Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Souter born abt 1728

A bit guidance please.

I am trying to find out where James Souter was born, he was born abt. 1728 and married Jane Durman a widow of Terwick in 1754.(Terwick Common, Treyford West Sussex)
    His occupation in 1754 was Maltster of Froxfied, I have been in touch with the Hampshire Records Office and unfortunately they can not find any records of a James Souter born in Hampshire abt. 1730 even with trying the various variants of Souter. The nearest match in spelling for a James Souter born abt. 1730 that I could find was at Beaksbourne, Kent. which is a good 100 miles away so I have my doubts about this .
    I have however found a James Sowter born 1728 at Heyshott West Sussex which is aprox. 8 miles from Terwick Common, Treyford. and also about 10 miles from Froxfield.
    Would you say that this is more of a match even though Souter is spelt Sowter.?

Looking forward to your replies.

Kind Regards

Tony Suter

I think your James Souter, is James Sowter born abt 17th May 1728 in Heyshott, Sussex - Father Nicolas Sowter and mother Ann.

There are only 9 various spellings of Souter on Ancestry and all but the above James are in the wrong place if he was born in Sussex.

Did he have a son called Leonard or Lonard (mispelt of course) if so, James' surname is also spelt Soutter.

Comment

Working...
    X