Isaac Bushell 1805-1895

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isaac Bushell 1805-1895

I am trying to discover Isaac's parentage. In all census returns he consistently states his place of birth as Bradfield, Berkshire and year of birth as 1805. The parish record of his marriage to Mary Lailey in Bucklebury in 1832 again states his own parish as nearby Bradfield. I have not located his birth details in any of the adjacent parishes and the only other clue I have is that in 1851 he had either his father or grandfather Thomas Bushell from Englefield living with him and his family.
    There are records of a Thomas Bushell from Englefield with a wife and numerous children, but none named Isaac.

There is a family tree on Ancestry that has Thomas Bushell b.1771 and Hannah Sargood b.1770 as Isaac's parents, which could possibly be correct.

The Thomas Bushell from Englefield in 1851 could be Isaac's father and the children's grandfather. I wonder how big Isaac's home was, he was only a labourer most of the time, yet he had over the years a lot of family living with him, in 1891 he still had sons at home, in 1881, he had his brother-in-law, his grandchildren and their mother living with him and Mary. It must have been really a tight squeeze.

There is an 1841 census which has a Thomas Bushell aged 70, what is interesting is the name directley above his is William Lailey aged 50, can this be a relation to Isaac's wife Mary Lailey, perhaps her brother?

Pam
    Last edited by PDennis; 02-03-15, 23:57.

Comment

I would think that Thomas Bushell on the 1851 Census is Isaac's father ......

it says he was born in 1766, if true, he surely would be too young to have a child that would father a child in 1805

If true, then there is a marriage for Thomas Bushell in the England & Wales Marriages, 1538-1940, as found on ancestry, which seems to fit that information suggested by the Public Family Tree

Thomas Bushell married Hannah Sargood 18 Sep 1793 Beenham, Berkshire, England

There are two possible siblings for Isaac ...............

England & Wales Christening Records, 1530-1906

Thomas Bushell baptised 30 Aug 1795 Beenham, Berkshire, England Father: Thomas Bushel
      Mother: Hannah

and several Public Family Trees have a third child ..............

John Bushell b. 1797 Englefield, Berkshire
      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

I have found that Thomas and Hannah ( Sargood) had eight children from James in 1793 to Philip in 1813. There are twins Jecob and Joseph in 1804 and Charles in 1807 which just about leaves space for an Issac in 1805, but I have not been able to confirm him as a member of this family.

Comment

I have not previously seen the 1841 Census entry which could be of interest especially if no wife for Thomas is listed. Hannah Sargood died in 1831. I'll try another search.

Comment

Originally posted by Haylis View Post
            I have not previously seen the 1841 Census entry which could be of interest especially if no wife for Thomas is listed. Hannah Sargood died in 1831. I'll try another search.
            1841:http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...iv=1&ml_rpos=7

oops sorry misunderstood i'll have a look for thomas.
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

here is the 1841 census that Pam was talking about living in the same house as William lailey

Julie

Comment

The tree on Ancestry that you refer to may well be the same one as I have seen on Genes Reunited. I asked the originator of he had proof of Isaac's connection to this family but I never received a reply.

Comment

hmmn looking on Familysearch I noticed that Isaac and Mary baptised their children under the non-conformist category, have you checked the non-conformist registers for Bradfield, Berkshire to see if he is there?

Last edited by Darksecretz; 05-03-15, 14:23.
                  Julie

Comment

Thanks for the census link. The transcript does not include the name of William Lailey and looking at the original I think that he is the last named at the previous address so I think this is just a coincidence. Isaac's wife Mary was illegitimate and the daughter of a Hannah Lailey and Francis Lawrence.

Comment

Certainly the eldest two children ( Charles and Hannah) were baptised at the Primitive Methodist Chapel but I'm not sure about the remaining eight. I have undertaken searches at both the Berkshire Record Office and the nearby Family History Society in searching for Isaac's birth but without any success.

Comment

Thanks for the census link. The transcript does not include the name of William Lailey and looking at the original I think that he is the last named at the previous address so I think this is just a coincidence. Isaac's wife Mary was illegitimate and the daughter of a Hannah Lailey and Francis Lawrence.
                        looking at the original image, two // indicate end of household the other single / ones are just enumerators marks, so I still think that William was indeed in the same household as Thomas. So he still could be connected. :smilee:
                        Julie

Comment

Certainly the eldest two children ( Charles and Hannah) were baptised at the Primitive Methodist Chapel but I'm not sure about the remaining eight. I have undertaken searches at both the Berkshire Record Office and the nearby Family History Society in searching for Isaac's birth but without any success.
                          I have a relative too that I cannot find a baptism for, I know where he was born, who his parents and siblings were, when/where he married and even when he emigrated to Connecticut and started a business, he fought in the American civil war and eventually died in 1907, but I cannot find a baptism for him! I do know though he was born in October 1831 so that will have to suffice.
                          Julie

Comment

Working...
                          X