How do you find the correct person

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you find the correct person

I have been looking for a William Pike borne 1764. I find his marriage in 1792 and again on the 1841 census. I am trying to find his birth record but have found 7 William Pikes borne that year. The later records seem to show he lived in the Pewsey area of Wiltshire.
    As 3 birth records show as Devon, 2 as London then 1 for Berkshire and 1 for Hampshire I have assumed that, at that time, it is more likely that the birth was close to the part of Wiltshire in which he later lived. That would be the Berkshire (Hungerford) and Hampshire (Tangly) births. But how do I find which is the correct William?
    Ian

Is his father's name mentioned at his marriage? What is the name of his first son as that often (but not always!) is the name of his father.

Of course, his baptism may not be any of those you have found. Not everything is on line and not all records survive.

In a case like this I try to do mini trees for all the candidates I have. If you can marry off/kill off a few, that will help narrow the field.

OC

Comment

Was he possibly in the army and maybe baptised to an army person in Wiltshire. Wiltshire Militia was very active during the Napoleonic Wars so you could try a google for that.

Janet
      Last edited by Janet; 12-02-15, 14:29.

Comment

Working...
      X