Mille Perry needs a husband

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mille Perry needs a husband

Hi, just joined FTF and hoping that someone may be able to help me with a query I have with my family tree. My 4 x Grandmother Mille Perry birth 1792 in Waltham Abbey, Essex, had five children between 1812 and 1822 their father shown as Ephraim Heywood. The thing is the only marriage I can find for Mille to an Ephraim Heywood (widower) is in 1825 and that is the start of my dilemma. On a number of trees on Ancestry it has this Ephraim born in 1771 in Norfolk but that would make him 21 years older than Mille and also married to Maria Seymour Snow during the time Milles children were born. If this is the right Ephraim then he married Mille nine months after his wife died and then only lived for two more year, Her daughter Ephaimana Heywood my 3 x Grandmother is another story

So this is the earliest baptism:

Name: Ephraim Perry Heywood
    Birth Date: 15 May 1812
    Baptism Date: 10 Jun 1812
    Baptism Place: Saint Luke Old Street, Finsbury, London,England
    Father: Ephraim Heywood
    Mother: Milley
    FHL Film Number: 585440, 585441, 585442

This is your 3x-great-grandmother's baptism:

I read it almost as the couple not being married. It seems odd that her maiden name is given in with her Christian names, and I note that other children are "Perry Heywood" as their names.
    Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 16-02-15, 18:29.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

It wasn't unheard of for a young girl to marry a man old enough to be her father and bear him children, there's 4 records of the marriage on Ancestry, one of them states she was born in 1804, which made him even older than her by 7 years, we know that's wrong as her birth entry states 1792. It's more likely that he was having an affair with Mille, perhaps because the wife was incapacited in some way and when she died they were able to marry

According to the death entry, the first Mrs Heywood was 64 when she died and when he died Ephraim was only 57, so here we can see she was 7 years older than him and perhaps that's where Mille comes into the scenario, she may have worked for them at one point or he just met her somewhere and things progressed.

Comment

Tanks for looking, Mille occupation is shown as a monthly nurse so stretching the imagination maybe the first Mrs Heywood was an invalid and Mille was the nurse !!!

Comment

The 1812 baptism is my 3xgreat grandmothers brother she was born in 1815 but as you noticed they all say Perry Heywood

Comment

A monthly nurse is normally attendant on a woman who has just given birth but I suppose it is quite possible she did general nursing as well. Mrs Heywood may have been a chronic invalid.

I agree with Elizabeth, the juxtaposition of the two surnames on the baptism records almost always means the couple were not married to each other.

OC

Comment

Working...
            X