Jenkyns family in USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jenkyns family in USA

My distant relative William Monkhouse Fothergill Jenkin, born in Montgomeryshire in 1874 emigrated to the USA in the 1890's.His brother Frederick also emigrated to the USA. They were involved in everything from ranching to gold mining. They owned the Salopia Mine in Nevada in the early 1930's.
    Both were married and both were divorced. Frederick died in 1968 which is well documented, however William's death poses an interesting question.
    'Find a Grave' shows a picture of a headstone for a W. M. F. Jenkyn, (the Jenkin brothers changed their surname spelling to Jenkyn fairly early on) with dates of 1874-1936. The location is Austin, Lander County, Nevada which is correct.
    Looking at the 1940 US Census return we find a William M.F. Jenkyn, born in Wales, of the correct age and alive and well in Austin, Lander, Nevada. He had an interesting life but reincarnation?

Death certificate for William Jenkyn says he actually died in 1946 (Bottom right). Father was Evan Alfred Jenkyn and mother Sarah Lloyd Jones. Hope this can confirm it for you.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3....1101,351154501

How strange that gravestone is 10 years out!
    Last edited by ozgirl; 27-02-15, 15:45.
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

FS has obits, but you'd have to get the film:
      Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

It's possible your family may have made it into the History of Nevada book printed in 1881. This site gives an email of someone who will do a look up:

Comment

Many thanks. The Death Cert is spot on re. parents names, date and place of birth etc. Problem solved. Why the headstone is wrong I have no idea.

Comment

Working...
        X