Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for some help from someone more experienced...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for some help from someone more experienced...

My name is Reece and I have just begun my pursuit of ancestry... or something to that effect. I would love to be able to trace my heritage as far back as possible, and would love the opportunity to have such a fascinating and personal project. The problems that face me though all come down to a lack of knowledge, and a lack of means to get said knowledge.

I only have basic information about my now detatched family, but I have contact with an estranged aunt from my long disowned fathers side of the family. If anyone could help me with this project, I'd be super super grateful. This will probably turn into a long term thing, but I would really appreciate any help that could be given. Ill list what I know:
    My Details (Naturally)
    Sisters full name, and exact birthday
    Half Brothers full name, rough date and exact month and year of birth
    Mothers rough year and exact month of birth, full name (inc middle)
    Fathers name
    Grandmothers Married and maiden name, rough date, exact month and year of birth, year and month of death
    Grandfathers full name, rough year and date, exact month of birth
    Great Grandmothers mothers first name and maiden name, very rough year of death,

Again, Thank you so much
    Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 11-02-15, 21:23.

Originally posted by Reece Morris View Post
    My name is Reece and I have just begun my pursuit of ancestry... or something to that effect. I would love to be able to trace my heritage as far back as possible, and would love the opportunity to have such a fascinating and personal project. The problems that face me though all come down to a lack of knowledge, and a lack of means to get said knowledge.

I only have basic information about my now detatched family, but I have contact with an estranged aunt from my long disowned fathers side of the family. If anyone could help me with this project, I'd be super super grateful. This will probably turn into a long term thing, but I would really appreciate any help that could be given. Ill list what I know:
    My Details (Naturally)
    Sisters full name, and exact birthday
    Half Brothers full name, rough date and exact month and year of birth
    Mothers rough year and exact month of birth, full name (inc middle)
    Fathers name
    Grandmothers Married and maiden name, rough date, exact month and year of birth, year and month of death
    Grandfathers full name, rough year and date, exact month of birth
    Great Grandmothers mothers first name and maiden name, very rough year of death,

Again, Thank you so much
    Welcome to the forum. What we do on here is help each other by posing questions. If you want to get started in genealogy have a look at our Reference Pages and here in particular http://www.familytreeforum.com/conte...etting-Started to help you make a start.

We only allow the names of deceased people in posts so for others you will need to send details by private message through the site to anyone who offers to help.

You might find it better to attend a genealogy class in person rather than try to learn on line and it will cost some money as you have to at least pay for certificates to prove the lines you are researching. Other information may be obtained free through your local library who may have a subscription to Ancestry.co.uk who hold many of the records you will need to search for ancestors.

You will also need a software package to record your research results in and there are some free ones available.

The forum mainly helps by answering specific questions as we are essentially a self-help group.

Margaret

Comment

Hello Reece, and welcome.

I would also stress the importance of buying birth and marriage certificates (from the official Government site £9.25 or local registrars £10.00) as many of us have had experience of making an assumption early on and finding out later that we've been following a complete stranger with a similar name!

Comment

Welcome to FTF Reece,
        Some local Libraries have a Family History Group running one day a week or month with willing helpers so try there if you can.
        You may have a local U3A Group in your area which may run a Family History Group within its group activities, they are all over the Country I am a member of my own local Group.
        Maybe you are looking to make contact with long lost living family members and sometimes Facebook or Twitter or such places can be a way of making contact but that can have its risks.
        Some libraries have subscription sites like Ancestry where you can use their computers and Ancestry to look for information but you will probably need help to use it at first.
        Good Luck with your research and hope you can get the information you require

Edna

Edit Sorry I have just discovered that you live in Sweden so all the above information is not helpful, so maybe anyone who can help can send you a personal message
        Last edited by clematised; 17-12-14, 21:42.

Comment

Originally posted by clematised View Post
          Welcome to FTF Reece,
          Some local Libraries have a Family History Group running one day a week or month with willing helpers so try there if you can.
          You may have a local U3A Group in your area which may run a Family History Group within its group activities, they are all over the Country I am a member of my own local Group.
          Maybe you are looking to make contact with long lost living family members and sometimes Facebook or Twitter or such places can be a way of making contact but that can have its risks.
          Some libraries have subscription sites like Ancestry where you can use their computers and Ancestry to look for information but you will probably need help to use it at first.
          Good Luck with your research and hope you can get the information you require

Edna

Edit Sorry I have just discovered that you live in Sweden so all the above information is not helpful, so maybe anyone who can help can send you a personal message
          Perhaps there's a Latter Day Saints Family History Centre within reach where he can go to for personal help and find out if there's a group he can join to learn what to do and how to access records.

Margaret

Comment

Hi, Reece, & welcome to FTF -
            Just read your intro note.

Many of the resources you need for the most basic & recent research are available online, or need to be ordered from the GRO (i.e., Birth, Marriage & Death certs). Certs are the best way to solidly build a tree, but there's a price for each one.

