad expensive!

Comment

Are there any Forum members based in Coventry who can help me with this, how about a nice relaxing day at the Herbert looking at Directories!

Comment

http://www.covfhs.org/default.php maybe if you ask nicely on this site here someone may go for you

Edna

Comment

Toby,

you could try posting on our Research requests forum

and by following our guidelines you might get more specific help

If you have a request you wish to be undertaken at a specific location then initially you should see if another member has offered their services in the Research Offers (http://www.familytreeforum.com/content.php/751) section of the Reference Library: Research Offers: Cemeteries (http://www.familytreeforum.com/content.php/732

I don't know Coventry that well, so can't really help with the research sorry.
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

just a thought Toby, have you tried The British Library?

The British Library has the national collection of electoral registers from 1832 to the present day. The collection is complete from 1947 onwards, but patchy before World War 2.
              Access to electoral registers is subject to restriction for 10 years after publication, to comply with legislation on Representation of the People and Data Protection. The registers are arranged by polling district within constituency. There is no alphabetical list of voters. The collection is therefore primarily used for historical and genealogical research, rather than for tracing living people.
              Julie

Comment

just had another thought, what about the Phone directories?
                Julie

Comment

Wot? I have no idea of what Gedcom to Ftf means!

Comment

Thanks Edna, I will give it a go.

Comment

Electoral rolls are no good, I need an address which I don't have, the current phone book is no good because the person I am trying to research is deceased, about 10 years ago.

Comment

toby check your notifications at the top of the main page for a private message

Edna

Comment

Originally posted by toby blight View Post
                          Wot? I have no idea of what Gedcom to Ftf means!
                          the Gedcom is part of my signature [it appears on every post I make] it's like a tagline.. nothing to worry about :smilee:

I meant Historical Phone books that are on Ancestry, not the present day ones, if you give us a name it might help us to help you? do you have the desceased persons death certificate? what was the address on that please.
                          Julie

Comment

Hello Julie, are you part of the FTF Forum? Sorry about my flippant remark about Gedcom, Ilooked it up on the internet I am not clear on what I would have to do, would it help with my enquiry?
                            Thanks.
                            Toby.

Comment

Toby a Gedcom is really a portable Family Tree that can be downloaded to any situation, Family Tree Forum has a database of Gedcoms of members Family Trees so will not in your case help you find your person in Coventry.

I hope you have found my Private message on this Forum

Edna

Comment

Hello Julie, are you part of the FTF Forum? Sorry about my flippant remark about Gedcom, Ilooked it up on the internet I am not clear on what I would have to do, would it help with my enquiry?
                                Thanks.
                                Toby.
                                yes, I am part of FTF [a moderator] Toby, :smilee:

on FTF we have a Gedcom database that members can upload their own family tree/s, in which this means that members can search the database to see if they have a connection to each other. I don't believe at this time that our database would help you.

so the lettering underneath my name really is nothing for you to worry about.

Do you have the deceased person's death certificate Toby? is there not an address on that???

also as the person IS deceased, you can add their details on here and we can have a look to see if we can find anything.
                                Last edited by Darksecretz; 07-03-15, 08:24.
                                Julie

Comment

Hello Edna, I have sent an email to the FHS in Coventry, I am sure that they will help, will let you know. Cheers

Comment

Hello Julie, are you "Darksecretz" fabulous photo if I may say so! I have almost nothing on the person that I am looking for, Ian Gray is a complete mystery, lived in Coventry 1950,s, don't know when he died, born 1924 in Canada, worked for Massey Ferguson in Coventry 1950,s I have researched everything that I can, I am hoping that the Herbert Directories will give me a possible middle name for him and I can check further. I have sent an email to Coventry F.H.S.to ask if one of their members can look at the Directories for me, they are listed alpha by name so should find something, will let you know. Thank you very much for your helpful advice!

Comment

Hello Julie, are you "Darksecretz" fabulous photo if I may say so! I have almost nothing on the person that I am looking for, Ian Gray is a complete mystery, lived in Coventry 1950,s, don't know when he died, born 1924 in Canada, worked for Massey Ferguson in Coventry 1950,s I have researched everything that I can, I am hoping that the Herbert Directories will give me a possible middle name for him and I can check further. I have sent an email to Coventry F.H.S.to ask if one of their members can look at the Directories for me, they are listed alpha by name so should find something, will let you know. Thank you very much for your helpful advice!
                                      Hi Toby, yes I am Darksecretz :smilee:

I will have a look to see if I can find any useful information.
                                      Julie

Comment

right I know it is a long shot, but if you use Facebook you could try contacting the Massey Ferguson Social Club to see if they know of Ian Grey [ex worker]

Massey Ferguson Social Club, Ковентри. Отметки "Нравится": 2 355 · Обсуждают: 7 · Посетили: 4 935. Massey Ferguson Social Club

Do you know exactly when his birthday was?
                                        Julie

Comment

Working...
                                        X