N Branch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N Branch

Looking at the new records on ancestry, Royal Navy Registers of Seamens Services, on the record there is a note

"Enrolment cancelled in accordance with instructions from N Branch".

Anyone got any idea what this is about?

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/60...3_1062_0-00358

This was during WWI
    Last edited by ozgirl; 19-02-15, 11:58.
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

N branch stands for Naval Branch - it dealt with personnel. Was he of German descent ?
    Rick

Comment

Thanks Rick

No his father was Swedish, but had been born in St Petersburg.
      Linda

Comment

He had been in the volunteer reserve (RNVR at top of form) and his discharge status says "shore until req'd" in Feb 1916. In May he joined the army...http://search.findmypast.co.uk/recor...hlights=%22%22

So maybe it's as simple as he wanted to see active service and swapped the RN for the army.
        Rick

Comment

Thanks Rick - I don't have FMP, so hadn't seen that he had joined the army. Do those records give any info on family?
          Linda

Comment

Yes - father Paul of 15 North Street, Eastbourne. Leon's dob Sept 1892, occupation electrician, service number 406931. It's a weird form and says it's RAF airmen's service records, but clearly says on the form that he is in the army.
            Rick

Comment

Aha - RAF was formed in 1918, so it's before that. The form says he was with the SARD, about which google says "1915 February. The Southern Aeroplane Repair Depot (SARD) was set up at Farnborough." He then transferred to 10 MT Rep Dep ??? No idea what that means.
              Rick

Comment

Okay - thanks, then he was in the very first bit of the RAF - interesting!
                Linda

Comment

MT Rep Dep could be Motor Transport Repair Depot - but it might be a bit early for that.
                  Last edited by Uncle John; 19-02-15, 14:29.
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

My uncle joined the Royal Flying Corps in 1917 and I believe was this was formed from both Army and Navy personnel. In 1918 it became the RAF.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

On April 1, 1918 the two air services namely the RFC and the RNAS were amalgamated to become the RAF.
                      Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Working...
                      X