George Tann Baptism c 1807

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George Tann Baptism c 1807

I have been tracing the children of William Tann and Sophia; after having found a possible marriage in Norwich I went over their children and think I may have found another son.

The first baptism I found was for Emma born 1810 Highgate, Middlesex , then her sister Maria 1812. Two more children are born in Walthamstow and 3 more in Leyton.

A George Tann pops up as a marriage witness and I am sure his daughter is with William and Sophia 1841. He gives his birth as Leyton in all later census returns and I have all the parish records for the other children of William and Sophia but didn't find any others when looking at parish records some time ago. I was hoping someone might be able to find his baptism as I am not convinced I have the right marriage and I do believe there may be more siblings. William c1771 was a coachman, turnpike gate keeper and labourer born Bethnal Green, Sophia c1778 was from Walthamstow, family in Leyton from 1841, children as

Emma born 6 Jul 1810 Highgate dies 1846
    Maria born 13 Mar 1812.............................witness at marriage of Charles Tann, other witness George Tann
    Clara 1816 Walthamstow dies 1846
    Charles 1817
    Frederic 1819 Leyton dies 1839
    John 1819
    Caroline 1821

Believe this is George's daughter, marriage was to Elizabeth Sinfield

Name: Elizabeth
    Christening Date: 1828
    Christening Place: ST. MARYS, LEYTON, ESSEX, ENGLAND
    Father's Name: George Tann
    Mother's Name: Elizabeth

and other daughter

Name: Clara Tann
    Christening Date: 08 Apr 1832
    Christening Place: Leyton, Essex, England

Name: Clara Tann...BURIAL 1833
    Christening Date: 08 Apr 1832

Clara is the name in all generations but never Sophia
    I can only find George with Sarah in census returns and unsure whether Elizabeth had died as I can't find a marriage to Sarah

Census returns

1841 HO107/ 698/10 Folio: 9 Pg no. 11
    Kings Head Yard, St John Hackney, Hackney, Middlesex, England
    George Tann Male 30 1811
    Sarah Tann Female 30 1811
    Sarah Tann Female 4 1837 Middlesex, England
    Martha Tann Female 0 1841 Middlesex, England

1851 HO107/ 1505 Folio: 259 Pg 37
    Kingshead Yard, St Johns Hackney, Hackney, London
    George Tann 44 Assistant to Surveyor ? Br Leyton, Essex
    Sarah Tann 40
    Sarah Tann 13
    Martha Tann 10
    Emma Tann 9
    Marian Tann 6
    Martin Tann 3
    James Tann 11 Mo

1861 RG 9/ 154 Folio: 74 Pg 45
    14, Brunswick Grove, St Johns Hackney, Hackney, London
    George Tann Head Married 55 Gardener Leyton, Essex
    Sarah Tann Wife 50 Laundress Chippenham, Cambridgeshire
    Martin Tann Son 14 Scholar Clapton, Middlesex
    James Tann Son 11 Scholar Clapton, Middlesex
    Anne Tann Daughter 8 Scholar Clapton, Middlesex

1871 RG10; Piece: 327; Folio: 177; Page: 19
    George (Leyton) and daughter Anne in the workhouse

England & Wales, FreeBMD Death Index, 1837-1915
    Name: George Tann
    Estimated birth year: abt 1806
    Registration Year: 1880
    Registration Quarter: Jan-Feb-Mar
    Age at Death: 74
    Registration district: Hackney 1b/436

I was hoping someone could help with George's baptism, all the other siblings are consistent with their birthplace, so any help would be appreciated
    Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
    http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

I have only found 5 baptisms for a George Tann born 1806/1807. Discounting one double entry, 2 in Norfolk that leaves the following:-

George Tann, born 9th March 1807, Baptised/Christened 5th April 1807 St Lukes, Old Street, Finsbury, London. Parents Edward and Ann Tann.

George Tann, born 21st March 1806, Baptised/Christened according to the christening record on Ancestry 12th April 1807, why they waited a year to christen him I don't know. Parents Thomas and Charlotte Tann

George Tann, born (in this case christened) 1807 who's parents are the above Thomas and Charlotte Tann is in the 1841 census along with his siblings William b.1793, Jane b.1824, John b.1822 and Mary b.1820 living in St Matthew, Bethnal Green. Thomas, George and John at this time are all Smiths.

I don't know if any of these will be of help to you.

Comment

Thanks for looking PDennis

There's a pdf for them online, got a little bit of mine in the corner but have not found a connection with them, no labourers amongst them!

It's the Leyton connection that nearly seals the deal, lots of burials there too and my gut feeling is they are not connected to Norfolk
      Elaine

Comment

Do you not think that it is more likely that George was baptised in London as he would be one of their earlier children? If he was then brought up in Leyton as the other baps show maybe he assumed that he was born in Leyton.
        I have checked the Leyton parish records and he is not there. I checked back from Frederick's bap in 1819 to 1804.

