Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A silly question, maybe:)

Hi
    does anyone know, if an Estate, quite a large one, house/Land etc is left to a wife for life...(daughters of the marriage already provided for in his Will) what happens to the 'Estate' house/land when the wife also dies. does it maybe go into a trust fund,? just really puzzled on this one.....many thanks if some one can help....;) or any suggestions....ps this is 1921

Lilly
    Last edited by Lilly the flower; 21-02-15, 21:57.

if you know when they died have a look here see if they left a will

Comment

The will would normally go on to specify what happened after the death of the wife. " .... and after the decease of my wife .... ". Does it say nothing? I bet that caused some headaches for the executors.

On the other hand, if it was left to the wife (not just for her lifetime) then the estate would be disposed of according to the terms of her own will.
      Anne
      Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 21-02-15, 22:29.

Comment

Thanks ladies, I guessed as much, I already have 'Sir's will in my outbox ready to buy haha, along with others, it just that I found part of the will on line, and it said all was left to wife for all of her life, so just jumping the gun I guess, wanting to know if there was any normal lines that it followed, as for the wife, can't find her death anywhere, still looking though....thanks for your ideas...Lilly
        Last edited by Lilly the flower; 21-02-15, 22:39.

Comment

Could she perhaps have married again Lilly?
          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

ah, a good question, I didn't think of that, she was 47 when her husband died, and a very rich widow and her daughters were married only a couple of years later.....off to try and check....

Comment

Probably irrelevant here, but my friend's mother was left her second husband's entire estate "for all of her natural life or until she remarries". When she died or remarried, the whole lot was to go to a charity.

I am sure the will will say what happens to the estate after her death. There is no formula, you can leave anything to anyone however you wish - that's the whole point of making a will!

OC

Comment

Thanks OC, all I know is this has opened a very large can of worms......its getting so deep is frightening me (only joking) but I must get the full Will asp now.......Lilly

Comment

Working...
                X