Trying to find Rebecca

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to find Rebecca

I have asked for help with this a couple of years ago, but hoping some fresh eyes may help me find my 3x Great Grandmother.

Rebecca Lockton (nee Ward) was born 1867 Grantham Lincolnshire. I have found her birth, marriage and deathand also on the 1871, 1881 & 1891 census records. But I can't find her on the 1901. Rebecca died 1906 in Sculcoates Yorkshire but the last known whereabouts for her I have is in 1897. I would love to know where Rebecca was in the years between 1897 & her death in 1906.

Here is the info I have for her:

Born 1867 Grantham Lincs, parents Thomas and Sarah Ward
    1871 & 1881 census living in Grantham
    1890 daughter Emma was born in Sheffield Yorkshire
    1891 census Rebecca and Emma are living in Grantham with Rebecca's sister.
    October 1891 Emma was baptised in Mexborough Yorkshire
    October 1892 Rebecca is living at Boundary street Lincs (newspaper report)
    1893 daughter Eva is born in Grantham
    Jan 1895 Rebecca is living at Naylors Row Lincs (newspaper)
    Sept 1895 has a son with George Pepper in Grimsby Lincs
    July 1896 has daughter Rose Pepper in Grimsby Lincs
    1897 living Waterside south lincs (newspaper)
    1906 death Sculcoates Yorkshire

Emma and Eva lived with other family and George and Rose Pepper both died the year they was born. The pepper childrens father was George Pepper but I have no other information about him.

Any help would truly be appreciated.

Kelly

saw the newspaper records but cannot find her anywhere yet sorry, will try again later if nobody else has

Comment

Hi Val,

Thank you for looking. I was hoping that she had another child with George Pepper and trying to find her with the child, but it looks like she only had the two children with George.

Comment

have you got any childrens certs with George on them? if so does it give an occupation

Comment

Hi Val,

No, I only have baptism information. On the baptism records it states that George Pepper is a labourer and their address is given as bk King Edward Street Grimsby.

Comment

not found a thing wonder if they were in a workhouse? sorry really wish I had.

Comment

Hi Val,

Thank you for your help, it is truly appreciated.

The workhouse is definitely a possibility. Just wish there were some more newspaper reports to give me a clue.

Comment

I tried looking in the papers for her under Ward and Pepper too also George , I did find a death for a George Pepper born 1852 died 1896 in Sculcoates wondered if that was him

Comment

There is another pepper family in Grimsby during the 1890's. John and Martha Pepper, John had a brother called George born 1865 Lincoln. Without having any more info it's hard to know which George Pepper he actually was.

Comment

did Rebecca maybe have a middle name ? she could be using that

Comment

No, she didn't have a middle name.

Comment

Wonder if she was living in an area where the census didn't survive - can't remember where they're listed.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

She could be, all the information I have for her so far is for her living in Lincolnshire or Yorkshire.

Comment

Only the village of Deal in Kent is missing in its entirety from the 1901 census.
                            Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Thank you Kat, I think Rebecca was probably somewhere in Lincs or Yorkshire.

Comment

I had a real good look and could not find anything at all, maybe because she had been in prison she called herself by a different name as she was embarassed?

Comment

on who's bap does it say Kind Edward Street Grimsby

Comment

just a little thing but in 1891 she says born Sheffield Yorkshire ?

Comment

Hi Val,

On George and Rose Pepper's baptism it states King Edward Street. George was born 1895 & Rose 1896. Rebecca was actually born in Grantham, her daughter Emma was born in Sheffield. I think someone was mistaken on the 1891. I know from a newspaper report in 1897 that she was calling herself "Mrs Pepper". After being sent to prison, later that same year she was stil in Lincs and back to her name as Lockton, because she was a witness for a William Brown.
                                      Last edited by Kelly; 15-02-15, 16:20.

Comment

There is a Rebecca Lockton (mispelt as Tockson) in the 1901 census living in Grantham with her daughter in law Mary Windus and Mary's children, perhaps this is your Rebecca?
                                        Last edited by PDennis; 15-02-15, 16:28.

Comment

Working...
                                        X