Lincs to the Past

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lincs to the Past

Lincs to the Past: I understand this is a very useful website and I have seen Parish Records i.e. bmds on there before I joined and that is why I joined. Having just registered it tells me the parish records are at Lincoln archives! Am I having a senior moment?

Sue

try clicking on images on their website Sue, :smilee:
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Sue, you don't have to "join" to see the PR images. This is one of the most fantastic free resources on the internet (if you have Lincolnshire ancestors)

However it is slightly tedious to use. Patience is required.
      On their website click the Advanced Search tab at the top. Now in the Exact Phrase line enter the following .... name of parish par 1. So for example 'Spilsby par 1'
      Click search and a list will come up of what they hold. Not all the books have been digitised, no marriages after 1837 for example. Click on the book you want to look at and then scroll through the pages. Some books are large and you need to guess which page you might need to get started. That's why patience is required!

Alternatively the images are also available on FMP. I generally use Lincstothepast first because its easier to see which books are available.
      Good luck with your search.
      Anne
      Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 27-02-15, 12:19.

Comment

Oh Dear, How embarrassing - it worked!!! Thanks Julie.

Sue

Comment

Ann, Many thanks.
          You say patience is required - that of a Saint I think (and I ain't no Saint)! Actually what is bugging me is that on the page I am in there is a small screen (to adjust size it would appear) which is in the way of the somewhat larger screen - I am sure there must be a way of removing it but ....................

Sue

Comment

Yes, that little screen is a navigation screen and can seem to get in the way of the image. Have you tried grabbing and moving the little blue square which appears on it? That will navigate you around the page including the bits at the top left of the left hand page. Its handy if you have the page enlarged and you can see where you are on the page with it.
            Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Sue1 View Post
              Oh Dear, How embarrassing - it worked!!! Thanks Julie.

Sue
              nah, no such thing as a silly question, admittedly it isn't the easiest interface to use, but as Anne says it does pay to play about with it and get the results you want [can't moan really for free] :smilee:
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks Ann - that little blue square is proving to be incredibly helpful at reading the entries. I presume if what I want is not on here (I am looking for baptisms and deaths in Donington-in-Holland) I will have to go to Lincoln Archives - not such a problem as not only is it within reach but my husband has just waved by still valid readers card at me - valid until May.

I think I may enjoy this links to the past site once I get used to it (lots of unanswered questions in Lincs I think) and Julie, you are absolutely correct ................I can't really moan when it is free!!!!!!!!!:o

Sue
                Last edited by Sue1; 27-02-15, 13:53.

Comment

Great stuff! Hope this little discussion will help others who might want to use the site too.

Just remembered another tip. FamilySearch data for Lincolnshire is quite good so to save time you could make a search for your names in your parishes and then check them out with the actual images. I have only found a few mistakes on FamilySearch but I have found entries which are not on FamilySearch and of course there is often more information in the actual PR.

Anne
                  Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 27-02-15, 14:57.

Comment

Also, FreeReg has pretty good coverage for Lincolnshire, so that should also be used for anyone searching for parish records.

You can find will references on Lincs to the Past and also there are some inventories which you can view without paying.

FMP have the images of many Lincolnshire parish registers but they are not indexed properly and they don't appear to be in the same order as they appear on Lincs to the Past. I have found usable images there but often by painstaking trawling.
                    Elizabeth
                    Research Interests:
                    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Working...
                    X