You can get two weeks of membership for free at Ancestry.com (I think the offer is still active) - be sure to cancel before the two weeks are up. You can still access your tree structure after the sub expires, but you may not see the documents that you saved to the tree.

As you build a tree (whatever application you use!), let us know when you run into a brick wall - we'd be happy to help!

happy hunting
            sarah

Comment

Thankyou guys!

My information well is running a little dry at the moment, as I have managed to (with the help of my estranged aunt) trace it back to my grandmother (1940s) from my fathers side. What sort of resources could I look at in order to further this?

Thankyou!

Comment

Your grandmother's birth certificate would tell you a great deal of information including her parents' names, mother's maiden name and father's occupation.
                Betty

Comment

All I would say is to check every step with certificates even your own birth certificate. There could be surprises you didn't know about, hidden secrets no-one mentioned. Don't assume anything - I thought I could leave getting a marriage certificate until later as I thought I knew what would be on it. Unfortunately when I finally did get it proved I had followed the wrong family with same name. I'd travelled to records offices, got parish records, certificates for loads of people only for them now to lie in a file waiting to find someone researching the other family.

Family stories can be a good source of information but they can also lead you on a wild goose chase so these have to be checked too.

Good Luck
                  Last edited by JBee; 21-12-14, 23:35.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

freebmd.org.uk is a free index to certs in the UK. To retrieve your parents' and grandparents certs, find them in the index, then order online

Alternatively, if you can find baptisms/marriages/burials in parish records... but the online registers are earlier than 1940, I think.

Ancestry.com makes it pretty easy for beginners to build family trees.

Comment

Reece, I've sent you a pm (check your notifications at the top right of this page).

scuda
                      Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Reece

As your grandmother is deceased, maybe you would like to put her information on here and we will see if we can find her birth. That will help you go back another generation with confidence.

OC

Comment

Yes, I agree with OC. Her death record will give her date of birth
                          Betty

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                            Reece

As your grandmother is deceased, maybe you would like to put her information on here and we will see if we can find her birth. That will help you go back another generation with confidence.

OC
                            Hi, that's a great idea!

The birth is +/- 1 year.

Gillian (Roberts) Morris: (Date of Birth: December, 1951 (?) Date of Death: 25th May 2011, aged 59)
                            Mother: Joyce Roberts

My information is lacking at the moment, but hopefully it will start to perk up

Comment

There are 3 between 1945 and 1955 .You didn't say where she might have been born.

Births
                              Dec 1948
                              Morris Gillian S J Roberts Birmingham 9c 739

Sep 1952
                              MORRIS Gillian ROBERTS Wrexham 8a 470

Mar 1955
                              MORRIS Gillian ROBERTS Aled 8a 351

Sept Quarter would be July - Sept
                              Last edited by Katarzyna; 22-12-14, 17:46.
                              Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

What was her married name? Perhaps we can find her death to check birth date.
                                Last edited by Katarzyna; 22-12-14, 17:59.
                                Kat

Comment

This could be her mother's marriage. Do you know her husband's name?

Jul-Sept Qtr 1940

Morris Alexander F - Roberts - Birmingham - 6d 1671
                                  Roberts Joyce V.- Morris - Birmingham -6d 1671

edit: This could be the marriage for the Birmingham birth in post #15. Can't see Marriage for the Wrexham one at the moment. Perhaps they moved about a bit.
                                  Last edited by Katarzyna; 22-12-14, 18:12.
                                  Kat

Comment

Dec 1839

Morris Herbert W to Warren-Roberts Fylde 8e 1982
                                    Roberts Joyce M W to Morris Fylde 8e 1982
                                    Warren-Roberts Joyce M to Morris Fylde 8e 1982

Fylde is Lancashire.
                                    Looks like they weren't sure if Warren was part of the surname or a middle name
                                    Last edited by Katarzyna; 22-12-14, 18:24.
                                    Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Reece Morris View Post
                                      Hi, that's a great idea!

The birth is +/- 1 year.

Gillian (Roberts) Morris: (Date of Birth: December, 1951 (?) Date of Death: 25th May 2011, aged 59)
                                      Mother: Joyce Roberts

My information is lacking at the moment, but hopefully it will start to perk up
                                      Just having second thoughts on all this .

Was Gillian born Gillian Roberts or Gillian Morris?
                                      I have read it that she was born Gillian Morris and her Mother's maiden name was Roberts but you could read it that Morris was Gillian's Married name and her mother was Either Joyce Roberts (married name) or Joyce Roberts a single woman. Best clear this up before I get anymore confused!!!
                                      Last edited by Katarzyna; 22-12-14, 18:33.
                                      Kat

Comment

Name Change Records?

I am looking at Marriage Records for my grandparents, and I have found one. The details are ALL correct, right down to the middle names, except that my grandmothers name is spelled Jillian, rather than the one on her gravestone, Gillian. Is it possible that she could have just chosen to use a G instead of a J and nobody thought to check? Or would there be a record online somewhere of a change? Perhaps she could have changed it when she took my grandfathers surname?

Any help would be insanely helpful!

Comment

Working...
                                        X