Divorce Records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Divorce Records

Re Divorce Records: it states that divorce records are on ancestry.co.uk - I have never yet seen one divorce. Where is a reliable place from which to get these records? Would Divorce papers from early 1950's be online anywhere? I am looking for a Lancashire/Brighton divorce - the man (living in Brighton) having been divorced "in absentia" by his wife living in Lancashire.

Would be grateful for advice please - may need to tread delicately here with regard to Lancashire Record Office, if that is the place I will have to approach, as relative of one of the parties works there!

Sue

The records on Ancestry are only for 1858 - 1911

I don't think there are any more recent records online anywhere. You can get copies of the decree absolute but its not cheap (£65?) and I'm not sure how much info that would give you. More details here

Jackie

Comment

The divorce records on Ancestry don't go as recent as the 1950s I don't think. When you do find one, though, it has everything I had to make a special journey to TNA to see!! Was a bit peeved to say the least although I had got to handle the actual papers at TNA. The divorce was from 1888, and no they were not a wealthy family, just a tenant farmer, and his wife who went on to live in poverty because she had run off with a gardener!

Anne
      Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 27-02-15, 11:25.

Comment

quite a few divorce petitions in the newspapers on FMP maybe look there to start

Comment

Ann, Jackie and Val,

Many thanks for that. Had a good look at TNA and the ancestry link and neither go beyond 1911.
          Newspaper is a good idea - I am being nosey really but it IS family and close!
          Both parties are deceased but the divorce did not take place until 1953 - the wife served papers on him but he did not respond and was "divorced in absentia" in 1953.

Might give the library in Accrington a go - they are quite helpful there (don't have fmp - can't use website since it changed although may give it a go also).

Many thanks, Sue

Comment

have pmd you

Comment

Working...
            X