Hazel CROSS: b ca 1914, Tennessee ~ puzzle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hazel CROSS: b ca 1914, Tennessee ~ puzzle

In researching my paternal grandfather, and following the life of someone with the same name and a good match for (at least some of) his history, I have come across the images of the marriage records for
    m 3 Jul 1937, Cocke County, TN; Leonard Keith BENNETT, age "34", Royal Oak, MI; to Hazel CROSS, 23; Johnson City, TN.
    In the 1940 census, she appears to be this person:
    ED 90-24 img 10/32: Hazel CROSS, 26, single, b TN, beautician in beauty parlour $75 earned y/e Dec 1939; 217 East Holston Ave, Johnson City, Washington Cty, TN. (with parents)
    The marriage above is intriguing because I have also seen this record:
    m 25 Nov 1937 {different bride's name} age "19" [M-Lic; M-Book; M-Bond] d/o {bride's father's name} [M-Bond & M-Book], Sullivan County, Tenn, Leonard Keith BENNETT, "34" [LKB-nat125425; M-Lic, M-Bond & M-Book]
    Can anyone suggest how I could find out quite how/why the first recorded marriage doesn't seem to have "taken"? ... the groom married again within five months, and the first bride was apparently single and living with her parents in 1940. I have found her with her family in 1920 and 1930.

The second of the two marriages ended in separation in 1949 and divorce in 1952. That wife was still alive in 2011. LKB's age in 1937 was not 34: even using his "official" age, he was 44. (Note that his Naturalization docs in 1939, which led me to the later marriage, give DoB 6 Mar 1893, and the 1942 "Old Man's Draft" image gives age 49, and also quotes his wife's name as contact. In combination, these confirm my assessment.)

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

I have no idea Christine.. Annulment? do records exist?
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I'm not familiar with the procedures carried out with USA marriages. Are they registered at a court house? If so. is it possible to contact the court and see if there is any additional paperwork? Is the image for a licence to marry, which may not have been followed through? What procedures are needed for an annulment of a marriage and would a paper trail be left?

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

The record is a Marriage License (USA spelling!) but it includes a section which gives the date of the actual marriage which was based on the license - and that has been filled in and dated.

I suspect it's time for another enquiry at the court!

Thank you for your thoughts. Annulment seems the only legal option... mind you, I'm not convinced that the second marriage was legal for a different reason.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

What is the time difference in the two dates? Perhaps in some cases the proposed marriage venue and date details were filled in at the same time i.e in advance of the marriage ceremony?

Whilst browsing through a parish marriage register (seaside town in the 1950's) I came across such an entry: completed in advance with all details, just awaiting the signatures of the two parties & witnesses & vicar. It was crossed through with two diagonal lines and the words "This marriage did not take place, groom cleared off to sea" and signed by the vicar. (A failed shotgun wedding or cold feet, perhaps??)

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Hi, Christine -
            Marriage records are usually the responsibility of the County Clerk. You might try contacting the County Clerk for the County & State in question. S/he may be able to tell you if there was a procedure for annulment.

Divorces are not as easy to find, and perhaps the County Clerk could tell you more about the procedure for that state - e.g., is there a county or state-wide index to divorces? Here's what familysearch's wiki has to say about them:

Which includes this statement:
            "The Tennessee State Library and Archives has a state-wide divorce index for July 1, 1945 - December 31, 1959. See their website for instructions to order divorce records prior to 1960" - and it gives the link.

Might be interesting to have that 1952 divorce, too.
            Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
              What is the time difference in the two dates? Perhaps in some cases the proposed marriage venue and date details were filled in at the same time i.e in advance of the marriage ceremony?

Whilst browsing through a parish marriage register (seaside town in the 1950's) I came across such an entry: completed in advance with all details, just awaiting the signatures of the two parties & witnesses & vicar. It was crossed through with two diagonal lines and the words "This marriage did not take place, groom cleared off to sea" and signed by the vicar. (A failed shotgun wedding or cold feet, perhaps??)

Jay
              The time difference is a couple of days. This is the "cover", which I hope you can interpret:
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                Hi, Christine -
                Marriage records are usually the responsibility of the County Clerk. You might try contacting the County Clerk for the County & State in question. S/he may be able to tell you if there was a procedure for annulment.

Divorces are not as easy to find, and perhaps the County Clerk could tell you more about the procedure for that state - e.g., is there a county or state-wide index to divorces? Here's what familysearch's wiki has to say about them:

Which includes this statement:
                "The Tennessee State Library and Archives has a state-wide divorce index for July 1, 1945 - December 31, 1959. See their website for instructions to order divorce records prior to 1960" - and it gives the link.

Might be interesting to have that 1952 divorce, too.
                Sarah
                I have copies of the divorce papers for the second marriage of the two. That's how I know the different dates for separation and divorce. He doesn't come out of it well! :( I as able to find it because there was an online index which included it... Probably Michigan divorces?

I hadn't thought about chasing annulment/divorce papers for the first one. that's something I shall aim to follow up.

Thanks to you all for the ideas.

Comment

I've followed the link to the TN divorce records index: Tennessee Divorce and Other Records, 1800-1965 at Ancestry.com. There seems to be no record for a Hazel CROSS; nor for a Leonard BENNETT. It would have to be in 1937, too.

Perhaps a direct contact to officialdom to ask how that could happen is the best bet.

Christine

Comment

Working...
                  X