Army uniform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army uniform

Hello to all. Could anybody out there identify the uniform in the attached photograph please. Many thanks Hazelbus
    img130.jpg

have just uploaded this to Photobucket so that I can see it a little better, we tend not to use the paperclip attachment for pictures, as you are only allowed 6kb size pictures, and if your own images are stored externally it keeps our site server running effectively.

if you could Hazel make this photo a lot bigger by scanning it then using Photobucket and reposting then we might be able to help with a uniform. As you can see by my own reposting the image still isn't much better, we really need it scanning at a larger DPI then we can see the uniform and cap badge which will allow for identification.

How to Use Photobucket

Last edited by Darksecretz; 22-02-15, 10:58.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Re uniform

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
      have just uploaded this to Photobucket so that I can see it a little better, we tend not to use the paperclip attachment for pictures, as you are only allowed 6kb size pictures, and if your own images are stored externally it keeps our site server running effectively.

if you could Hazel make this photo a lot bigger by scanning it then using Photobucket and reposting then we might be able to help with a uniform. As you can see by my own reposting the image still isn't much better, we really need it scanning at a larger DPI then we can see the uniform and cap badge which will allow for identification.

How to Use Photobucket

Many thanks for all the information. I have done another scan and edited through photobucket so hope it is better now.
      Regards
      Hazel

Comment

just tinkering :smilee: [if you post the IMG code instead of the url code you post the image direct onto thread and it makes it easier to see]

Last edited by Darksecretz; 22-02-15, 11:00.

Comment

Hazel,

it looks to me as though he was a Grenadier Guard the cap badge has the 'fired Grenade' on it and his tunic buttons are all spaced equally [there also looks to be some sort of embellishment on the buttons though I can't quite see that but if you can zoom in on the original they should have the 'fired grenade' emblem on those too]

hope this helps somewhat :smilee:
          Julie

Comment

I don't suppose that you know what year this photo was taken??
            Julie

Comment

Hello and thanks for the information, but I was not sure as to the best way of inserting this photo. Dont know how to do the IMG code but did what I thought would be ok.

Comment

I would think it was between 1910 and 1915 ut not sure.

Comment

Thank you for that. That is very interesting as I havent been able to find any online photos of this uniform in the past. Basically I dont know who this person is in the photo but was a photo amongst my Grandmothers papers. There is my Grandmothers maiden name on the back of the photo and her address. So am still trying to find out if he was one of the family.

Comment

Originally posted by Hazelbus View Post
                    Hello and thanks for the information, but I was not sure as to the best way of inserting this photo. Dont know how to do the IMG code but did what I thought would be ok.
                    thats ok when you look in Photobucket you have a small box with 4 sets of code in them, its best to use the bottom one as that is the IMG [image] :smilee:

I did a bit of googling and did think that it might have been a GG uniform from WWI, you could try the great war forum and they might be more precise.

do let us know though if you go down this route and what results you get :smilee:
                    Last edited by Darksecretz; 23-02-15, 15:04.
                    Julie

Comment

Thank you for that. That is very interesting as I havent been able to find any online photos of this uniform in the past. Basically I dont know who this person is in the photo but was a photo amongst my Grandmothers papers. There is my Grandmothers maiden name on the back of the photo and her address. So am still trying to find out if he was one of the family.
                      I would think that IF there is that detail on the reverse then it is highly probable he is part of the family [otherwise why put those details on it?] :conf:

it looks like the name 'Bert' is on the picture which could be Albert or Herbert/Hubert/Bertram.

have you found your grandmother in the census at all? does that shed any light on it?
                      Julie

Comment

Yes there is detail on the reverse but still trying to work out the writing. I have found all the information re my Grandmother on ancestry. When I first saw the photo I wondered if it was her brother that was killed in WW1 but his name was Alfred, so obviously not him. The search goes on. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Yes there is detail on the reverse but still trying to work out the writing. I have found all the information re my Grandmother on ancestry. When I first saw the photo I wondered if it was her brother that was killed in WW1 but his name was Alfred, so obviously not him. The search goes on. Thanks for your help.
                          if you scan the reverse and put it on this thread then we can have a look at try and work it out with you
                          Julie

Comment

this site is interesting about uniforms

Comment

I thought it could have been a Fusiliers badge? But wrong uniform.
                              Last edited by TwigletNumber5; 28-02-15, 09:39.
                              Twiglet

Comment

Originally posted by TwigletNumber5 View Post
                                I thought it could have been a Fusiliers badge? But wrong uniform.
                                it does doesn't it Twiglet,

I was wondering also Hazel where in the country do you think that this picture was taken, it could make all the difference to the identification
                                Julie

Comment

Hi almost sure it would have been in Orpington in Kent.
                                  I have copied the back. Hope I have done it correctly.

35 Jubilee Road which is written on the back was in Orpington and was where my Great Grandparents lived and their surname was Knapp but wrongly spelt on the back of the card. Just seems to be written as Napp. I cant make out the word beginning with B.
                                  Last edited by Hazelbus; 01-03-15, 11:50. Reason: added content

Comment

Hope this helps, I still think the badge looks like the Fusiliers badge, it has an exploding grenade with a metal band/ribbon underneath that says either Fisuliers, Lancashire Fusiliers or whatever other area Fusiliers. If you google the Dress uniform of the Fusiliers, also Lancashire Fusiliers , then you get that dress uniform or Parade uniform. The tunic is red with white belt collar and cuffs.
                                    Twiglet

Comment

Working...
                                    X