Edit.
        It could be that he was a cousin?
        Last edited by Katarzyna; 21-02-15, 00:26.
        Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Originally posted by PDennis View Post
          I have only found 5 baptisms for a George Tann born 1806/1807. Discounting one double entry, 2 in Norfolk that leaves the following:-

George Tann, born 9th March 1807, Baptised/Christened 5th April 1807 St Lukes, Old Street, Finsbury, London. Parents Edward and Ann Tann.

George Tann, born 21st March 1806, Baptised/Christened according to the christening record on Ancestry 12th April 1807, why they waited a year to christen him I don't know. Parents Thomas and Charlotte Tann

George Tann, born (in this case christened) 1807 who's parents are the above Thomas and Charlotte Tann is in the 1841 census along with his siblings William b.1793, Jane b.1824, John b.1822 and Mary b.1820 living in St Matthew, Bethnal Green. Thomas, George and John at this time are all Smiths.

I don't know if any of these will be of help to you.
          Was just about to post the same info re baptisms and 1841 census, but you beat me to it, PD.

However I read the William Tann born 1793 as a possible brother of Thomas, the head of household and therefore uncle of this George Tann - he is just 6 years younger than Thomas so not a sibling of George.
          Unfortunately, as relationships and marital status are not recorded its just a guess on my part. However, if you have found William and Sophia together in 1841, this William is probably just a red herring.

Mind you, I'm already confused with all the various George Tanns....

Just a thought - I've been concentrating on baptisms around 1806/7 as per thread title but according to your tracking through the censuses, according to 1841, he was born circa 1811 - admittedly a very tight squeeze between the two daughters but just about possible??? Is this likely to be more accurate as possible DOB than the age recorded in later censuses?
          Last edited by Karamazov; 21-02-15, 00:32.
          Researching:
          HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post
            Just a thought - I've been concentrating on baptisms around 1806/7 as per thread title but according to your tracking through the censuses, according to 1841, he was born circa 1811 - admittedly a very tight squeeze between the two daughters but just about possible??? Is this likely to be more accurate as possible DOB than the age recorded in later censuses?
            The ages of adults were rounded down to the nearest 5 in the 1841 census so it would give him a birth date between 1807 and 1811. As all the other census were 1806/7 I would say an 1811 date would be unlikely.
            Last edited by Katarzyna; 21-02-15, 00:48.
            Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
              The ages of adults were rounded down to the nearest 5 in the 1841 census so it would give him a birth date between 1807 and 1811. As all the other census were 1806/7 I would say an 1811 date would be unlikely.
              I sort of half remembered about the rounding in 1841 but then thought I had "misremembered" which census that applied to as there is no rounding to 5 in the Thomas, Charlotte, et al 1841 image. So possibly not always applied consistently. However, having now looked at the George, Sarah 1841 image the rounding has been applied there...so agree that 1806/7 is still the more likely.
              Researching:
              HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Hi Kat

I thought the same as you re baptisms but as I am not sure of the marriage of his parents. I was actually kicking myself in case I had missed the baptism when I had the chance to look.
                Elaine

Comment

there is this, though not sure quite how it would fit in

Name: George Tanner
                  Birth Date: 11 Dec 1811
                  Christening Date: 19 Jan 1812
                  Age at Christening: 0
                  Father's name: George Tanner
                  Mother's name: Elizabeth

?
                  Julie
                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks for that one Julie

Here's 1841 and and father's baptism

Name: William Tann
                    Baptism/Christening Date: 09 May 1770
                    Baptism/Christening Place: SAINT MATTHEW,BETHNAL GREEN,LONDON,ENGLAND
                    Father's Name: William Tann
                    Mother's Name: Hannah

Parish Entry
                    William of William Tann weaver and Hannah ?1month

1841 Census of Lea Rd Leyton , Essex
                    HO107/ 323/ Folio: 48 Pg 12
                    William Tann age 70 labourer born out of county
                    Sophia Tann 50 born in county
                    Clara Tann 25 in county
                    Caroline Tann 20 in county
                    Frederick Tann 3 in county...Elizabeth Tann age 12 also
                    Last edited by Elaine; 21-02-15, 19:49.
                    Elaine

Comment

I think he is an 1806/7 man Karazamov, it got a bit confusing sorting the Tann marriages but

Edward Tann is part of the safe making family

1841 HO107; Piece: 693 Folio: 33; Page: 25;

Thomas and Charlotte are with Thomas, he later marries Patience Gollidge 1844 and his signature is different to the one I have for the 2 marriages.
                      Elaine

Comment

Working...
                      X