Kirkton & Porteous?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kirkton & Porteous?

I'm trying to work my back from my g'g'grandfather Alexander Kirktown/Kirkton. Let me say, I don't have an active Ancestry sub right now. I'll try to give FS links where I can.

Alexander KIRKTOWN died 11 Jan 1913, Holland, Ontario; AGE 83yrs 9mos ==> DOB 31 Mar 1829

He and his wife, Elizabeth Brockie Kirktown appear in various census in Ontario. There name changes from Kirkton to Kirktown.

Alexander KIRKTON married Elizabeth BROCKIE 10 Dec 1853 Marnoch, Banffshire, Scotland
    Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

--> first son, Alexander
    Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

--> their second son was born under Civil Reg: Born 14 Jan 1856, Aberchirder, Banffshire, Scotland.

I think that Alexander Sr is Servant, age 15 in Ordiquhill in the 1841 (age rounding?). He's listed with many other servants, and no other Kirktons.

The most likely baptism is the one in Nov 1928, with DOB 26 Oct 1828 in ORDIQUHILL,BANFF,SCOTLAND- the first one listed here:

So, my questions -
    1) Anyone see a more likely candidate? I've also checked Scotland's People, with same results, I think.
    2) Barring someone finding another candidate, do you think the DOBs are close enough?
    3) Accepting the Kirkton/Porteous baptism - does anyone see a marriage for this couple?
    4) I didn't find any other children of the Kirkton/Porteous couple. Alexander seems to be on his own in 1841. Anyone see the death of his parents? Or at least of Isobel?

Julip - aren't you the Porteous researcher? Have any clues about this couple?

Thanks!
    sarah

Hi Sarah - I think the 1841 census per FMP is very helpful at least as far as FMP has transcribed it:

Alexander is 12 with parents Alexander age 40 [a farmer] and Isabella age 38 with several elder siblings

They are at: Firniebrae, Ordiquihill, Banffshire, Scotland
    Last edited by Bertie; 15-02-15, 18:17.

Comment

Sorry - in 1841 Alexander is 2 (not 12). In 1851 the family is:

Alexander age 53 born Banff [farmer]
      Isobel age 49 born Banffshire

various children

Alexander age 12 born Ordiquhill

They are at: Culphin, Ordiquihill, Boyne, Banffshire, Scotland

Perhaps then this is NOT your family as Alexander / Isobel have an Alexander born some 10 years later
      Last edited by Bertie; 15-02-15, 18:27.

Comment

There's an Alexr KIRKTON age 12, Ag Lab, in 1841 born Banffshire at Sleeping Coft Belonging To Manse, Grange (Banff), Banffshire along with Adam Allan (head) age 25 and James Morris age 40 [both Ag Labs]

Comment

Hi, Bertie -
          Thanks for the info.
          There is an Alexander Kirkton who married Isabel Sharp (this is from memory, so I'm not certain). I'm pretty sure they're the ones in the 1851 census that you mentioned in #3 - I agree the boy is too young. I did wonder if Alexander's first wife died w/ childbirth, and Alexander managed to marry another woman who was also Isabel. Would they really name another child Alexander, if a child by the same name from a first marriage were still living?

I think I have the 1841 that you mention in #4.

Comment

There's also a Kerton and a Kirton in the 1851 census that are possible for Alexander born c.1828 (this is from memory again!)

Comment

In 1851 there's Alexander KIRTON at Broadland Farm Kitchen, Cairnie, Strathbogie, Aberdeenshire, Scotland. He is a Farm Servant age 21 born Grange Banffshire

Had your Alexander left by 1861?

Comment

While there are PRs on familysearch for Grange Banffshire can find no KIRKTONs or variants (st least for the moment)

Comment

Someone kindly did a look up, and found this information about the 1828 birth:
                  Alexander , son of Alexander Kirkton ,grieve of Park, and Isobel Porteous ,servant there, an illegitimate child b 26th Oct 1828,bap.2nd Nov 1828. Witnesses Charles Taylor and James Donaldson

and I looked up Grieve - Farm overseer, head worker on a farm

Are there Bastardy laws in Scotland? Would records still exist?

