FMP - are they introducing new "improvements?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FMP - are they introducing new "improvements?"

After watching TV for an hour, I've just returned and am now finding the site unusable. (Says they're aware of a technical error.) The former search facility seems to have disappeared - when I left, clicking on the "search" tab enabled me to see all the general headings, with special collections at the bottom. I don't see a quick link to the special collections any more?
    I wanted to look at the database of coverage of the parishes in the Yorkshire collection, but have no idea where to find this now.
    Also, there is a technical error preventing me from getting results of burials if I just enter the name of a parish. (This is for local history research, rather than family research.) It's a project I've working on for 3 days, so I know it's the site and not me.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

I've finally got into the burial register I needed, by taking a lengthier and more convoluted route than previously, but I can't find out how to access the lists giving parish coverage and years:(

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I went on their site a couple of nights ago, just searching for bits and pieces that I was looking for and as I'm not subscribed at the moment expected the subscription data page to come up but got the error message instead. I sent them an email about it and they replied this morning, apologising for the problem and said it had been fixed, that was at 10am, looks like one 'fix' may have caused another problem if your having trouble now, email them and tell them what happened or is happening if your still having problems.

Pam

Comment

Have been getting a look at census returns through IGI and connecting to FMP through the link, just found the new category search bar for FMP!

Just starting to work without error coming up now, was pulling my hair out
        Last edited by Elaine; 19-02-15, 21:18.
        Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
        http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

The new search bar doesn't have special collections now, as far as I can see. I realise that all these parish registers have been put in with the births etc, but I'm finding I have to do more clicking and it takes longer than it did this morning.
          My main moan is that I can't access the coverage of Yorkshire parishes. As only about a third of the parishes are included, it was so useful to do a quick look down the list to see if the neighbouring parish registers were on site.

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

they have changed the home page AGAIN and I dont like it :( wish they would leave things alone

Comment

I thought I was in Ancestry

Vera

Comment

LOL, Vera!

How can it have made things easier if you now have to go through a more complex process of adding filters?

Jay
                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

This morning, I keep getting different versions when I go into the site. Sometimes it's the front screen I'm familiar with, which allows me to click search > special collections > Yorkshire records and then select the specific one I want with a search box for me to fill in.

The alternative version takes me all round the houses and is a much lengthier process. I know they are doing their best to meet the demands of the more vocal, but not every researcher wants to start/work from a name. I am mentoring a small group of folks who are working on various local history projects and they are focusing on what happened in a particular place within certain time parameters e.g occupations, infant mortality, education, so what we need is quick access to a particular record set; the names of specific individuals are not of primary importance.

Jay
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Janet tell them that will you I am going to, I do hope their improvements unlike last time are for the better.

Comment

To find a records from a specific parish, I make liberal use of the optional keyword box(es).

You can narrow down then by date/name etc.

To only search a specific record set, you can find them in the A-Z.
                      Caroline
                      Caroline's Family History Pages
                      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                        Janet tell them that will you I am going to, I do hope their improvements unlike last time are for the better.
                        I sent them a message last night, Val - waiting to hear back from them.

Jay
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

its so slow again today anybody else having the same problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
                            To find a records from a specific parish, I make liberal use of the optional keyword box(es).

You can narrow down then by date/name etc.

To only search a specific record set, you can find them in the A-Z.
                            Thank you Caroline - I can find my way in, but by a much more long-winded process than before. (Takes more time and more clicking on different tabs and screens.)
                            There doesn't seem to be any quick way of accessing the parish lists, though. It used to be 4 quick clicks - the search tab at the top of the home page > special collections > Yorkshire records > select any one, scroll down, click on parishes. No entering any data, putting in filters, use of wildcards etc. The present route is more complicated and time consuming.

Jay
                            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                              Thank you Caroline - I can find my way in, but by a much more long-winded process than before. (Takes more time and more clicking on different tabs and screens.)
                              There doesn't seem to be any quick way of accessing the parish lists, though. It used to be 4 quick clicks - the search tab at the top of the home page > special collections > Yorkshire records > select any one, scroll down, click on parishes. No entering any data, putting in filters, use of wildcards etc. The present route is more complicated and time consuming.

Jay
                              I think in the process of loading up the new navigation bar, they forgot to keep those Article pages linked .. at least I hope they will be added back and not get discarded in the current process of trying to simplify it.
                              Caroline
                              Caroline's Family History Pages
                              Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Well, this afternoon has been fine - I'm back to a familiar (or revamped familiar) home page and have been able to scroll down and find all the categories I need without having to enter anything in any search boxes in order to proceed. I was able to choose parish registers and then use the A-Z box to insert Yorkshire, chose an event type and then access the parish list as before.
                                Yesterday evening and this morning, I kept on getting two very different formats of the home page. The "new look" one kept sending me round in a loop and the A-Z all records box never did appear.I got so frustrated as I had to keep quitting and going back into the site in the hope of getting the familiar set up.
                                No response to my e-mail though, although it did say my attempt to make contact was successful. Past experience has taught me "easy" queries get dealt with quickly; those requiring a bit more "software" knowledge often go unanswered and pursuit produces the response "we never had your message."

Jay
                                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
                                X