Almost finished?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost finished?

Finally found most of what I was looking for after a few years searching. I visited my eldest cousin who gave me loads of family photo's and certificates relating to births deaths marriages etc to copy. Even my grandfather's army tag. And I saw the medals he had. Wow what a find.
    So, it looks like after this lot there isn't much else to search for. It looks like I may be ready to write up the family tree on 2 sides of my grandparents family now.
    Twiglet
    Last edited by TwigletNumber5; 03-03-15, 22:40.
    Twiglet

how lucky are you must be a wonderful feeling good luck

Comment

That's lovely. What a great find. Lovely to have the things that he wore also.

I do get a bit miffed that others in my family have photographs I would like for my tree and don't see the need to share or pass them on. They will only end up with their children who most likely will just leave them in a box or worse still destroy them

Vera

Comment

Could you politely ask them to have them copied at your own expense Vera, explain that Family photos are often lost when they are passed down the family so a sure way to keep them in the family is to have them copied and share them.

Edna

Comment

Edna I have asked for a copy or for me to copy them. Its a close relative who I believe just hasn't got around to it. I fear they never will and they will be lost to me and to other family members who have a copy of my tree. Its a bit of a lottery about who gets what. A member of the wider family has a copy of the bible belonging to my great grandmother. I live in hope

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
            That's lovely. What a great find. Lovely to have the things that he wore also.

I do get a bit miffed that others in my family have photographs I would like for my tree and don't see the need to share or pass them on. They will only end up with their children who most likely will just leave them in a box or worse still destroy them

Vera
            You are so right, I dread to think what would have been lost to us and future generations if we hadn't have visited my cousin and asked for them, so we could copy them.
            We only went on a hunch thinking it might just be possible that this cousin had some photo's, imagine what we felt like seeing all those photo's AND certificates, right down to grandparents born in 1883! And a gr grandfathers death certificate!
            Twiglet

Comment

Twiglet

I think that's what I must do - visit the relatives and see what they have. Not many photographs taken in our family even in fairly recent times. I am aware of one of my grandparents with my father. They too were born in the 1880's and a lovely one of my mother with a 20's bob.

Lovely for you to have your treasures.

Vera

Comment

Yes vera you must go and see. I'd advise anyone who thinks relatives may have photo's and certificates to go and ask to be able to scan them. Once passed on after that they are bound to get lost and god forbid thrown out.
                Last year 2 younger sister's threw out some "Old black and white photo's"! without consulting anyone, we know there was some very early ones of the older end of the family. What they didn't realise was, photo's were not taken so much when the older end of the family were small, it was only when we had more money that photo's were taken of the younger end of the family. So they thought all the B&W ones were not worth saving!
                It is sad to think they are now lost forever.
                Twiglet

Comment

I went through mum and dads collection of old photos while they were away, and then said to them "so, who's this ?" to each one I did not know. There's a lovely photo of afternoon tea out in the garden, most usual for the times, probably before World War 1. When Dad started naming the people I realised that we had a photo of my g-g-grandmother Mary Ann, born in the 1830s ! I think that my grandmother, who would have been in her early teen years, might have taken the photo, as she is not in it, and the photo was with my dad.
                  Diane
                  Sydney Australia
                  Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

That's wonderful Diane, it's amazing to find old family photo's of people that were born that long ago.
                    One of the photo's we found is of a grand old lady with a child of about 1, we think it's a girl but could be a boy as they dressed them all the same then.
                    I think but am not sure 100% , that it could be my eldest uncle with his gr grandmother Elizabeth, she too was born in 1830. There are strong family resemblances to the old lady that I can see in my grandmother. I deduced it could not be her mother as she died at aged 57 and would not therefore look that old compared to this old lady.
                    Twiglet

Comment

Working...
                    X