Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else having problems accessing Ireland National Archives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else having problems accessing Ireland National Archives?

Since yesterday - via Safari I'm getting the message "Safari cannot open the page because the server cannot be found" and via Chrome "this webpage is not available" with further details:
    "The server at www.census.nationalarchives.ie can't be found, because the DNS lookup failed. DNS is the network service that translates a website's name to its Internet address. This error is most often caused by having no connection to the Internet or a misconfigured network. It can also be caused by an unresponsive DNS server or a firewall preventing Google Chrome from accessing the network."

Anyone else having the same problem?

Christine
    Last edited by Karamazov; 17-02-15, 09:38.
    Researching:
    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Not getting it with IE

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
      Not getting it with IE

Vera
      I couldn't access via IE either yesterday.
      Frustrating as I can't find anything in cyberspace flagging up that there is currently a problem with the site and they are working to resolve it...
      Researching:
      HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

I've accessed the site just now, and fingers crossed, the problem now seems to be fixed.

From Claire Santry's blog (my go-to girl for Irish genealogy news):
        The National Archives of Ireland is experiencing server problems. These seem to have started yesterday and are on-going, so access via the main website (www.nationalarchives.ie) and the dedicated Genealogy section (www.genealogy.nationalarchives.ie) is very hit and miss. I was able to access and search the census last night on the genealogy site, but this morning I can't get past the census 'home' page. The National Archives tell me they became aware of the problem yesterday when emails stopped getting through and were bouncing back to senders. The IT department is working to fix the problem. No time scale yet, but it is in hand.

Researching:

Comment

I wonder if they are busy uploading all the RC records that should be available FREE in August - having said that, it shouldn't affect their server!

Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Sue1 View Post
            I wonder if they are busy uploading all the RC records that should be available FREE in August - having said that, it shouldn't affect their server!

Sue
            That's a nice thought! I'm sure I've read somewhere that these might be online as early as May but I'm prepared to wait another few months if need be...
            Researching:

Comment

Where do we get old Newspapers online from for Ireland - please tell me it isn't the site that is having problems. Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Sue1 View Post
                Where do we get old Newspapers online from for Ireland - please tell me it isn't the site that is having problems. Sue
                If you have a worldwide or Ireland sub for Fndmypast, there are a good selection there.

Christine
                Researching:

Comment

For Irish newspapers, there's also the Irish News Archive.

Dublincat

Comment

Working...
                  X