No announcement yet.

Looking for information on David Porter born County Antrim, Ireland 1750-1755

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for information on David Porter born County Antrim, Ireland 1750-1755

I'm looking for any information relating to the family of David Porter b. County Antrim, Ireland sometime between 1750 and 1755. What little I've found is that he is the son of Samuel Porter and "unknown" Shaw. He migrated to United States in 1767 and died in South Carolina in 1780. Thanks for any information you can give me

Research in Ireland in the 1700s is notoriously difficult. Very few records exist. Often even if you know exactly where someone came from there’s little or nothing that came be done to confirm it due to this problem.

I looked at the 1901 census for Co. Antrim. There were 579 people named Porter, 6 of whom were David, 17 Samuel. Gives you an idea of how common the names were in this county. The vast majority were Presbyterian and Church of Ireland with just 19 RC. Those statistics reflect what you might expect given the location. Most of the Protestants will be descendants of Scots or English settlers who came to Ireland in the 1600s.

There’s a David Porter in Ballymoney in the 1766 religious census of Antrim, who was Church of Ireland, but I doubt that’s your David as he wouldn’t have been an adult at that time. No Samuel listed but of course he might have been dead by 1766.

If you know what precise denomination your ancestor was, I can point you in the direction of the few records that do still exist for that period for Co. Antrim.
    Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

This person could be part of the Porter family of my OH. I can't check till tomorrow. I'll let you know if I find anything.

Comment

Hi Elwyn,

Thank you for your information and offer of help. Unfortunately, I don't know the exact denomination, my best guess would be Presbyterian. I found information that says he had Scottish ancestors who fled Scotland because of religious persecution. He came to America in 1767 landing in New Castle, DE.

Again, I appreciate your information and assistance. I'm very new to searching my family tree. What I've found so far leads me directly to this David Porter who is possibly my 5 times Great Grandfather. Other family members have information going in a different direction so I'm trying to research that as well.

Comment

Hello GallowayLass,

Thank you. I appreciate any information you can give me.

Comment

Sorry but the Samuel Porter I have in my tree is much younger and from Co. Armagh. I've not been following Porters for a long time compared to other names I've got otherwise I'd have spotted the county was wrong in the first place. Best of luck in finding your link.

You mention other members of your family are going in other directions. In case it's any help, the oldest pair I have are Thomas Porter b.c.1762 place unknown died 1854 and his wife Chlerissa/Clarissa Simson b.c.1779 place unknown died 1872. They are both buried in Lower Seagoe parish, Co. Armagh. They had 10 children.

Comment

Working...
            X