Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where can I find 19th C London Trade Directories?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where can I find 19th C London Trade Directories?

Hi

I have a relative, Edward Henry Root, who lived at 144 Tooley Street, Southwark, London who was listed as 'Pie Shop Owner' (1851 census), 'Pastry Cook' (1861 and 1871 Census). In 1881 his wife, Virginia B Root, is a widower at the same address and is listed as 'Pastry Cook'. By 1891 Virginia is now living with her son, another Edward Henry, at 66 Jamaica Road, Bermondsey and he is listed as a 'Confectioner' (Employer). In 1901 he is still at 66 Jamaica Road and a Confectioner, at home, living on own means.

I wanted to check out this pie shop - whether it was at Tooley Street or somewhere else - and this confectionery business but can't seem to find any trade directories which can help. I am thinking that maybe they were small scale operations so maybe won't listed but am not sure where to check.

Can anyone please point me in the right direction?

Many thanks.
    :D Charney Jo

Leicester University has a large collection of directories available on-line.

London ones here:

Last edited by AntonyM; 07-02-15, 10:50.
    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Thanks Antony. I will take a look.

Comment

scroll down to Edward Ritchie it mentions a pie shop 144 Tooley Street

Comment

Capture.JPG this is what comes up when you google cannot find the details in the old bailey maybe somebody else can

Comment

Here's the Old Bailey report naming Edward Root's pie shop in Tooley Street
            http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=t18890408-422&div=t18890408-422&terms=Tooley|Street|Pie|shop#highlight
            Last edited by JudithM; 07-02-15, 16:35.
            Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

thats great Judith for some reason I could only get the case above it.

Comment

Wow, thanks all! So, it was a proper pie shop. Now, how on earth do I find it in the trade directories?

Comment

How fabulous! In the 1856 Post Office Directory he is listed. It was an Eel Pie House! http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/15...15,917,999,945

Comment

in other words a pie 'n mash shop my favourite food , I actually order it online and get it delivered .not from there though but Peckham

Comment

and isnt it wonderful to have him in that article at the old bailey

Comment

Yes, thanks so much Val. And very nice he wasn't the one being accused!

Both of my dad's sides came from Bermondsey since the 1850's and, although I don't like liquor sauce (...), we used to go to pie and mash shops when we visited my nan and grandad and my uncle gets it delivered too.

I think I might need to introduce my son to the delights of Manzes

Comment

oh yes best Pie'n'mash in the world I have some in my freezer now;)

Comment

Working...
                          X