Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone up for a Hubbard hunt in Norfolk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone up for a Hubbard hunt in Norfolk?

Seeking info on my Norfolk ancestor Edward Hubbard before his 1844 marriage at Paston, Norfolk, to Elizabeth Kirk. (I have him in census returns 1851 at Mundesley & 1861- 1881 at Gimingham. He died 13 Jan 1882 at Gimingham, where he was buried 4 days later. I have full details of his wife's life and can track most of his children)
    In census 1851 -1871 he gives his birth details as Gimingham 1815,1815,1817 and in 1881 as Sidestrand 1816.

I have never found a baptism for him, nor a likely 1841 census record.

On the marriage cert, the name of Edward's father is recorded as John Hubbard, husbandman, but I do wonder if this was incorrect, as apart from having the forename John, I have never been able to link any potential Johns with any of the other known details about Edward.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Well, I've found a website with Gimingham baptisms on from 1813, but although your Edward isn't there, other Hubbards are :(

STG
    Last edited by SmallTownGirl; 02-03-15, 16:36.
    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Thank you for looking, STG.
      Indeed. There's the baptisms of some of his children, but nothing for MY Edward :( Nothing for him in Sidestrand PR either.

I've been looking for him for over 20 years. My theory is that he fits into this extended Gimingham family of Hubbards ( there was an earlier family with children baptised there in the 1780's) but some of the jigsaw pieces are still missing.

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Ah well, if you've been looking for over 20 years, it would have been a miracle if I'd found him at the first attempt, wouldn't it?

STG
        Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Lol, STG, I make no pretences that I'm infallible!
          You get so bogged down that after a while you can't see the wood for the trees.
          A fresh pair of eyes on a problem is always invaluable.

I do wonder if he was born posthumously & not baptised; if his mother remarried and he was brought up aka until his marriage in 1844; if he was orphaned and brought up by a relative named John ???????
          So aggravating that 1841 can't be search by precise pob.:(

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

sorry not found him either

Comment

there is a death in 1882 for an Edward Hubbard in Jan quarter in Erpingham is that him ? if so maybe I will look in Erpingham rather than Gimmingham

Comment

Val, thanks for looking for me.
                Gimingham is in Erpingham Reg Dist, hence the death registration recording Erpingham.
                The criminal record won't open for me, unfortunately. Does it give a date & place of abode?
                The Edward in the 1841 image is a bit on the young side; also Tharston is the "wrong" area of Norfolk, being a long way from Gimingham. My Edward married in Paston (bride's parents' parish) and shortly afterwards her parents moved a couple of miles to Mundesley, which is where the first two children of Edward & his wife were born. Gimingham & Mundesley are neighbouring parishes. I see there is also a Martha Hubbard with the Edward in that 1841 image - as yet, I haven't managed to find a family with both an Edward & a Martha for elimination/confirmation purposes.
                Looks like Edward will again be going back on the pending shelf:(

Jay
                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Capture.JPG just says 1 month for larceny

Comment

Thanks, Val

Jay
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I've got lots of Norfolk ancestry and have had a look everywhere I can think of...if you've been searching for 20 years then you may already have tried this on an off-chance - the NRO holds the following will:

CatalogueRef ANW, will register, 1802-1803, (1802) fo. 6, no. 6
                      Title Hubbard, Edward, of King's Lynn
                      Date 1802
                      Description Will.

It might be worth getting this...see if it names anybody you've come across already...

I know it's a long shot, but I tried this once in Norfolk and it paid off in a big way.

For what it's worth, I've got a very remote twiglet of Hubbards from Wicklewood & Yaxham in the early 1800s. Also a direct branch of Hubbards from Hingham in the 1620s.
                      Kind regards,
                      William
                      Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Comment

Thank you for looking and for your input, William.
                        I'll see what I can find out about Norfolk wills - I think it's the one area I haven't seriously investigated for Hubbard, so a helpful suggestion.

Unfortunately for me, it's a very common surname in Norfolk and so Hubbards pop up all over the county.

Jay
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

No worries Janet.

I assume that you know that FamilySearch has most (all?) of the Norfolk PR images freely available though not indexed. Used in conjunction with FreeREG it's a powerful mix.
                          Kind regards,
                          William
                          Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Comment

Originally posted by wulliam View Post
                            No worries Janet.

I assume that you know that FamilySearch has most (all?) of the Norfolk PR images freely available though not indexed. Used in conjunction with FreeREG it's a powerful mix.
                            Thank you William - yes we are very lucky that so much Norfolk transcription has been done.
                            I regularly check into this site too (Norfolk baptism project) http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....om/~tinstaafl/ as it covers the appropriate time frame for Edward's baptism.

Jay
                            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
                            X