Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry vs FMP

Hi

I currently have subs to both of these and as Ancestry have just upped their monthly amount I was wondering whether to switch my searches to FMP. I have FMP primarily for the newspaper searches, but know they they have the census' and BMD records, but is their anything that either have that the other doesn't? I don't really use worldwide bits and pieces so im not fussed about that, just UK
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Ancestry seem to have more Parish Record images. Or maybe its just that most of my family is from West Yorkshire so the images have been incredibly helpful. I would suggest you check which website has images of which parishes and choose the one most useful to you. To be honest I couldn't do without either of them. Census searches may give better results on one site for one family and on the other website for other searches. I use them both all the time.

One thing I do regret this last year is being tempted by a special offer for The Genealogist website. I have NEVER found anything on there which I couldn't find on Ancestry or FMP, although, of course some searches are fruitless on all of them!
    Anne

Comment

It's getting more difficult now to decide, my subscription with Ancestry runs out next month and I can't make up my mind whether or not to stay with them, I might have to as I have their Family Tree Maker and don't know if I can transfer my tree on Ancestry to anyone else. The reason I'm thinking of changing is because now that they have lost some of their contracts with archivers, they don't show images on a lot of records anymore, the records just state that they have an index file, which is not helpful if you want to double check details. In the email I receive from Ancestry they don't seem to be bothered that the only way to check if the right record is to purchase it, this would cost an awful lot of money.

I was wondering about My Heritage and what they're like.

Pam

Comment

It's horses for courses as Anne says. I need both - what one has the other hasn't and where they have similar sets, often what you don't find on one site, you will find in the other. Their military records are different and one will add information to what you can get on the other

I have finally found an advantage to having The Genealogist - the tithe maps for Surrey. Images of wills are now available on Ancestry too - if you have lots of non-conformists then The Genealogist is very useful.
        Caroline
        Caroline's Family History Pages
        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Pam you could put it on Tribalpages or somewhere like that or better still have a google to see if anyone is selling the FTM with free access to Ancestry you can save a lot of money

Comment

Originally posted by PDennis View Post
            It's getting more difficult now to decide, my subscription with Ancestry runs out next month and I can't make up my mind whether or not to stay with them, I might have to as I have their Family Tree Maker and don't know if I can transfer my tree on Ancestry to anyone else.

Pam
            You will always be able to view your tree on Ancestry with or without a subscription. Without a sub you will still be able to see your tree and all the sources found through Ancestry but not be able to view the Ancestry images.
            You can download your tree from Ancestry to your computer > Tree pages > tree settings > Export tree - as a gedcom file. Then upload it to somewhere like Tribal Pages which is free. You can also make a gedcom file in FTM .
            Last edited by Katarzyna; 23-02-15, 12:58.
            Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

I do agree with Caroline. I also need both because I need Worldwide and army info and as Caroline says what one has got the other one has not so at present I will stick with both, Worldwide. Ancestry has all the Metropoiltan Archives which I need. I am not into Yorkshire so Ancestry does not help me with Parishes but FMP are better with Northants which is my county interest though not much on either as far as I am concerned parish wise. I find Free Reg and Free Wills online is as good for Northants as FMP so I suggest you look very carefully at what each offers to see which will be best for you, and it will be different for everybody, as we all want different counties/countries, etc. There is so much more information coming on to both that it is worth checking what your needs are as opposed to what each is offering.

Janet
              Last edited by Janet; 23-02-15, 13:19.

Comment

Keep an eye out for FMP bargains, which enable current members to extend their membership at a reduced rate, greater than the loyalty discount. Several of us have taken advantage of this; I am paid up until the end of September 2016.
                I tend to use FMP most of the time, but resort to Ancestry whenever I can't find someone in census. Ancestry West Yorkshire and LMA images are useful to my research, but so are the North & E Yorkshire images on FMP!
                I only have the basic Ancestry package, but search its indexes for references to the other collections (UK and Worldwide) which I can view with the library edition (full package)when I next need to drive to the local town.
                As half my research is my Norfolk roots, familysearch.org is invaluable because I am able to view images of most of the parish registers I need. This is free, as is Freereg, another site I use a lot.
                It really is about which "stand alone" resources you need in order to research YOUR tree - some people are lucky enough for one site to meet all their needs.

Jay
                Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thanks all. I think im going to stick with both for the time being. I downloaded my tree from Ancestry and put it onto FMP because I was hoping that I could save Newspaper images straight to a person but I cant and its the same process if I was to put it onto Ancestry
                  Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

Working...
                  X