late baptism?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• late baptism?

my ancestor was robert crew, died 1829 at hawkesbury. burial records his age as 60, born c.1769. he was married in 1795 at kingswood to anne clark. the marriage lists them both of kingswood, though anne was born at didmarton (neighbouring parish, but daughter of hers has an unusual name, which is anne's mother's). all the kids were born at hawkesbury.

there is a birth in hawkesbury for a robert crew, son of mark crew and mary dewey married 1755 at kingswood. only problem the birth is 1780, not 1769. the christening does not record anything other names and the date.

could this be my robert crew? late baptism?

You have me slightly confused here!

You state the birth was 1780, was this from the baptism register, was the DoB also given as some are or did you mean the baptism was 1780?
    Are we to assume the date 1769 was worked out from the burial register?

If the answer to both questions is yes then you have three options.
    1) It was a late baptism as you suggest.
    2) The age stated at burial was wrong.
    3) You have two different men.

I would suggest the age at burial was wrong and you have the correct man, but would look for other data to back up the supposition.
    Cheers
    Guy
    Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

thank you guy. yes the age at burial gives a birth estimate as 1769, but the only christening is for 1780. there is quite a gap between this christening and the previous one.

Comment

it's just really odd. i believe it's a late baptism as the previous child born to mark and mary crew was christened in 1769, then robert, their last 11 years later. all the previous children were of regular intervals. at the same time if he was born around 1769, why was he not christened, and why was there no note in the register?

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
          it's just really odd. i believe it's a late baptism as the previous child born to mark and mary crew was christened in 1769, then robert, their last 11 years later. all the previous children were of regular intervals. at the same time if he was born around 1769, why was he not christened, and why was there no note in the register?
          The previous child was baptised the same year as the year you are assuming Robert was born 1769, are you sure?
          What is the spacing of the other children does it fit the assumption Robert could be born in 1769?

It is not uncommon for a large gap between the last child of a family and the previous child. In my wife's family there is a 13 year gap whereas the common gap between siblings in that family was 2 years.
          In my family all my siblings were Christened, I was not.

I would suggest you need to do more research as Robert's age at marriage would be 15 if the 1780 birth was correct which though legal was young for those days.
          In addition I would you re-check your existing research in case an error has been made somewhere.

Are there any more baptisms in Hawkesbury for children of Mark Crew and Mary Dewey?
          Is there any indication that Mark Crew and Mary Dewey moved to Hawkesbury, if so when did they move?
          Was it around 1780 which could account for a late baptism for Robert.

Cheers
          Guy
          Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Working...
          X