And back to the parents of young Alexander: I wonder if the father had this relationship with the mother, but never married her. Son Alexander and his Mom were left to struggle, and Dad married one of the other Isabels (Still or Sharp) - which might explain why there's another Alexander born to an Alexander/Isobel couple.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Comment

Hi Sarah - do you have more information about where (i.e. which parish) Alexander was baptised?

Comment

Here is the baptism:

Christening Date: 02 Nov 1828
                      Christening Place: ORDIQUHILL,BANFF,SCOTLAND
                      Birth Date: 26 Oct 1828
                      Father's Name: Alexander Kirkton
                      Mother's Name: Isobel Porteous
                      Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11163-4 , System Origin: Scotland-ODM , GS Film number: 990990

Comment

Hi, Bertie -
                        She didn't specify, but I assume it was this record that's indexed on familysearch:

which took place at Christening Place: ORDIQUHILL,BANFF,SCOTLAND

Comment

Qucik recap on timeline:

Alexander born to Alexander KIRKTON and Isobel PORTEOUS 02 Nov 1828 Ordiquhill, Banffshire

Alexander KIRKTON married Isobel SHARP 12 Jun 1829 Orduquhill

Isobel born to Alexander KIRKTON and Isobel SHARP 07 Dec 1829 Ordiquhill

While not impossible, it would seem a quick second birth so conclusion is that there were two Isobels: if so, this does leave the door open to there being 2 Alexanders of course

Any idea what happened to Isobel PORTEOUS?

Re bastardy laws this (on Scotlandspeople) might help http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/co...index.aspx?578

Comment

BTW I think "of Park" refers to Castle of Park / Park House in Ordiquhill

Comment

My Alexander Kirktons:
                              1) Alexander KIRKTON (1854-1937). Born 15 Feb 1854, Aberchirder, Banffshire, Scotland. Died 5 Mar 1937, Greenock, Bruce, Ontario, Canada.
                              2) Alexander KIRKTON (1826?-1913). Born 1826 (app), Scotland. Died 11 Jan 1913, Holland, Grey County, Ontario

1) - reasonably certain of his dates: have his DC; have the marriage record (Canadian CivReg, and baptismal (Scotland, pre CivReg).
                              2) - Have his DC, which only gives his age (83y 9m); have marriage record (Scotland, Church record); Canadian census; age, dob calculations fluctuate.

So, have I selected the correct Scottish baptism for the AK who died in Ontario in 1913 (i.e., the 1828 baptism?)

Comment

If AK death in 1913 was accurate about his age, then suggests birth in April 1829.
                                If I have the right Canada Census record for 1911 it states his birth as Sep 1828 Scotland.
                                Birth date per baptism is 28 Oct 1828

Are there any other dates you have from other records that might help?

Comment

On my father's side, I have an uncle whose age shifts over the census years by some ten years. His mother died when he was age two. Even tho he was baptized, even tho he was born at the dawn of Irish CivReg, I really don't think he knew his birth date. It's even different on his gravestone vs his DC.

I wonder if Alexander (born c.1828) had a similar problem - was he shifted about, and no one really celebrated his birthday with him?

My Ancestry Sub is not active. I did save the 1871 census for them - it's so bad, I can't find/read an age for him.

The top returns are all his, plus the 1911 that you found.

Please note that his DC's DOD is not 1910 (as reported on FS) - his was the first death in January in the that registration book, and it appears that the registrar originally wrote a 2 (the previous year was 1912), then wrote over it with a 3, making it appear a 0. Attached - his is the date on the farthest right.
                                  temp.jpg

The marriage record gives no ages.

gravestone - wrong year of death:

And that's about all I have!
                                  Last edited by PhotoFamily; 19-02-15, 17:29.

Comment

Reviving this old thread.

So the Kirk Session records has 2 references to the illegitimate birth of Alexander Kirkton, s/o Isobel Porteous and Alexander Kirkton, both servants at the Grange.

And there is a later entry for Alexander Kirkton and Isobel Sharp, who also had a child they named Alexander Kirkton. The entry indicates that the couple had antenuptial, uh, relations.

Is there anything that would help me identify Isobel Porteous' whereabouts subsequent to the birth, or what happened to her child?

Comment

Working...
                                    X